U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 02:43 AM

74 posts, read 171,918 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I are both finishing our Bach. degrees in Nursing. We want to relocate from TX. We will be waiting until we both have 1 yr experience as RNs before trying to break into the RN job market there.

Here are some of my concerns, topics of interest etc. I am interested in hearing from people that live there or have lived there recently. I am neurotic about details so feel free to be as specific as you like. We have 4 kids that will be 6,7, and 12 when we move...Thank you so much for your assistance!

1. Winter driving - the cold climate is a big draw for us to the area, but being from TX, we don't have much experience w/ driving in inclement winter weather. How bad is it there? Is it SNOW, or ICE too? Would my wife's camry and my 2 wheel drive Tundra be sufficient with proper tires?

2. Commuting from Woodland Park - The time of the commute is no real concern, but how bad is the pass into the Springs in the winter? We love the look of Woodland Park and really wish for that quintessential CO type property. But can we find a real "Colorado-ey" place in the 'burbs in town??

3. Briargate/D-20 Schools/ D-20 area north of Ute Valley Park/Northgate/Gleneagle - any info you can share on these areas in addition to what is posted on the forum already would be great! We will be looking to rent for a year then buy a large-ish home between 250-300k.

4. Any info on working as an RN in the area?

5. I know the area is mostly conservative and evangelical Christians. We are Christians, but also pretty liberal. (NO THAT IS not an oxymoron lol)
We live in the BUCKLE of the religious opressive bible belt currently. Looking to escape the racism and intolerance that comes with an uneducated populous. How do liberals get along there? Welcome in church,PTA, community organizations?

6. Cost of total utilities for 4 bedroom house?

7. Is D-20 really the best way to go? What about D-38 or D-49? D-12 looks like its a bit pricey per sq.ft. IDK.

8. Commuting to Pueblo or Denver. If my dream job came up at a facility in one of these 2 places, would it be feasible to make the commute 3-4 days a week?? In winter?

9. We are used to scorchingly hot, miserable summers..like I said we're Texans. I lived in Evergreen, CO as a kid for about a year..but what are some challenges of living in a cold/snowy climate we may not have thought about? (Snow blowers needed? things like that)

10. If you were forced to choose only ONE thing to tell a person relocating to the area, what is the most important one piece of wisdom you would share?

Sorry for the novel! Anything you want to share would be so appreciated! Thank you for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 04:21 AM

5,011 posts, read 6,698,140 times
1. Winter driving - If by ice, you mean ice storms like Oklahoma, no. But snow and ice from time to time, yes. Lots of scraping windshields in winter if you don't have a garage. For city driving, your vehicles should be fine.

2. Commuting from Woodland Park - Most of the time its not bad as long you're patient when it snows and not in a big hurry to get home or to work.

5. I know the area is mostly conservative and evangelical Christians. We are Christians, but also pretty liberal. (NO THAT IS not an oxymoron lol)
We live in the BUCKLE of the religious opressive bible belt currently. Looking to escape the racism and intolerance that comes with an uneducated populous. How do liberals get along there? Welcome in church,PTA, community organizations?

There's a good mix here. I have friends who are self-avowed liberal Christians and they say it can take awhile to find the right church, but they're out there. Racism/intolerance not really high on the issue list here, but more of economic/political conservatism vs. liberalism are bigger issues here. Liberals are here and doing fine, but tend to like the West side in particular.

7. They're all good. More people are currently unhappy with D-49 than the others you mentioned because of some decisions the board made lately, like charging for bus service that used to be free.

8. Commuting to Pueblo or Denver.
Pueblo is the much nicer commute, imho - both weather and volume considered. If you do that, pick a home in the southern areas like D12 or D3 or D8.

9. If you had a snow blower, it wouldn't get much use here in town.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:11 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,490,933 times
You might use a snowblower, depending where in town you live! The Colorado Springs area has many microclimates, so it's good to be able to come in town and check things out. Don't be afraid to explore and consider area outside the Northeast side. Lots of cool pockets all over. If you want Colorado-y consider the westside, Garden of the Gods area and Manitou Springs. Remember, the south end of town is much more temperate: I see sometimes 10 degrees of difference between downtown and my work @ Gleneagle.

Explore if you can.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:26 PM

2,867 posts, read 7,104,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
9. If you had a snow blower, it wouldn't get much use here in town.
Uh, yup. Wish I wouldn't have brought that stupid thing out from Ohio with me.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:55 PM

17 posts, read 49,581 times
I just moved here myself - but I can help with a few of your questions:

1. Winter driving - If you get good all weather tires you should be okay in your cars, as long as you're not planning to take them into mountain areas. I have only been here for a short time, but I grew up in MN/WI and have a little 2 wheel drive car that survived 3 winters in northern WI with no incident. Just make sure you practice driving in the snow when you get a chance. My big winter driving advice is to give yourself LOTS of time to brake before you expect to stop.

5. "I know the area is mostly conservative and evangelical Christians. We are Christians, but also pretty liberal." - I also consider myself a "liberal christian" and was worried about finding a church here, but I asked around and found a great one that I love after being here just a few weeks. And I haven't felt judged or pressured because of my views since I got here.

9. challenges of living in a cold/snowy climate - keep a shovel and window scraper in your car at all times. And if you have to walk a distance to work (even just a big parking lot) make sure you have shoes with good traction cuz sidewalks can get icy.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:45 AM

114 posts, read 177,289 times
1. I moved here from Alabama last year, and was completely freaked out about winter driving. I got some studded snow tires for my Corolla and didn't have any problems. Doesn't mean I'm not still kinda freaked out driving on hilly icy roads at night, though!

5. Same situation - you'll be in heaven here!

8. I have a few friends in the medical field who had to go to Pueblo for jobs - apparently the market in the Springs is pretty tight. But they do the weekly commute with no problems. Just budget a LOT for gas money.

9. Like another poster said, if you don't have a garage, plan to do a lot of scraping. Basically, add an extra 10 minutes to your morning time allowance every day just in case. I was late for work a lot last winter - oops!

10. Be prepared for an interesting driving experience! Since we have people from all over the country (and several other countries), every driver seems to have their own style and rules. Some days, you get stuck behind people crawling along at 10 under the speed limit, and other days you feel like you're in a race you didn't sign up for. Also, nobody here comes to a full stop at stop signs. Ever.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:52 AM

1,207 posts, read 4,142,001 times
1. We moved from San Diego 7 years ago to Monument and never drove in snow/ice. If you are commuting to work, I would recommend having at least one AWD vehicle. It makes a big difference, especially if you want to live in a 'Colorado-ery' area. I drive a 2wd Toyota pickup in the winter with snow tires. Works good, not great, for most conditions.
2. Woodland Park is a great place to experience that Colorado-ery, small town experience. IMHO, it would limit your job locations to WP or downtown COS. Living in Monument would give you reasonable access to all of COS as well as Castle Rock and south Denver.
3. D20 is a highly rated school district, but does not have a 'Colorado-ery' feel, more like contemporary suburban sprawl communities. OK for a lot of ppl, not our choice. D38 is rated even higher and there are many areas of the district that are hilly and covered with pine trees.
4. We have a neighbor that became an RN a couple of years ago and it took her 6 months of volunteer work to be offered a full time position. Not sure how it is now, especially if you have some experience.
5. Never had any problems in this area one way or the other. We are fairly conservative, but have friends on both ends of the spectrum.
6. Will vary with location and build quality. Our 1992 2 story+basement 3600 ft home will use $250+ of natural gas during a cold windy month. Wind makes a sizeable difference in heating costs for us. Homes that are more protected will probably be cheaper to heat. We don't have or need a/c.
7. see #3
8. Not practical from Woodland Park. I drive from Monument to Pueblo Airport at least once a week and it takes me about 1:10. I can drive to DIA in about the same time.
9. I bought a used blower when we first moved here and upgraded when a neighbor with a north-facing driveway bought a 'mega-blower', and I bought his old one. I rarely have to use it as most of the time the snow here(7500 ft) is light and fluffly. I can easily clean my drive with a hand plow. A lots of ppl don't even remove the snow. If the drive is relatively flat you can just drive over the snow. There is little water content and it crushes flat nicely. Of course there are major storms every once in a while and the blower comes in handy. I kinda enjoy throwing snow. Look for a flat, south facing driveway. It will make winter a ton more enjoyable.
10. Set aside a time to visit. I spent over 150 days here before we moved, due to work. We were looking for that Colorado-ery feel also and found it in Monument(Woodmoor to be exact). You might also look in Palmer Lake and Black Forest.
These are all my opinions based on what we've experienced from our move here and during the last 7 years. Good Luck.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:27 PM

74 posts, read 171,918 times
Awesome thank you guys for all of the info! Anyone else have anything to add?

Man it is 106 in TX right now...We're dreaming of some relief from this 8 month summer : (

Old 08-29-2011, 11:11 AM

2,867 posts, read 7,104,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar9918 View Post
Awesome thank you guys for all of the info! Anyone else have anything to add?

Man it is 106 in TX right now...We're dreaming of some relief from this 8 month summer : (
Be careful what you wish for lol, you'll get 3 or 4 months of warm weather here, although the winters here are mild and the cold snaps aren't very long.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:35 PM

842 posts, read 1,251,330 times
My snowblower is my broom. I think I used the scraper part of my ...snow scraper... once. Most of the time it's just the brush. Sometimes (not this year, and from the sounds of it, not next year) we may have a wet, heavy snow that requires the heavy duty snow removal stuff, but I haven't really encountered it. Maybe if it was warm during the day, and the snow melted and turned to ice on my car.

A snow blower would make a huge mess, with how dry the snow is here.

I love District 11. Lots of awesome diversity of opinion and people that you may not encounter in other school districts in the area. Good, top notch schools as well.

If I was to tell one thing to someone? Stop looking at the mountains while you drive, they aren't going anywhere, but you are (my father in law would pay more attention to the views than to the drive and it always scared the crap out of me!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs