U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 03:32 AM

11 posts, read 10,673 times

Advertisements

Hello dear friends.
I am from Bulgaria(East Europe).Me and my wife,we participated in DV lottery 2012(green card lottery) and my wife won.So now we are waiting for our immigrant visa.We decided to go because we believe our son(9 years of age)will have better future in USA.
We decided to go in Colorado Springs,because we have a friend there.And it's always better to know somebody when you go in a new place.I know he will give us most of the information we need,but I will appreciate if any of you can spare a minute to help with any tips you think will be helpful.It will be difficult new beginning for us but I am sure we will cope with it.From the information I've got from internet CS it's a beautiful place to live.

1.My son speaks very little English,is there in the schools some preparatoty classes for kids like him.

2. Currently I am working as a police officer for six years now.I would like to continue in a security occupation.Is it very difficult to find a security job and what license I'll need to get.

3.About the medical insurance

4.Driver license.How long can I use mine if it's not american.

5.Is it true it's very difficult to rent an apartment if you don't have a credit history.

6.And everything you think is inportance.

Thank you very,very much in advance and all the best for all of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:14 AM

12,838 posts, read 23,141,575 times
Welcome!

1. Many (if not all) schools have English as a second language (ESL) program. Your son would likely be in class with many kids whose native language is Spanish, but I believe they teach the class in a way where kids of any native tongue can learn English.

2. In order to work as a security guard, one needs to obtain a "guard card", and from what I understand, these are pretty easy to get. If you wanted to have a career in law enforcement (police, sheriff, etc), you would need more formal training (police academy, law enforcement education, etc).

3. You get to pay for it yourself via a private insurer you find yourself, but as of right now you aren't required to have it. Some (very few these days) companies offer health insurance as a benefit, but many companies don't. There are public programs for the needy, and should you have an emergency, even if you don't have insurance the hospital is required to treat you.

4. I'm not sure, but I doubt you would be able to use your foreign driver's license for long. It would probably benefit you to get your CO driver's license as quickly as possible.

5. Not if you come with a big wad of cash, landlords may take a larger deposit in lieu of a credit history. Private landlords are easier to rent from (initially) as opposed to big corporate apartment complexes (who tend to have more stringent requirements).

6. Good luck, welcome, and don't be afraid to ask any further questions!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:45 AM

Thank you David for all the information.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:56 AM

2,864 posts, read 7,086,324 times
Yes, in order to be a security guard in Colorado Springs, you need a city license, it cost about $100 USD.

I'm not sure what it takes for a non citizen to get a US driver's license, you'd have to call the department of motor vehicles to get that info.

As far as the apartment goes, yea, a big wad of cash goes a long way towards getting one, if you have no credit history.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:35 AM

Our status will be permanent resident alien.Ones we arrive we will reseive resident cards and CCN.After 5 years you can apply for US citizenship if you want.
Ofcourse I will not have a credit history because I never lived thetre.Hope it doesn't mean we have to sleep on the street.As you said maybe we have to pay larger deposit.

Last edited by Plamen; 08-31-2011 at 09:45 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 10:10 AM

2,864 posts, read 7,086,324 times
Of course you wont have to sleep on the street. I'm sure there are realtors in the Springs area that specialize in people coming from overseas, and could point you in the right direction.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:20 AM

Thank you.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:58 PM

919 posts, read 1,026,124 times
You may want to do a search online to see if there is a Bulgarian community in CS or Colorado, that has already gone through the process and may be able to offer suggestions. I am sending you a link via PM that may help with your creditless apartment search.

Welcome! And good luck.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:38 PM

4,989 posts, read 6,657,219 times
Just fyi, most school districts consolidate their ELL services. That is, they will offer services wherever needed, but if you happen to pick a school with very few English Language Learners, what is offered will not be as much as if you choose a school with more of them.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:26 PM

466 posts, read 879,434 times
I came to the US from Germany 6 years ago. My husband is American with bad credit. To rent an apartment wasn't that difficult, we just had to pay a bigger deposit and others. So, I don't think you will have big problems to find an apartment, it might just a bit more expensive, because you all are foreigners.
Get an international driver license from your Bulgaria, than it would be so difficult to get your US driving licences, I am sure. You just have to take the test and they aren't very expensive. Look on the Colorado DMV website for this kind of information.
Welcome to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or