U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 03:13 PM

2,867 posts, read 7,113,159 times

Advertisements

No, not really, just know that it always snows first above the Palmer Divide.
Palmer Divide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 03:24 PM

20,359 posts, read 37,893,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
No, not really, just know that it always snows first above the Palmer Divide.
Palmer Divide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
'zackly. On top Pikes Peak, it snows a lot, even had a few inches in early August that quickly got zapped by the sun. The higher the elevation, the more snow falls, the lower you go the more rain and less snow.

Temps are an inverse relationship to elevation:
higher elevation = lower temps = more snow = slower meltout
lower elevation = higher temps = less snow = quicker meltout

Don't know of any maps of micro-climes, but I'll take a stab at it:
- Colder/snowier are the higher places (Woodland Park, Divide, Cripple Creek, Victor, Monument, Palmer Lake, etc)

- Middle range might be the far north end sub-divs like Cordera, Wolf Ranch, Briargate, Pine Creek, Gleneagle, etc. Slightly higher than downtown but not as high as the prior category.

- Least cold/snowy is downtown COLO SPGS, most of the city, and places south, like Fountain, Security, Fort Carson.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:31 PM

2,867 posts, read 7,113,159 times
Yea, I used to work at Ft Carson, but I live up north in Rockrimmon. More often than not, there'd be nothing when I left work and by the time I got north of Uintah, it would be snowing, and then progress to snow covered roads by the time I got home.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:20 AM

74 posts, read 172,190 times
Be aware that currently, new grad BSNs are having a bit of a tough time finding jobs in Colorado. It's kind of that way all over. BSNs are faring better than ADNs apparently. We may have to wait until I have 1 yr experience in TX first before getting hired on at one of the hospitals..so keep that in mind. I'm still going to TRY and land a new grad RN spot there..but hope for the best and plan for "the worst". Good luck to you both : )
Moving to C.Springs and working as RNs there has become a major life goal for us too! We talk about it wayyyyy too much lol.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:49 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,723,049 times
I've noticed there seems to be an abundance of nurses wanting to move to this city--more so than any other profession. What is the particular draw for nurses to Colorado Springs? Clearly the effect has been that is harder to find work and the wages for nurses are lower, but we keep coming. My wife is currently working at a hospital, and we plan to be here til she has over a year of experience at the hospital. It is still a concern moving to a city where the hospital is so swamped with applicants that they can be that picky. The cost of living is lower here, and the wages are higher. The winters are still stupid though, the summers are humid, and there aren't enough of the conveniences we associate with larger cities. There are some places here with natural beauty, but property taxes are high (almost triple what they are there) and may continue to climb.

We actually have higher sales tax, income tax, and property tax. I'm tired of the taxes.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:58 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,498,058 times
Yes, you just have to think about north vs south and east vs west plus altitude. Lower altitude and latitude generally equals milder. However, if you go too far east, the exposure and winds can make it harsher and if you are too far west, the shadow shadows can make it cooler and canyons can bring down cold air.

You might start checking out wunderground.com and it will show you realtime temps from various neighborhood reporting locations.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:34 PM

74 posts, read 172,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I've noticed there seems to be an abundance of nurses wanting to move to this city--more so than any other profession. What is the particular draw for nurses to Colorado Springs? Clearly the effect has been that is harder to find work and the wages for nurses are lower, but we keep coming. My wife is currently working at a hospital, and we plan to be here til she has over a year of experience at the hospital. It is still a concern moving to a city where the hospital is so swamped with applicants that they can be that picky. The cost of living is lower here, and the wages are higher. The winters are still stupid though, the summers are humid, and there aren't enough of the conveniences we associate with larger cities. There are some places here with natural beauty, but property taxes are high (almost triple what they are there) and may continue to climb.

We actually have higher sales tax, income tax, and property tax. I'm tired of the taxes.
I think RNs are always looking to new places because the career is so portable compared with many others. That is one of the many things that attracted me to nursing in fact. It is a little nerve racking though inagining the hospitals being super picky..Eventually everyone will likley find their place but how long will it take?? The million dollar question i 'spose!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:18 PM

934 posts, read 1,038,173 times
"15. I've heard water costs are going up and there is some kind of lawn treatment suggested to use less water. What is it and how much do you save? We'll look at things as small as a .10 acre, but our favorites are usually .2 to .25"

Do an online search for "xeriscaping in Colorado". This is the high desert, and it just doesn't make sense (or cents) to pretend otherwise. You can do some beautiful things with the right kinds of low-water plants and rocks, and your water bill will thank you. It makes so much more sense, and is way easier to take care of once you get a nice xeriscape gargen in place.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:17 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,132,583 times
My wife is a RN and didn't like working at the hospital in WP.... too small for her taste. She is now working per diem at Memorial central and loves it there.

But we love living in WP, the cooler temps are a plus in the summer. We do get quite a bit more snow in the winter though, but we love snow so no issue there.

After visiting my sister in Grinnell, IA several times, including the winter, I don't blame you for wanting to leave. I've been in two ice storms there that were horrible, just a boring place with a cold winter.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:10 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,723,049 times
Great replies. Thank you so much for the information. I've been on a mission since we decided to up our time table from 5 ish years to 1-2. Iowa does get boring frequently. We have a few nice spots to sit and enjoy the scenery, but most of the state of Colorado is that way. There are also so many more days for it out there. Here it is either too hot or too cold most of the time. (Generally too cold) We have about 1/3rd of the year where it is fairly nice but humidity is always high. The irony is I tell people here we are planning to move to Colorado and their eyes get all big asking if we've been out there and as often as not they say they left their heart in Colorado when they came out here for family members and they hope to move back. We plan to invite the family to join us out in Colorado.

Are there any areas within 50 miles (preferably within 20-30) that have more trees? When my parents move out here they would like to get some acreage with trees. They won't have the lung capacity to live any higher than WP at the highest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or