U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your Choice. And what would fit COS best?
Major/Large Aquarium 5 13.89%
Huge Water Park 3 8.33%
Six Flags Amusement Park 6 16.67%
Large Mall Downtown 10 27.78%
Streetcar Tour around the city 5 13.89%
other (explain please) 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:18 PM

19,067 posts, read 8,969,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Picture downtown Colorado springs with a walking/streetcar mall on Tejon. Hope someday the leaders of this town will take note!!!!!
I think you're right! I recently spent a day in Boulder...what a wonderful (and popular) pedestrian-friendly downtown they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 09:30 AM

2,867 posts, read 7,114,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
I know something I'd like to see and I suspect Ryan as well: Auto racing's return to PPIR.
I used to live in Midway right behind PPIR and yea, I'd love to see some real racing return to it. NASA is doing some minor road racing down there right now, but nothing exciting.

I'd like to see the IRL add that to it's schedule.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 AM

226 posts, read 474,612 times
Just got back from cos this morning. I think a mall downtown would be a nice thing to add.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:19 PM

727 posts, read 1,138,317 times
Ryan - Just completed a track day at PPIR. What a great facility. Clean, modern, smooth track surface, and then there's that oval (whew!). Heard a presentation from the manager. The news is that Bondurant is establishing a school at PPIR. Starting June 1, 2012, they'll be offering corporate high performance driving packages, with a full menu of driving programs to follow. One of the big draws for Bondurant is that PPIR is expanding their facility by building a new road course on the outer boundaries on the existing track. Not sure when that's going to happen, but it sounded like that was the tipping point in getting Bondurant here, as there's no room for expanding the track at his existing facility in AZ. They've already got the Richard Petty and Rusty Wallace Driving Experiences on an occasional basis, as well as their usual open track days. They're doing vintage racing once or twice a year and they'll be hosting a big SCCA race weekend in June or July, I believe. What the PPIR guy said is that rather than spectator driving events (such as IRL, NASCAR, etc.), they're going to concentrate on participant-driven events and programs. So, they're actively pursuing the Corvette, Porsche, etc., club events (track days, autocrosses), as well as karting and SCCA races, along with their Petty, Wallace and now Bondurant events. They're also tying the Petty/Wallace/Bondurant programs into relationships with the Broadmoor as part of the big time conferences at that facility (wouldn't you rather get on a real race track, with qualified instructors in Corvettes than play in the company golf tournament?). Good story about it in the Gazette this past weekend. Their business model seems to be paying off, as they're fully booked every weekend this summer and plan on keeping the events going pretty much year round. So, even though we probably won't be seeing big time racing any time soon, the chance to actually run on the track at speed (over the two days, I had a total of about 2.5 hours of actual track time) was more than a good trade off. Can't wait to go back.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:05 PM

12,105 posts, read 20,401,913 times
^

That is good news for PPIR. I have always liked that place and feel that it has been underutilized.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:21 PM

469 posts, read 732,830 times
I would like to see COS stay the way it is. In fact I would like to see less people in the area.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:36 PM

20,363 posts, read 37,902,723 times
Today's Gazette is reporting that the Mayor seems interested in getting the Martin Drake power plant out of downtown, and also has met with executives of the Skysox baseball team.

If a stadium does get built downtown, I'd like it to be useful for multiple sports, minimally minor league baseball and the budding minor league for football. Soccer could be added if a team existed.

Denver's downtown is quite vibrant, partly (largely?) due to the presence of two major league stadiums.

Baltimore's downtown was re-invigorated with baseball's Camden Yards, the alleged model for Coors Field. Baltimore later added a football stadium for the Ravens, next to Camden Yards. These additions transformed the area into a huge draw.

A stadium gets a few thousand people downtown when in use, creating a base from which further draws can be added - destination eateries like a Cheesecake Factory or Rainforest Cafe. Each added draw helps downtown reach the critical mass it needs to be a thriving district.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:21 PM

44 posts, read 295,656 times
I would like all of the above.

Unfortunately, Colorado Springs will always be the equivalent of a suburb to a big city, but without a big city to be a suburb to.

Can you imagine how great this place would be if Denver was 15 minutes away, not 50!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,933,814 times
Then you would have all of the issues that the Denver suburbs have vs. the small town neighborhood feel in a large city.

I'd hate to see the Sky Sox move downtown. I live on the east side and I enjoy going to a number of ball games a year. It is easy in and easy out.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:14 PM

44 posts, read 295,656 times
I would love to see downtown become more of a destination.

Bring in some attractions and make Tejon a walking mall much like 16th Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or