Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your Choice. And what would fit COS best?
Major/Large Aquarium 5 13.89%
Huge Water Park 3 8.33%
Six Flags Amusement Park 6 16.67%
Large Mall Downtown 10 27.78%
Streetcar Tour around the city 5 13.89%
other (explain please) 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:52 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
- Air Force Academy
- Pikes Peak
- Garden of the Gods
- Olympic Training Center
- Seven Falls
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo/Shrine of the Sun
- Cliff Dwellings
- Cave of the Winds
- Cheyenne Canon/Helen Hunt Falls
- Manitou Springs
- Old Colorado City
- Cheyenne Mountain State Park
- Royal Gorge
- Sky Sox Baseball
- CC (or AF) Hockey
- Various events at the World Arena
-The Broadmoor

I dunno, Gfitz. If you can't find something for a visitor to do around here (or locals), you're not looking very hard.
I've done everything you have listed multiple times. It gets old after awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 02:40 PM

598 posts, read 1,546,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I've done everything you have listed multiple times. It gets old after awhile.
So does everything else listed in the poll.

Colorado Springs offers a lot to do for the average person...most which cost little to nothing.

I still like the fact that Colorado Springs feels like a smaller town. I don't mind visiting Denver or other large cities, but wouldn't want to live there myself.

The free market determines what is viable...nothing in the poll is viable long-term.

Case in point...I only have so many weekends that I can really spend the entire Saturday and/or Sunday out and about. What do I do on those weekends?
AF Football
Day trip to Breckenridge
Skysox game
Day trip to Denver
AF Hockey
Car shows
Garden of the Gods
Hiking (which I do on a regular basis)
Biking
Rockies game in Denver
Day trip to Estes Park
Camping in the mountains

I could go on and on...there is always something to do in and around the area on the weekends.

Lastly, it's amazing how many people in Denver come to Colorado Springs for entertainment. Hilarious, isn't it? They come here to "get away from it all".

Bottom line: I love this city...for what it is and for what it isn't.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:56 PM

503 posts, read 800,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
- Air Force Academy
- Pikes Peak
- Garden of the Gods
- Olympic Training Center
- Seven Falls
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo/Shrine of the Sun
- Cliff Dwellings
- Cave of the Winds
- Cheyenne Canon/Helen Hunt Falls
- Manitou Springs
- Old Colorado City
- Cheyenne Mountain State Park
- Royal Gorge
- Sky Sox Baseball
- CC (or AF) Hockey
- Various events at the World Arena
-The Broadmoor

I dunno, Gfitz. If you can't find something for a visitor to do around here (or locals), you're not looking very hard.
I am very aware. I didn't mean to say majorly lacking (can't change the wording now), but The point of the thread is what would people like to see in the COS area..rather than what does COS already have.

Not stating this as a bad thing, but I realized thats Alot of people are aposed to these ideas i came up with (its just a thread, its not like its going to happen anytime soon). I also realized that people on here do not like change, where as Denver (where i'm living now) is very much into change. It wasn't meant as a Which TOURIST attraction does the city need?". It was more of a "Which do you Residents want to see in your city?". if you don't care for any of the options I respect that, but one thing (aquarium,six flags,..etc) woldn't change the city.

Anywho, what i would like to see is a Six Flags Park Downtown. I like the concept of Elitch Gardens being in DTD, I think it would work just as well for COS. I also wouldn't mind having An Aquarium or Water Park in COS.

I know i said that it wasn't a tourist type thread, but In all honesty, I think Denverites would like a mini day trip to one of these attractions. I'm not trying to make COS out to be another Denver, but this is just my opinion.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:25 AM

37 posts, read 66,433 times
Our senses are the gateway to our addictions. Each time we do something exciting we need to do something bigger to get the same feeling of reward. This is a human condition. We, like all animals, are controlled by our addictions and is a tool for our survival. The human problem is that we have these huge brains that have learned how to exploit the environment to engorge our senses beyond what is needed. For example, we refine sugar cane and take out all the minerals to get at the sugar, we harvest and refine coco leaves to make cocaine. Now, with the psychology and marketing, we are trying to refine human experience to extract the suffering so we can experience only joy.

Like all of these refinements, they are unsustainable and leave us malnourished.

So, no, a Six Flags would be like brain crack, and I think it would do more harm than good.

I think it is better to examine our addictions instead of blindly appeasing them.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:36 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
I would love to go hike the trails at Glen Eyrie Castle, But I refuse to have anything to do with those religious whack jobs. They should do what is right and donate the property to the city. It DID afterall belong to William Palmer at one point.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:15 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
I know i said that it wasn't a tourist type thread, but In all honesty, I think Denverites would like a mini day trip to one of these attractions. I'm not trying to make COS out to be another Denver, but this is just my opinion.
I have family in Denver and I know that when they want to get away for a day or a weekend, they go to places like Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, Kittredge, Buena Vista, Blackhawk and Central City, Granby Lake, Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Aspen, Winter Park, Cherry Creek Reservoir, or they'll go to Cripple Creek, Woodland Park with the Cultural Center and Dinosaur Museum, Mueller State Park, Eleven Mile or Spinney Mountain reservoirs, Florissant Fossil Beds, Manitou Lake, Pikes Peak Cog Railway, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo...lots of places besides water parks, aquariums or amusement parks.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:14 PM

503 posts, read 800,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I have family in Denver and I know that when they want to get away for a day or a weekend, they go to places like Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, Kittredge, Buena Vista, Blackhawk and Central City, Granby Lake, Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Aspen, Winter Park, Cherry Creek Reservoir, or they'll go to Cripple Creek, Woodland Park with the Cultural Center and Dinosaur Museum, Mueller State Park, Eleven Mile or Spinney Mountain reservoirs, Florissant Fossil Beds, Manitou Lake, Pikes Peak Cog Railway, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo...lots of places besides water parks, aquariums or amusement parks.
Yes but does that mean that it wouldn't be cool to have Water parks, Aquarium...etc?? Those options are nice, but half of them you have to get out of the city to do. It would be nice to have Nice family oriented places to go withing the city..right?

Com'mon people..its just a thread! Lets be open-minded about it! If Cheyenne Mountain Zoo weren't there and a zoo was on the list (the one i made)..i bet people would be saying that COS didn't need a Zoo! It would be good to have these things (especially for the kids).

Look at this thread...

What is Denver Missing?

People are opening up to the possibilities! Its not bad to think outside the box. Even if these things probably will never happen.

I think i said it before but...(not that its a bad thing) but COS people like to keep things the way they are...while as Denverites are all about "the new".

Old 09-09-2011, 02:33 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,178 times
I'd like to see a portion of downtown turned into a walking mall; something like what Fort Collins has. Maybe a couple of blocks of Tejon. I don't think traffic is so bad downtown that the area couldn't accommodate it fairly easily. I think that would help attract a more diversified retail business environment than just the bars and restaurants that populate that area now and be a magnet for the locals to spend some time in the downtown core. I would think there would be a spillover effect in the surrounding blocks. I think CS has the potential to be a very inviting downtown, but it seems disjointed with no real unifying element. Oh yeah...at the same time (or how about now?) eliminate the parking meters in the central core (such a disincentive or at least a nuisance to come downtown).

Old 09-09-2011, 07:53 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,859,463 times
We already have highrises ... they're called mountains. Another mall? Really? People come here for what is naturally all around us, and there's plenty of it. Let them go to Denver for the man-made stuff. Though after a summer like the one we just had ... I might not say no to a water park.

I have never heard a visitor say "waa waa, there's nothing to see or do here".

Old 09-09-2011, 11:11 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,178 times
You're missing my point. No high rises. No shopping mall like Citadel or Chapel Hills or anything like that. Take what what we have now, get the cars off a stretch of a couple of the blocks of Tejon in the heart of downtown, put down paving stones in the street, clean up the store fronts, and do whatever to attract some local artists and other small retailers in addition to the bars and restaurants that are there now. The idea is to give the CS residents a real downtown destination spot (wasn't that the purpose of this thread?) that they can point to with civic pride. If you haven't seen what Fort Collins did with a few downtown blocks, you should check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs