U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 04:48 PM

58 posts, read 183,296 times

Advertisements

Our family is considering a move to the area. We currently live in phoenix.

Looking for suggestions on things to do/places to drive to in order to get a
feel for the Colorado Springs and surrounding areas (within 10 miles or so). If we move, we will rent first to see where we want to buy but we'd like to visit to see if it's somewhere we are interested in.

And also, what's a nice time to visit? I'd rather not be tromping around in snow with my toddler on a "scouting out the area" trip.

Tourist suggestions are great but if there's somewhere an ignorant tourist might miss that you know about...please let me know.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 05:03 PM

20,376 posts, read 37,929,562 times
Here's a list of the basics, to which I'd add:

Pioneer Museum

Garden of the Gods PARK

USAF Academy and its visitors center

Good times to visit would be Sept and Oct. Peak season for viewing fall colors is about 20 Sept to 10 Oct, depending on elevation.

Nov isn't bad either. If sunny, it feels mild. Could get an odd snow storm at any time but it melts out in a hurry when the sun comes back out.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:05 PM

58 posts, read 183,296 times
Thanks mike, by the way, your posts are extremely helpful. I am also from back east (New England)and the fact that you like it there makes me think I might too. I realize it's a different beauty than the East but that's ok. I've been wandering the desert (Arizona) for 11 years now and we need a change.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:46 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,935,986 times
I'm from New England as well and just love it here! We still have four seasons even though they don't come in the same order sometimes, there isn't much gradual change from season to season, but having a number of 60 degree days in the middle of winter isn't bad at all.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Status: "Snow in the high country and I'm missing it!" (set 3 days ago)

4,677 posts, read 6,771,657 times
I moved from Divide (west of the Springs) to Tucson a year ago. I still visit Woodland Park and Denver every year to see family. One thing you won't have is heat. September and October are beautiful, usually. Brilliant blue skies, crisp air and golden leaves. Cool mornings and evenings, but warm days. It can snow in late October, but it's not too likely.

Since you have a toddler, I'd suggest the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. Also Seven Falls, the North Pole (lots of kiddy rides and a year round Santa), the Cog Railway up Pikes Peak, and if you feel like driving up to Woodland Park, the Rocky Mountain Dinosaur Museum.

Welcome to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo's Website!

Seven Falls | Home

North Pole Santa's Workshop in Colorado at the foot of Pikes Peak

Rocky Mountain Dinosaur Resource Center | dinosaur museum (Dinosaur Museum)

Pike's Peak Cog Railway - The world's highest cog railroad, the highest Colorado railroad AND highest train in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs