Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:13 PM

26 posts, read 43,085 times

Advertisements

After being laid off from my job last August in San Diego, we decided to move to Colorado Springs. My wife works in a very stable industry and could find a job virtually anywhere she goes. Since our families were here already, it seemed like a no-brainer when we moved out here.

Today she has a fantastic job. She makes decent money, has profit sharing opportunities, and our health insurance is paid for. I, on the other hand, am still collecting an unemployment check.

I apply for jobs daily. From here to Denver, and down to Pueblo as well. I've been called in for a handful of interviews with national companies; but not the local or mom and pop shops. I understand that the economy is horrible, but with atleast 200 job applications and resumes floating around out there, you'd think someone would appreciate what I have to offer, not just the Wal-marts and Home Depots around the city. It's become apparent that the pride of the locals is what is causing me to fail in my job hunt, not my lack of experience. On paper I am an ideal prospect, let alone an asset to whomever would hire me.

Out of curiosity I thought I'd ask if I'm right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 08:17 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
What sort of work do you do?

This is a big town for defense work, especially for those with clearances.

The gazette paper today mentioned that a call center is seeking 250 people, but that's not my idea of a great job.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 PM

26 posts, read 43,085 times
I work in construction. I have experience in all aspects including management and trade labor.

The limited work available in the industry explains why there isn't an abundance of jobs popping up, but I only apply for jobs that match my skill-set, which have been quite a few.

I'm not looking for a glamorous job, and I don't demand a career or even stability for that matter. It's just apparent there is some selective hiring going on, or they're not hiring at all.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:08 AM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
Unfortunately, as a nation, the number of people wanting construction jobs and the number of jobs available do not match and are unlikely to for a decade or more - people in those fields but out of work ought to seriously consider some retraining and reinvention of themselves to get employed.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:08 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,315 times
Nothing has changed, it's not what you know, it's who you know.
Some friends in the defence industry get a phone call and they are hired, totally bypassing the process.
RP

Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Nothing has changed, it's not what you know, it's who you know.
Some friends in the defence industry get a phone call and they are hired, totally bypassing the process.
RP
Welcome to Colorado Springs, the biggest little city you'll ever live in. There is a BIG good ole boys network here, and luckily for me, I come from generations of Springs natives, so I know a lot of people and contacts.

Proverick is right, where I worked at Ft. Carson, when jobs opened up, they LEGALLY had to place to job posting to the public and online, but 9 times out of 10, that job was already allocated to someone that already worked there. It was just a formality that it even got put out there.

It sucks, and its definitely not legal, but what employers say they do, and what they actually do is a big difference.

That being said, construction is one of the hardest professions to find any work in, in this city. There's just not much building going on.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:07 AM

486 posts, read 1,496,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTTERMOUTHED View Post
I work in construction. I have experience in all aspects including management and trade labor.

The limited work available in the industry explains why there isn't an abundance of jobs popping up, but I only apply for jobs that match my skill-set, which have been quite a few.

I'm not looking for a glamorous job, and I don't demand a career or even stability for that matter. It's just apparent there is some selective hiring going on, or they're not hiring at all.
If you are willing to travel and work out of town, there are plenty o jobs in construction to be had. My husband's company cannot find enough people to employ because no one wants to travel. PM me if you would like the name of his company.

It's our observation that people who are willing to do HARD work and work LONG hours are few and far between. You would not believe the number of people my husband hires who quit within days because they don't want to do the hard work and work the looooong hours. He has to hire Mexicans to get the job done! No kidding, those folks are the only people who are willing to travel and do the tough work. Go figure. You'd think in this horrible job market that people would be more willing to do anything to get a good paying job but that does not seem to be the case in construction.

I think we've become a nation of lazy asses who prefer to sit behind a computer (and I include myself in that category as well!)

Old 09-08-2011, 11:11 AM

727 posts, read 1,366,058 times
Ryan - I was an HR director for a Federal agency for a number of years before retiring after 35 years in the business. I know DoD has some different rules about posting Fed govt jobs than other agencies, but in most cases, vacancies do not have to be open to the public at large. Most vacancies are filled from within from people already working for the govt, through the merit promotion process. That process is not open to the public (with some exceptions, such as disabled vets, as I recall). What's known as the "area of consideration" is determined by management, depending on the skill set needed for the job and the available qualified labor pool. If that labor pool is already in-house the job's area of consideration will be limited to in-house candidates. If not, then it'll be expanded to outside organizations (i.e., DoD-wide, Govt-wide, the general public, etc.). Because the entire process is on-line these days, all vacancies are posted on USAjobs.gov, whether they're limited to in-house candidates, other government agencies, or open to the public. This is why I advise Fed Govt job seekers to apply for a variety of jobs open to them, even if they may be below their skill or pay level. The idea is to get your foot in the door. Once in, those in-house jobs and promotions will be available to you. Just as in a private firm, if you've got qualified people already on board, who know the work and have the skill, why would you not promote them? Same principle applies to the Govt. In either case, once a person moves up, there will be a vacancy somewhere. Sooner or later, those jobs get posted outside the organization. Pls note that it helps a lot if you're a veteran. You get preference in hiring over non-vets. Disabled vets get more preference. That said, Govt jobs are going to be very hard to come by in the next few years. Budgets are being significantly reduced and many agencies are offering early out packages to reduce their numbers. With the economy the way it is, human nature is to "cocoon" or stay in place, even if, objectively speaking, they're eligible and able to retire, thereby delaying new vacancies. A couple of years ago, OMB was predicting a "tsunami" of Fed retirements due to the Boomer generation reaching retirement age; hasn't happened, and don't count on it any time soon.

Are there abuses to the system? No question. The stories of high ranking military officers using the revolving door to high paying Govt jobs are rampant. There are ways to make it happen legally (but shady). It happens. It needs to be fixed. Is there a good ole boy network for other positions? Sure there is. Just the same as networking in private industry. Do under-qualified friends of friends slip through the cracks? Yes. But the vast majority of jobs (at least in the Govt) are not filled in that manner.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:16 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,559 times
Unfortunately, that's the reality of the world....it's not limited to Colorado Springs...that how it works EVERYWHERE.

You can't make someone hire you over anyone else....the freedom to choose is a good thing, no??

Keep trying...I'm sure you'll land a job eventually....jobs are hard to come by because so many people are looking.....good luck to you.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:50 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,951,921 times
Try getting into a labor union in NYC if you want to experience corruption!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs