U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2011, 10:36 AM
 
37 posts, read 56,480 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post

Which then brings up the question, why bother? It cost more money and effort in order for me not to drive to work. That's how it's been for years here in the Springs- it's never been a good mass transit area, or else your argument would work. It's never been good, so not many people use the public transit, so as a result, it is a money pit. If it had been an excellent, reliable way of transportation for years, for many, many people, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. So the chicken and egg discussion is quite apt here.

Also what comes into play is the mentality of the West. Much less govermental intrusiveness (is that even a word?) and more self-reliance. Colorado Springs in general has been very anti-tax, and has voted down many tax increases that would help with the funding of the mass transit. Since the mass transit is not a service many people use, it was cut in favor of public safety, USOC handouts, etc. (haha :P)
Public transportation is never meant to make money, it is meant to enhance the economic vitality of a community. But, that is America's dominant ideology, if we cannot count the beans then our mind shuts down as to an items usefulness.

It is often the most least self reliant are the loudest champions of self reliance. They rely on a car company to get their transportation instead of walking. They rely on McDonalds to cook their food instead of making it themselves, etc. The modern "self reliant" are prone to the psychology of marketing. Take anyone who approaches you claiming to be self reliant and put them in the woods and see how they end up.

The old skool self reliant knew the value of community and were self reliant so they could be strong and healthy enough not just for themselves, but so they had the ability and expertise to help others in the community. How many pioneers came out west all by themselves? As a group, they were self reliant, they knew the interdependence they shared with each other.

 
Old 09-07-2011, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
583 posts, read 1,306,004 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRSB View Post
We all pay for someone else's transportation. The taxes I pay are used for road construction and upkeep, yes? They are used for the police to ensure the roads are safe. And then I am forced to buy insurance, which, if I am a good driver, it is all wasted on someone else, yes? Not to mention all the subsidies to your fuel you get from government support of the oil industries. So, for some reason, you only see the subsidization of buses, but neglect all the benefits you receive from the public road system.

Plus, I am more than willing to pay for the bus, but I cannot pay for the bus if they do not have them.

And as to why people do not use it, sort of a chicken or the egg thing, yes? I have lived in many cities, and I found people used good public transit because, well, it was good.

Plus, not everyone can drive, nor can everyone, at all times, afford a car. So it is kind of an insurance policy for you as well.
So, using your theory, why can't a poor person living outside of town get free transportation too??? Why is it just the poor people living in town?
 
Old 09-07-2011, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
583 posts, read 1,306,004 times
Reputation: 493
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from omebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work, because somebody else is going to get what they work for, this is sad...very sad.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
583 posts, read 1,306,004 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRSB View Post
It is often the most least self reliant are the loudest champions of self reliance. They rely on a car company to get their transportation instead of walking. They rely on McDonalds to cook their food instead of making it themselves, etc. The modern "self reliant" are prone to the psychology of marketing. Take anyone who approaches you claiming to be self reliant and put them in the woods and see how they end up.

Ok, I'll bite. You make some very bold statements...can you back them up with facts?

I would say I'm pretty self reliant. I don't rely on McDonalds to cook my food...and I would do just fine in the woods by myself. I could go on and on, but I'll let you direct your questions to me to prove that I'm not self-reliant. I will answer honestly.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 04:42 PM
 
37 posts, read 56,480 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
So, using your theory, why can't a poor person living outside of town get free transportation too??? Why is it just the poor people living in town?
I am not talking about the people in another town. I am just talking about A town, Colorado Springs.

I am saying public transportation is a good idea in any town.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 04:50 PM
 
37 posts, read 56,480 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
Ok, I'll bite. You make some very bold statements...can you back them up with facts?

I would say I'm pretty self reliant. I don't rely on McDonalds to cook my food...and I would do just fine in the woods by myself. I could go on and on, but I'll let you direct your questions to me to prove that I'm not self-reliant. I will answer honestly.
Just the fact that you are on a FREE community forum proves that you are not self reliant. And I am pretty certain you did not build your computer yourself.

But the most disturbing thing is that you feel it is a flaw that you depend on other people. You would not even have learned how to write if you were "self reliant". That is what I mean, it is a myth. You got where you are today because of community, because of a sharing of a common wealth.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 04:56 PM
 
37 posts, read 56,480 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from omebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work, because somebody else is going to get what they work for, this is sad...very sad.
1-You cannot have wealthy people without poor people.
2-This is true. But what is wrong with that?
3-You cannot give anything to yourself without taking it from someone else.
4-Ha. Yes, you can, it is called "diversification".
5-How can one work when there are no job? This is a built in fault of capitalism anyway. The government only works to help ease the effect.

But that was a nice little script you have. It looks good on paper but the real life results would not last long.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
583 posts, read 1,306,004 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRSB View Post
I am not talking about the people in another town. I am just talking about A town, Colorado Springs.

I am saying public transportation is a good idea in any town.
Yeah, as long as someone else pays for it!
 
Old 09-07-2011, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
583 posts, read 1,306,004 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRSB View Post
Just the fact that you are on a FREE community forum proves that you are not self reliant. And I am pretty certain you did not build your computer yourself.

But the most disturbing thing is that you feel it is a flaw that you depend on other people. You would not even have learned how to write if you were "self reliant". That is what I mean, it is a myth. You got where you are today because of community, because of a sharing of a common wealth.

Ummm, I paid for my computer...and pay for internet service. I read ads that are posted which help pay for "free" sites. Nice try though!

Thanks for telling me how I feel...wow, you must really be an expert at reading people? Where did you get your training? Perhaps did you take some Mind Reading 101 courses?

Lastly, where are you facts for your previous statements? You seemed to have conveniently skipped my last request to you.
 
Old 09-07-2011, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
583 posts, read 1,306,004 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRSB View Post
1-You cannot have wealthy people without poor people.
2-This is true. But what is wrong with that?
3-You cannot give anything to yourself without taking it from someone else.
4-Ha. Yes, you can, it is called "diversification".
5-How can one work when there are no job? This is a built in fault of capitalism anyway. The government only works to help ease the effect.

But that was a nice little script you have. It looks good on paper but the real life results would not last long.

I'll take capitalism over socialism any day, my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top