Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 08:29 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,058 times

Advertisements

Hang in there. Is that the Old North End house you were pursuing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 08:23 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,391 times
Yes, we will find out for sure tomorrow, theoretically. From what I understand, if this all goes through, it's a short short-sale, but it's still a headache.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:04 PM

Well, it's official, I am a homeowner again! It's the house we were really hoping for in the Old North End neighborhood. Tons of drama with a bad appraisal, a re-appraisal, and the bank acceptance of the re-appraisal. If I had to hear one more time from my realtor and our lender "That's never happened to me before!" I was going to throw something!

Now we are going to replace the hardwood floors- they are original with the house, which on one hand is AWESOME (especially the reasoning- that the slats are a lot longer, so it showed it was likely one of the lumber mills long ago that would take the lumber to the site and mill them there at the house) but the wood desperately needs refinishing and refinishing would mean it would cause the tongue-and-groove to crack, and wrecking the floor. So we're replacing it and also painting every room, hopefully moving in mid December

Thanks for the thoughts and good wishes!!

Old 11-21-2011, 02:11 PM

Holly - Congratulations!!! Welcome to the neighborhood. I think you'll love it here. About the floors, I'll bet there's someone out there who could restore them (not just refinish) them. If your house is historic (e.g., turn of the century), it's probably worth a shot. There's an old saying in automobile restoration that applies to homes, as well: 'It's only original once.' I'd suggest giving Charlie Paterson or Bob McGrath a call (they're the two builders in the Old North End that everyone raves about). If they can't do it, I'll bet they can recommend someone who can.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, and thanks for the welcome I'm moving one block west and seven blocks south I've already met a couple neighbors!

We had a company come in and check things out with the flooring- unfortunately it has, in the past several years, been treated fairly roughly, and several of the boards are cracking There is sub-floor missing in areas, so a re-do is in order, as the amount of sanding needed to refinish the floors would cause it to just go belly-up!

The house was remodeled about ten years ago, so much of the beautiful crown moulding isn't original to the house, and the kitchen certainly is not original (thankfully).

My husband's plan (he's an architect) is that we will have red oak as the floors with a walnut trim around the edges, inset about three inches. I'm pretty excited about it!

Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 AM

Sounds like a good plan for the floors. I'd still recommend giving the two builders I mentioned above a call for the renovation/install. They seem to be the contractors everyone recommends (I don't know either of them, other than by word of mouth reputation).

Old 11-22-2011, 12:39 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
Hardwood floors are very easy to install, if you have to appropriate tools (If you don't, I reccomend Bill's Tool Rental on E. Platte, he has everything!) It's not difficult, just time consuming. Word of caution though, if you're going with new floors, after installation, they need to be finish sanded, then at least 3 coats of stain and clear lacquer. All this will take at least 2 weeks or so from start to finish.

I speak from experience when I tell you, it's almost impossible to occupy the house and finish floors at the same time.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:58 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
I've seen TV shows indicating that the old wood flooring can be taken up for re-milling and re-use. Even if you go with new materials, I'd look into how much you might be able to sell the old wood for; might be a nice surprise but won't know until tried.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:37 PM

We have three weeks alotted for the install of the floors, with a hopeful move-in date of December 10, and we are hiring a firm to do the finishing of the floors. My friend is a contractor and he'll be helping us install the floors

I'm so excited!

The plan is to try to salvage some of the floors, Mike, for sure!

thanks for all your advice

Old 11-22-2011, 02:38 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
We have three weeks alotted for the install of the floors, with a hopeful move-in date of December 10, and we are hiring a firm to do the finishing of the floors. My friend is a contractor and he'll be helping us install the floors

I'm so excited!

The plan is to try to salvage some of the floors, Mike, for sure!

thanks for all your advice
I once salvaged a bunch of racquetball flooring from the dumpster at a rec center, turned it into a great desktop and a 10x10 dance floor. Amazing wood, that hard maple.

Sounds like you've done all the due diligence on flooring, even Norm says to tear it out if it's too far gone, but I've also seen him wax poetic about some of the old pine flooring....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs