U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:16 AM

841 posts, read 1,249,916 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I think that living in an area for a while can actually make decisions difficult when needing to move.

We sold our house (finally) in July... since then, trying to find some place to live!

We are very frustrated because we found a stunning house in our preferred area (Old North End *high five Carrera*), a short sale, and the primary lender approved our offer, but the secondary (or tertiary?) investor felt that they could make more money if it was a foreclosure. So now our favorite house is going into foreclosure... today.

While it would be great if we could just sit and wait for the house to come back on the market as a foreclosure (and likely be priced around our offer, or less), we need to move! I'm not happy with my living situation right now... so now the question my husband and I ponder is: short term frustration for long-term gain?

We considered the north-east, but I am not a fan of D-20, and the areas are just too far away from where our lives are. I love Old Colorado City and the SW part of town, and downtown! I don't want to live in "West Kansas"

So, I guess here's for hoping that either A. our favorite house comes up as a foreclosure, and we get it, B. we find another great house in Old North End, OCC, or the SW, or C. we go join the masses in spreading urban sprawl in the north-east (tongue firmly in cheek there- at one point ONE was urban sprawl as well )

Wish us luck please!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 09:28 AM

727 posts, read 1,135,556 times
Congrats Holly! Don't give up on ONE, there's a lot on the market right now, some of it actually affordable (or close to affordable) for us mere mortals. PM me and I'll send you the address/agent of a very nice property currently for sale on Wood Avenue. I don't know your price range, but this property is well priced for the neighborhood and the owners are now paying two mortgages, so they may be in the mood to deal.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:23 AM

2,866 posts, read 7,099,726 times
Not a fan of the best school district in Colorado Springs? District 20 is mostly just the Briargate and pine creek areas, some of the nicest in town, not anywhere close to being "West Kansas" as you put it. Maybe you're thinking of Falcon.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:33 PM

Nah, I'm thinking anything east of Powers

And no, I'm not a fan of one of the best districts in the Springs. I'm a fan of certain schools in District 11, I like District 12 as well.

One small thing I do not like with District 20 elementary schools is that they love the Immersion programs with language. While I am a HUGE supporter of learning a second language (I am a teacher of one), I feel that immersion programs that begin and end with elementary schools have been a big waste of time and money. Unless the immersion programs continue into high school, it's just a fancy way to try to attract people to your schools. Granted, that may be the direction they may want to take- there are just several schools in D20 that I wouldn't want my kids to go to because of the second language immersion of choice, which is taught in math and science classes. I'd rather my kids learn math and science in their native language, the language that they are immersed in most of their day/life.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:47 AM

10,679 posts, read 28,504,890 times
Which lienholder is foreclosing?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:58 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,193,775 times
Kudos on your opinion on the schools. Thank you for your passion for some specific schools and don't just jump on the bandwagon of "D20." Nothing wrong with D20, but I highly appreciate your sentiment and attitude towards your precious finds. You know good education when you see it. Yay you! Sounds like school staff + you = quality education for your children.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:58 AM

2bindenver: It's a mess, I honestly have no clue, and I don't even know if the banks know. . Apparently Wells Fargo is the bank who has been doing the appraisal stuff, but then the main bank in decision mode is Bank of America, which makes me want to cry.

It turns out that there was a paperwork mess up and the foreclosure hearing was postponed, so there is still a chance.

Thank you very much, froggin I have a very strong opinionated mind :P

Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 AM

808 posts, read 1,176,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Kudos on your opinion on the schools. Thank you for your passion for some specific schools and don't just jump on the bandwagon of "D20." Nothing wrong with D20, but I highly appreciate your sentiment and attitude towards your precious finds. You know good education when you see it. Yay you! Sounds like school staff + you = quality education for your children.
I believe the below list is the most current set of Colorado school district rankings. Not sure where the "D20 bandwagon" comes from, as it's pretty obviously the third "best" district in Colorado Springs, solidly behind D12 and D38 (not that there's any need to be ashamed about being #13 in the state, which is still pretty darn respectable). Nowhere near "best" in the city though. http://www.schooldigger.com/go/CO/districtrank.aspx

Colorado School District Rankings

Rank (of 124)*
1Cheyenne Mountain School District No. 12,
2School District No. Re-3
3Ridgway, School District No. R-2, Of The County Of Ouray
4Lewis-Palmer Consolidated, School District No. 38,
5Steamboat Springs School District No.
6Telluride School District No.
7Platte Canyon, School District No. 1, Of The County Of Park
8Wiley School District No. Re-13
9Limon School District,
10School District No. Re-4 Buffalo
11Douglas County School District, No.
12Swink, School District No. 33, In The County Of Otero
13Academy, School District No. 20,
14Weld County School District No.
15Littleton, School District No. 6, In The County Of Arapahoe1575315430.747

Old 09-19-2011, 04:25 PM

2,866 posts, read 7,099,726 times
I love district 20. and district 11 and 12 are ok. Hell would freeze over before I'd let my kid attend any school in district 2.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:16 PM

Things are looking good for the house we want! More hoping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs