Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 02:19 AM

4 posts, read 4,671 times

Advertisements

Hello all, first excuse my ignorance as I am sure this has been answered before... My family and I are moving to CS next month. We have been researching all available options for homes but, are in a dilemma for which district to send our 6th grader. WE found a home in the subdivision Soaring Eagles that we really like but heard the school district is not so good (Harrison). I will be working at For Carson and hoping to retire in the SPrings area. Can someone give the reasons why Harrison is such a "poor" district to attend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 09:48 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Soaring Eagles itself is, I think, not a bad school. Harrison as a district is the most ethnically diverse, has the most migrants, most free and reduced lunch, has the most gang and drug problems, and the lowest test scores. D11 is a larger district that has similar issues but also much more on the higher end of things. But if your kid is an honors kid and stays out of trouble, he or she can get a good education in Harrison and be safe and fine. But me personally, I would not send my kid to Sierra High School at this point in time given a choice. You could take the home in Soaring Eagles and send your kid to any school in any district if you're willing and able to provide transportation. I think Widefield/Security/Fountain might be a good option for you - they are still very close to Fort Carson, still highly diverse, but have small town feels and districts with better reputations over all. There also some good schools in D11 like Coronado, Palmer, or Doherty (I would avoid Wasson or Mitchell for sure), there is D12 Cheyenne Mountain near Fort Carson also, which has I think the best scores and reputation in the state, with a lot of old money to help make that happen.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:19 PM

Thank you so much for your insight on the Harrison district. This is very helpful information. We sure do appreciate the advice.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:18 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
The town of Fountain is also very close to Carson, has a lot of military families, and is in D8 school district, considered to be very good.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:30 AM

Default Widefield

There are a few other homes that we have also added to our must see list. However, they are in the Widefield district. Can either of you tell more about this district as well. Thanks a million.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:53 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Widefield has average test scores and reputation. It is known for good teachers. I grew up in that district and have family that still attend and work there. It definitely has a small town feel to it, with a long history back to the 1800's, but in appearance it is rather suburbish. Very close to base, lots of diversity, lots of good programs in the schools. Low crime area, but of course crime happens now and then everywhere. Just last week there were some creeps who did armed robbery at the Big R and a credit union but they were caught, thank goodness. Widefield is right next to the boundary of nothingness - so rural-horsey areas are very nearby. It is an area that is very popular with military families and many come back there to retire. Lots of people who come from Widefield stay there or come back, and the area has had more growth in population than many in the economic downturn. Widefield people tend to think they're a little tougher and not as coddled/coddling as, say, Briargate- D20 - more blue collar, real-life types is how they tend to think of themselves, but highly family oriented still. It is a very short drive into the Springs, and not that far to Pueblo, either, but if you want to go to Denver often it is a noticeably farther commute than for those who live in the north end of the Springs.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:33 PM

Otowi,

Thanks again for the information. This is probably the biggest move and decision that we have ever had to make since being in the military. Thanks again for all the information. CIAO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs