U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:45 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,484,234 times

Advertisements

I wish I had bought in the westside, not necessrily Manitou, but westside, for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 08:46 AM

924 posts, read 1,030,894 times
Lets not forget Manitou's annual "Great Fruitcake Toss".

Old 10-20-2011, 02:43 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,269,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
How do they define the weirdness? We had it in Portland, Oregon. "Keep Portland weird" and I am not sure what it is they were referencing either.

I think Austin, TX started this "keep ____ weird" thing. It's a reference to local arts, music, tolerance of unusual lifestyles. But Portland seriously does have some weirdness going on. I took my kids to a festival down there once, little homegrown activity, I was drawn in by the presence of March Fourth Marching Band (do a Youtube on em, they are amazingly talented!) but they also had crafts and "mad science" for the kids, where they made superhero capes, and the science guys did silly putty and playdough. There were a few bands, a grill with BBQ for sale, and best of all, fire performers. The folks putting on the shindig were raising funds to go to Burning Man festival, which is another good thing to Google for the definition of "weird." I bet a bunch of Manitou residents get out to that! But the event had no big sponsorship, and was held in a little warehouse near the railroad tracks in the industrial part of Portland. Yet was totally safe and fun. Have you heard of Zombie walk? Procession of the Species? Those kinds of events are also "weird."

I love that colorful stuff, in a city that I can visit nearby. I like home to be a little more quiet and down to earth personally.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:28 PM

Yeah, the only things about Manitou that would bother me would be the tourists (could get old) and parking. And even smaller yards than elsewhere.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:04 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,513,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
I wonder how people who call themselves hippies are able to live in Manitou price wise? The houses there are crazy expensive.
It's like the beachcomber shacks along the beach at Port Aransas that look like they should have "Condemned by City" signs in the yard but are priced at 250k up. It's costs a lot of money to assume a humble, non-materialistic, free-spirited life style...

And then there's Boulder.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:39 AM

Whatever. Not everyone owns in Manitou, nor does everyone you see there, lives there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs