U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 12:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,301 times

Advertisements

So Im buying a House in Peyton ..A little worried about the HOA .. Just got word that the HOA are a little critical on certain things you can do and not do...The house Im buying is on Towner 80831... anyone in that area have any issues with HOA .. eventually I want to put a pond and a barn on my land... Yes I have read the HOA ..but seems like its somewhat vague ..you know what I mean ? its says I can pretty much do anything but it has to be approved by the council.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 12:52 AM

4,669 posts, read 6,740,923 times
Do your covenants address building on your property, or making improvements? Do they specify what can or cannot be done? If you are unsure, find out who your Board of Directors are, and ask one of them or if you have some sort of Architectural Control Committee that approves submitted plans for enhancements and additions, run your ideas past them, and see what they say.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:31 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,619,473 times
And request a written copy. RP

Old 09-16-2011, 10:37 AM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
Our HOA does not allow any "lawn sheds" and says so in the covenants. It also clearly states that any added structure must not exceed 10 feet in height, that its style and color scheme be consistent with the resident's home and that neighbor's on both side approve and sign off on the landscape plans.

If your covenants don't clearly state specifics then I see it as a danger signal that the HOA is subject to the whims of HOA nazi's. I'd get the HOA to approve the barn, in writing, before you sign any contract. If that's not possible, walk.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-17-2011 at 10:54 AM..

Old 09-16-2011, 10:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,301 times
Default I took the advice of this forum and

contacted the Vice President of the HOA.. Really nice guy but didnt answer my questions ..kinda did the I will get back to you bit... I think I better really read the HOA carefully .. ummm not sure what a covenent is..I might have to google that .

Old 09-16-2011, 11:59 PM

4,669 posts, read 6,740,923 times
The Covenants are just a fancy word for your subdivision's rules and regulations that specify what is and isn't allowed such as buildings, animals, fences, roof materials, out buildings and most everything else. If your covenants (rules and regulations) don't specifically address out buildings, and their type, construction materials and size, you probably don't want to be building anything, because if the HOA doesn't like it, they can make you remove it and you've just thrown away good money.

Here in AZ, HOA's are governed by state law, so they can't be Nazis. There are specific State Statutes that control what HOA's can and can't do; how they're run; what specific duties the Board of Directors has; and what their bylaws can say. The State Statutes are in place to benefit the property owner, not the HOA. We have what are called Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions or CC&R's, which have to be super specific according to state law, so there's no misunderstanding between the HOA and the owners.

Last edited by Marcy1210; 09-17-2011 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs