U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 04:28 PM

12 posts, read 74,586 times

Advertisements

We are new to Woodland Park and was wondering if there were some nearby fun places to go have some winter fun (not sliding down our drive way either :P). I know Woodland Park is not a ski area and is about 2 hours from the nearest resort. I'm just talking about some areas that kids may gather and slide down some small slopes, or folks may go to just mess around and have fun, maybe even some beginner snow boarding or skiing. Since there is a ton of public land around, I'm sure there are some neat little spots around here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 04:59 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
There was a place just south of Mueller where I remember lots of people going tubing in the snow.....

Old 09-16-2011, 05:45 PM

2,864 posts, read 7,095,361 times
Check out Rainbow Falls in Deckers, (just down 67) if you're into snowmobiling

Old 09-16-2011, 11:31 PM

4,669 posts, read 6,737,637 times
You won't find much public land in Teller County. Most of it is owned, even if there aren't any houses or other buildings on it. Unless you know someone who has a pretty steep hill on their property, or lives in a subdivision with lakes or hills, there isn't any public place that people gather for sledding, ice skating or snowboarding.

Last edited by Marcy1210; 09-16-2011 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: detail

Old 09-17-2011, 02:11 PM

924 posts, read 1,030,423 times
Snowshoeing up near the Crags can be a lot of fun ... driving on that road in the winter can be a challenge, but worth it. Snowshoes can be rented if you're not sure you'll enjoy it.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:15 PM

12 posts, read 74,586 times
Thanks for the responses. There are 1000s and 1000s of acres of national forests nearby and tons of trails. That was the land I was referring to.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:06 AM

The problem with a lot of National forest land is that the roads are not always plowed and a lot of them are closed in the winter. Getting through the open ones to the trails is not always easy unless you've got 4WD. You may also want to check and see if you'll need permits for snowmobiling or other motorized activity in the National Forest. Here's a link to Woodland Park's activities that might help.

http://findwoodlandpark.com/do-eat-stay-play-shop/

Last edited by Marcy1210; 09-18-2011 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 09-18-2011, 10:08 AM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
You can go snowshoeing in Mueller - that's fun, imho.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:10 AM

I'm thinking that what the OP means is; are there places where a bunch of kids can go and do some sledding (little hills), while the parents hang out and chat and drink hot chocolate or sled with the kids. Kind of a neighborhood social activity for both parents and kids. Honestly, in the 40 years we lived in Teller County we never knew of anything like that anywhere, and we had four kids. We moved away last year (still have property there) after being empty-nested for the warmth of AZ, and the only places our kids did any sledding was in our backyard as we had some humongous hills on our land. But there was never anything organized, and no place in WP where kids would gather for sledding. If your kids are really interested in winter activities, the posters above have given good ideas. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of social oganization for kids outside of the schools.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:43 AM

69 posts, read 193,453 times
Here in WP, the pond in Memorial Park freezes over and is open to ice skating, usually, starting around late December. It's true 'pond' skating though, meaning rough/bumpy ice that's also very musical (you'll hear cracks but that's usually nothing to worry about). The ice rink at Meadow Wood is also open for free ice skating, though check the schedule for the hours. It's used for hockey a lot, but during open skating times hockey sticks and pucks are not allowed on the ice.

There's a nice sledding hill up Rampart Range road. If you're new to the area these directions might not make much sense...so maybe go check it out now BEFORE it snows. Basically, head north on that road, at the first fork (at the water tank) veer left. At the next fork, where the road becomes dirt, veer left again. Just up ahead on your right will be a large turnout where you can park; the sledding hill is right there. Hilltop park is a small sledding hill here in town you might want to check out, too.

Snow shoeing can be done anywhere, assuming there's enough snow (Lovell Gulch, etc). I've always thought the Rainbow Gulch trail (just west of Rampart Reservoir) might be nice for cross country skiing, though I've never tried that myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs