U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:13 AM

81 posts, read 206,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprngFever View Post
I didn't get it I was interviewed by three people. I really hit it off with two of them but I feel like I may not have been "Christian" enough for the third. So maybe it was for the better this didn't fall through. I'll continue my hunt tomorrow and hopefully something falls through. Thanks for the kind words though. Wish me luck (again) lol.
Good luck with your future endeavors!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 03:43 AM

12 posts, read 19,728 times
Congratulations!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:57 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,701,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post

Having dealt with some private industry HR folks in the past and compared notes, I absolutely agree with you that the Fed system is probably the most fair and equitable system out there, sometimes because of the laws, and other times, in spite of them. The Fed's hiring systems (if properly used, and I acknowledge that's a big if) are, in many cases, far more stringent and statistically valid and reliable than much of what I've seen in private industry. Does the Fed system always result in the highest qualified person being hired? Of course not, but it's a pretty sure bet that the person hired for a given vacancy is at least among the top tier candidates. That's about all you can hope for.
I agree completely that the system you describe is the best way to handle hiring applicants. In my experience--which has been more limited than yours--in the private industry I have yet to see any system that even remotely resembles the one used by the fed.

My complaint about having too many qualified applicants, is that it means the posting has set the bar too low. For instance: you know that you're going to get 5000 applicants for 50 openings, and the basic requirements were Bachelors in related field and, high score on tests, and 5 years experience. You also know from experience that because so many people find the job to be very attractive you know you will only hire people with masters, scoring above the 90th percentile, and 10 years of experience. In those cases it may be effective to post the requirements for what is actually hired, or at least strongly indicate them to prevent wasting applicants time. Clearly your system is better than what I deal with day to day.

However, as the pot I won't call the kettle black. Working in recruitment we often posted requirements that were the bare minimum we would possibly consider. The reason was not to get more applicants, but to stem the flow of anger we occasionally had directed for our stringent requirements. There was the published set of requirements, and the private ones that were usually used. I did not like this system.

I accept your rejection of the idea that HR managers make hiring decisions. In my experience in the private industry I've seen them be heavily involved in the decisions. Clearly to a degree they are not in the area in which you worked. More experiences like what you describe would be a good thing for the profession as a whole. It may liberate and legitimize it as a tool for companies rather than a millstone around the neck.

When I finish my masters degree, I will be considering positions with the fed. Does Colorado Springs have a strong presence of federal employees? I understand there is a strong military presence, but I don't have it in me to be away from my family for that long. I give my respect and admiration to those who make the sacrifice.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:37 PM

727 posts, read 1,134,823 times
There's a pretty significant civilian Fed presence in CS as well as a lot of Govt contractors. However, with shrinking budgets and pending legislation limiting Fed hiring, my guess is that Fed vacancies are tightening up everywhere. Many Fed agencies are now offering early outs and bonuses to resign or retire. For contractors, that could be either good or bad. The work still needs to be done, so they may hire contractors to do it if they can't hire permanent employees. On the other hand, if budgets are tightening, then contractors are easy targets for cuts. Also, with the wars winding down, that will mean a smaller military presence, with concurrent smaller civilian support hiring. I would think that would have a negative impact on civilian hiring in CS. That said, there will continue to be hiring, but just not as much of it.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:47 AM

13,624 posts, read 21,483,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
Lurtsman - I'm retired now (ok, semi-retired;
I can tell. You seem a bit high up there on your soapbox.

Anybody who has a job now should be and feel grateful... including anyone in the HR dept.

It's nice to have a job to bi#ch about... just sayin'.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:13 PM

727 posts, read 1,134,823 times
McGowdog - Just to set the record straight, I'm now self employed; run my own small business. Also, I don't think I was bi#chinig about my current situation or past employment. I was just trying to address questions and statements Lurtsman brought up. My intent was also to offer some advice to the OP on the Fed job market and the process, which is complicated and often misunderstood. Certainly wasn't intending to be on a soapbox or offend anyone's sensibilities. Sorry if I came across that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs