U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:26 PM
SYS

336 posts, read 993,931 times

Advertisements

In July I had some guests visiting from other states where you can only see bears in a zoo. I showed them some places in CS that they might be interested, one of them being the Bear Nature Center. When we got there I felt an immediate sense of apprehension because there was no one there and absolutely no sound of any kind. Then the first thing I saw was a set of wet bear claw marks on the pavement, so I knew that a bear or two was near by. Within a minute of being on a hiking trail, we ran dead smack into a mommy bear and a cub. I'd say around 20 feet from us. When I saw the cub I got really nervous so I had my group back away very slowly. Although I had my camera slung around my neck, I didn't want to take any pictures at that moment of seeing the cub and risk having my young guests getting hurt. We went the other way, and all was well except that I was uncomfortably alert the whole time. When we got back to the parking lot, though, we found the same bears trying to pry open a trash bin and looking for food.

Now, how cool was that encounter? I mean, how often do you run into a mommy bear and a cub while hiking?

This summer it seemed there were more than the usual number of bear encounters. No more hiking the rest of the summer for my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 08:38 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times
I wouldn't have classified running into a mother and a cub as "cool".

If you're taking up younger guests especially who may do things that would spook the bear, what kind of bear protection device do you carry?

Side note for other forum users. What types of guns would you recommend for protection from wild and potentially large animals. A rifle can be annoying to carry on a hike, but a magnum wouldn't be so bad and I understand Colorado has relaxed gun laws compared to other states.

Is it illegal to shoot a bear that is threatening you? I certainly do not intend to go bear hunting. I've been around some areas where the wild life groups have made it illegal to shoot predators even if they are actively eating you. In those places the official law has been replaced by the acronym "SSS". That stands for "shoot, shovel, and shut up".

Old 09-30-2011, 09:06 AM
SYS

336 posts, read 993,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I wouldn't have classified running into a mother and a cub as "cool".

If you're taking up younger guests especially who may do things that would spook the bear, what kind of bear protection device do you carry?
It WAS a cool experience. We were many in number so that was our "bear protection device." Obviously you can't be in 100% protected from anything you might encounter while hiking, not even a gun, pepper spray, canon, automatic rifle, Ninja knives or whatever. In fact, did you hear in a recent news about the guy who shot his own hunting partner when they encountered a bear? So much for having a rifle for protection... Oh, that guy who shot his partner wasn't Dick Cheney...

Old 10-09-2011, 08:16 AM

83 posts, read 269,825 times
I've had a couple drive-bys from Black bears on trash day. I live over on the west side, near Garden of the Gods. They're pretty mellow, on the whole, but I wouldn't try and pet them or anything.

Momma and cubs though should always be treated with care, for obvious reasons.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:53 AM

2,866 posts, read 7,098,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
That's awesome video! I wish I saw more wildlife around my house. Bears rarely cruise Powers Blvd. :-)

It's very rare to hear of an actual attack...in town. My understanding is there are a lot of Black Bear up in the mountains and I did see one, once.....on the Air Force Academy.
Most of the time, they're more interested in following the scent of something good to eat, than messing with people.

Keep in mind, you can buy a big ol' can of bear repellent (big can of pepper spray), at any sporting goods store. Keep a can in the vehicle and one at the house, so if you're out hiking or the kids are playing, it's within reach. I wouldn't just spray any bear I saw, but it's very effective. The spray range can vary.

When I'm hiking, I always keep a small can of pepper spray in my hand..just for critters. I never let it keep me from doing the outdoor activities I want to do......just something to be prepared for.
The only bear repellent that WORKS is a .44 magnum. Pepper spray will just anger it. That being said, it's totally unnecessary. Black bears rarely have or want confrontation with humans. Most of the time they're indifferent and will go out of their way to avoid you, unless you're messing with cubs, in which case, momma will come after you. You'll get used to the bears, most likely the only trouble you'll ever have is them getting into your garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs