U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 11:08 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,192,872 times

Advertisements

Sticky icky..I am missing the dry CO weather. Those who are considering a move to COS, enjoy the low humidity and beautiful weather!
Oh, and *crunch* *crunch* *crunch*...that's the sound of me stepping on all the darn bugs here. I miss the type or lack of bugs in COS.
BUT, I do love the birds here in Virginia, but they need to eat more bugs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 11:12 AM

399 posts, read 667,256 times
In the winter I don't have to deal with the bugs outside. At night it's the low 50's to high 40's and during the day it's in the high 70's and low 80's. ;D Morning frost has been showing up more recently.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:28 PM

727 posts, read 1,135,392 times
Froggin - I do so sympathize with you. My CO mantra (co-opted from Mike) is: No traffic, no bugs, no humidity. You can take some comfort in knowing that you're now entering the best season for the East Coast, and particularly VA (IMO). The humidity goes away and so do most of the bugs (sounds like you have cicadas. This too shall pass). So, hang in there, CO will be here when you're able to return.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:10 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
Just take a long drive out to Skyline Drive to see the fall colors, stop in at an apple orchard to get some "Nittany" apples, and maybe find a place that serves ham biscuits. After that, all will be well with the world .... until you can get back here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:35 PM

It's probably the best time of the year to go to VA beach, Outer Banks, etc. Weather still pretty warm, as is the ocean, rental prices are down, as are the crowds. Just watch out for the hurricanes, but then you already know that, right?

Old 09-23-2011, 11:59 PM

4,669 posts, read 6,742,826 times
You don't have to be in VA for humidity and bugs~~come to AZ. Yup, it's humid! And, yup, there are bugs...big bugs...very big, strange bugs...very big, strange, scary bugs...

Old 09-24-2011, 02:05 AM

12,841 posts, read 23,212,253 times
Last week:

I found a grasshopper on my driver's side window.

The following night:

I felt what felt like women's hair on the back of my head, I freaked out trying to pull it out, then I felt something fall off.

What was it?
Spoiler
a grasshopper.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:41 AM

Default yuck

I grew up in Kearny, AZ, a small cooper mining town between Phoenix and Tucson so I know Arizona bugs/reptiles/humidity. Yuck.

I do love the fall here, my favorite season. Getting to drive down Colonial Parkway in the fall is beautiful, the oldest road in the country.

OBX, Hwy 12 is pretty torn up due to Irene. The Dismal Swamp fire keeps blowing smoke down there too, hard to believe Irene didn't put it out! And you should have seen me looking at everyone's "OBX" stickers when I first got here. "Wow, lots of obnoxious people here huh?" In reality no, but in my opinion, yes! lol I want to go see the wild horses! Guess we can do it on the eastern shore too but haven't ventured to do it.

I actually go to VA Beach three times a week for my job- I am an ABA therapist who works with kids on the autism spectrum so I travel all over Hampton Roads. I think it is a huge tourist trap with the cost of parking and high priced restaurants.
Yorktown Beach is 10 minutes from the house so if we go to the beach, we go there- free parking, farmer's markets, and less crowds. I actually don't care for the beach, I am a mountain girl. My next vacation- Alaska!

Yup, traffic and I are enemies. Taking 2 hours to drive what should be 45min is such a waste of time. I love the commute on I-25, yea I-25!

Sounds like complaining to me. My goal was to thank God for such a beautiful state/area like Colorado. Thank goodness not everyone likes it or it would be over crowded.

So those who are considering moving there, my opinion is from someone who started out in Iowa, moved to Arizona, then Colorado from 1994-2009 and now in Yorktown, Virginia. Colorado is by far my favorite, but I the mid-west is my second favorite. Hope this gives you insight on Colorado Springs based on my roots and experiences. I have also posted a lot on the education services in Colorado Springs.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:22 AM

Froggin - I once lived in the interior of Alaska (Fairbanks). Highly recommend a visit; it's a spectacularly beautiful state. People are friendly, interesting and proudly quirky; you may have already seen a few recent examples of that. One bit of advice, take lots of Cutters with you. Alaskans tout the mosquito as the state bird. The big ones are slow and flutter around so they're easy to swat. It's the 'no see ums' you need to fear. Particularly nasty in the Spring, after the winter thaw (or 'breakup' as Alaskans refer to it).

Old 09-26-2011, 09:02 PM

I haven't had to buy bug spray until I moved here and when I read, "no see ums" on the label, I had to pronounce it out loud to understand what it said, then chuckled. I can't wait to visit Alaska! So many here talk about Bahamas, OBX, and the travel up and down the coast to Jersey, New York, Connecticut, etc just blow me away. To people here, its like driving up to Denver. "Ya, I have to run up to Jersey this weekend."
Again, those who are looking to move to Colorado, look straight east and blow me a kiss of Colorado air!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or