U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 12:35 PM

727 posts, read 1,136,222 times

Advertisements

I'd like to put in a plug for the Colorado Springs Philharmonic. We just attended the first performance of the year, which is also the first performance for the new music director/principal conductor, Joesep Caballe Domenech, or JCD as he's already known. JCD was selected to replace the retired and unfortunately, ailing, Lawrence Leighton Smith, the much beloved music director/conduct for many years. For those of you who haven't been exposed to this symphony, you're really missing out on a local treasure. Even if you don't like classical music, they put on a variety of performances that are not classical, or even close (check out their Rock 'n Roll Christmas performance; lots of fun). The new conductor was selected after a lengthy and grueling search. JCD was not among the original finalists, but after a guest conducting performance, the orchestra petitioned the search committee to add him to the list of finalists, and, in the end, he was hired. While I'm not the most sophisticated classical music lover, I know what I like, and I think I can recognize a fine performance, and that is exactly what I got. It's clear JCD is asking the orchestra to stretch themselves and they responded with a wonderful performance of a technically difficult (at least it seemed that way to me) Mahler piece. The only downer is that JCD has international conducting obligations that predated his hiring that will limit his conducting here until those obligations are completed. But it's clear his influence will be felt in every performance, regardless of who's guest conducting.

It appears that the CS community really does appreciate and support its symphony, with well attended audiences. The prices are reasonable for what you get; the Pikes Peak Center venue is comfortable and has good acoustics. Oh, and you can park on the street within a block, for free. For a mid-size city symphony, it's really quite impressive. There's really nothing not to like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 12:54 PM

20,321 posts, read 37,832,470 times
Yes, the meters are free after 6PM and all day on Sunday.

They have several bars set up inside PPC and you rarely have to wait long to get one, or just go up one floor and never wait for a drink.

Have at least four shows lined up for this fall.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:29 PM
SYS

336 posts, read 994,654 times
A local treasure, indeed! The Colorado Springs Philharmonic is truly lucky to get JCD.

Last year, my boys' quartet was performing outside the ballroom of Antlers Hilton Hotel during the special occasion of honoring Charles Ansbacher. Suddenly, I noticed this elderly man standing close to the group and intently listening to this young group of musicians perform. That man was Lawrence Leighton Smith. After the performance he and his wife went over and talked to the kids. The photos I took of this scene are priceless. Lawrence Leighton Smith is a great man, and I was profoundly sadden by his deteriorating health.

The baton transition from Lawrence Leighton Smith to JCD couldn't be more perfect for CSP. I look so forward to many great years ahead. Oh, don't forget that Itzhak Perlman will be performing with CSP this season.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:38 PM

Already have our tickets. Can't wait.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:30 PM
SYS

336 posts, read 994,654 times
By the way, my boys' quartet group will be performing during the Colorado Springs Philharmonic event at the PPC on Sunday, Oct. 23. They'll perform in the lobby before the event from 1:30-2:25 p.m., plus during the intermission. Come and enjoy both events in one!!

Old 10-01-2011, 08:13 PM

842 posts, read 1,250,999 times
I was thinking of getting season tickets for myself and my daughter ...I can of course call them on Monday, but I'm curious- what were the (average; I'm sure it costs differently with a different seat) costs of the ticket?

My daughter loves classical music- for her music class she chose her favorite musician as Vivaldi only downside was she had to dress as him

Old 10-01-2011, 09:27 PM

I don't recall off hand, but I believe new subscribers get 50% off season tickets. You need to contact them directly and be sure and tell them you're first time new subscribers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or