U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:35 AM

154 posts, read 373,823 times

Advertisements

There is Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more in Monument. I do not know anything about this school, but maybe that's the type of school you are looking for....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 12:16 PM

641 posts, read 1,955,824 times
There are also many online high school programs these days. May or may not be the right fit for your daughter, but looking back on my high school days, I would've loved the opportunity to finish high school online, on my own schedule, and work part-time.

I was probably too independent for my age, but I thought all the high school activities were just nonsense. I wish something like that had been available then.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:33 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,708,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
There are also many online high school programs these days. May or may not be the right fit for your daughter, but looking back on my high school days, I would've loved the opportunity to finish high school online, on my own schedule, and work part-time.

I was probably too independent for my age, but I thought all the high school activities were just nonsense. I wish something like that had been available then.
I think I would've taken this option also. I had ONE relationship I went to school for, and she is now my wife. I did NOT learn much in high school. I spent the vast majority of the time figuring out how to deal with the bullies and social conditions. That is a terrible system. If I actually studied for 2 hours per week day at home I would've learned far more than I did going to school.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:47 PM

641 posts, read 1,955,824 times
Totally agree...I think it would've been a great alternative, and far less expensive than private schools....too bad it wasn't around back then.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:08 PM

5,008 posts, read 6,691,539 times
The data out there, however, suggest that students in online schools are not only learning less than their peers in the public brick-and-mortar schools, they're actually regressing - they know less than when they started! Plus, they're bleeding the budgets of public schools dry.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:39 PM

18,937 posts, read 8,893,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
The data out there, however, suggest that students in online schools are not only learning less than their peers in the public brick-and-mortar schools, they're actually regressing - they know less than when they started! Plus, they're bleeding the budgets of public schools dry.
As a retired public school administrator, I'm not a supporter of online schools, but it's always been more a guy feeling for me, rather than a data-based idea. Can you point out some real data that supports what you said?

Old 11-17-2011, 07:28 PM

5,008 posts, read 6,691,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As a retired public school administrator, I'm not a supporter of online schools, but it's always been more a guy feeling for me, rather than a data-based idea. Can you point out some real data that supports what you said?
Well, the three-part series The Gazette did recently is a good place to start:

State-supported online schools failing students, data show | online, students, schools - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

Here is an excerpt:
"But an independent analysis of previously unreleased online school data by the I-News Network and Education News Colorado reveals new findings and an achievement gap that alarmed education officials:

• Online students are losing ground. Students who transfer to online programs from brick-and-mortar schools posted lower scores on annual state reading exams after entering their virtual classrooms.

• Academic performance declined after students enrolled in online programs. Students who stayed in online programs long enough to take two years’ worth of state reading exams actually saw their test results decline over time.

• Wide gaps persist. Double-digit gaps in achievement on state exams between online students and their peers in traditional schools persist in nearly every grade and subject – and they’re widest among more affluent students.

A top state education official called the findings “very concerning.”"

Last edited by otowi; 11-17-2011 at 07:37 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 10:34 PM

18,937 posts, read 8,893,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Well, the three-part series The Gazette did recently is a good place to start:

State-supported online schools failing students, data show | online, students, schools - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

Here is an excerpt:
"But an independent analysis of previously unreleased online school data by the I-News Network and Education News Colorado reveals new findings and an achievement gap that alarmed education officials:

• Online students are losing ground. Students who transfer to online programs from brick-and-mortar schools posted lower scores on annual state reading exams after entering their virtual classrooms.

• Academic performance declined after students enrolled in online programs. Students who stayed in online programs long enough to take two years’ worth of state reading exams actually saw their test results decline over time.

• Wide gaps persist. Double-digit gaps in achievement on state exams between online students and their peers in traditional schools persist in nearly every grade and subject – and they’re widest among more affluent students.

A top state education official called the findings “very concerning.”"
Cool. I've been too lazy to do the research. But I do have some experience with a Latin program that we had in our school. Not exactly online, but the instructor was in Richmond, 100 miles away. No student-teacher interaction except via t.v. camera. Disastrous.

You simply cannot replace the human element.

Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs