Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:48 PM

12 posts, read 21,357 times

Advertisements

We just moved here about 3 months ago from Ohio. So far we LOVE it here. The thing is, we've had multiple bears (or maybe its the same one) that walks through our property. This is a big deal for a couple Ohio people, lol. This would happen a couple times a week,mostly at night, but not always. We haven't seen one for a while, are they going into hibernation now? Anyway, it's so cool to watch these creatures up close and personal, yet it's scares us to death cause we have little ones. We also enjoy hiking and other outdoor activities. So i'm just wondering if anyone knows how many (if any) bear attacks there have been in recent years? Thanks

If anyone is interested we recorded one passing through our yard. I thought I'd share it with you, but you guys are probably used to this kind of stuff.
Black Bear Encounter - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 06:49 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,448,543 times
Living with Bears in Colorado*

Not many 'attacks' in this area. A break-in is more likely.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:26 AM

641 posts, read 2,270,116 times
That's awesome video! I wish I saw more wildlife around my house. Bears rarely cruise Powers Blvd. :-)

It's very rare to hear of an actual attack...in town. My understanding is there are a lot of Black Bear up in the mountains and I did see one, once.....on the Air Force Academy.
Most of the time, they're more interested in following the scent of something good to eat, than messing with people.

Keep in mind, you can buy a big ol' can of bear repellent (big can of pepper spray), at any sporting goods store. Keep a can in the vehicle and one at the house, so if you're out hiking or the kids are playing, it's within reach. I wouldn't just spray any bear I saw, but it's very effective. The spray range can vary.

When I'm hiking, I always keep a small can of pepper spray in my hand..just for critters. I never let it keep me from doing the outdoor activities I want to do......just something to be prepared for.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:43 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,837,162 times
I live in Manitou Springs.

Back about fifteen years ago I was in my living room and heard something at my screen door - first little scratching noises, which then progressed into loud ripping rending noise. I ran to my back door, and a bear had half his body through the screen, ready to enter my house to check out the good smells coming from my kitchen!

It was quite exciting and happened so fast I didn't have time to be scared. The instant the bear saw me, he backed out of the door and ran off. Man, was an adrenaline rush that was.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:55 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,541,431 times
Living north of Divide, in Teller County, we have bears pretty frequently, as we're very rural. They come after our WM toters, grills, bird seed feeders, hummingbird feeders, dog food left outside, just about anything edible.

Like mtngigi said, they won't hesitate to come inside if they think you have food. We have claw scratches on the stairs up to our garage from bears trying to reach hummer feeders, and I had one on my deck. I managed to grab a camera and take his picture!

But, don't mess with them, especially if it's a mom with a cub. They are notorious for defending their cubs. This time of year, they're beginning to fatten up for winter, and they don't like to be hungry, so be very careful. Take all your outside food sources inside and make sure you have strong doors on your garage and home.

This is the one that was on my deck a few years ago, and he wanted in, but he was a little guy...

Bear attacks in recent years? also our own bear video:)-mr.-bear-7-09-04.jpg

Last edited by Marcy1210; 09-23-2011 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: picture

Old 09-24-2011, 10:04 AM

As Marcy says, be diligent about edibles.

I don't put any food garbage out until pickup day. I keep all food scraps, those foam meat trays, even plastic deli bags in a bag, in my freezer until trash day, then I throw it all out (I don't have a garage). The folks in my neighborhood who don't do that end up with a mess to clean up, guaranteed. The bears get really active in their food search this time of year, getting ready for their long nap. Oh, and by the way, make sure there's no food in your car, either, if it's not parked in a garage ... they'll break into that, too.

I've given up on bird feeders, and had to get another hummingbird feeder recently because our neighborhood bear bit into the one I had. The new one is hanging higher out of reach, and so far, so good.

Most evenings when the bear is out making the rounds of trash cans, I get to sit on my porch and watch ... he comes very close by, but isn't interested in striking up an acquaintance with me, and I always keep a respectful distance.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:16 AM

26,143 posts, read 48,800,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
... I keep all food scraps, those foam meat trays, even plastic deli bags in a bag, in my freezer until trash day, ....
I thought I was the only one to do things like that. Though we have a garage for our trash bin, we put banana peels in a freezer bag because if you don't they stink up the kitchen trash can in a half hour and then it only gets worse. I put all veggie and meat scraps in the freezer bag too.

We actually time some purchases or food preparation to coincide with trash day. One of the most hideous food smells is raw chicken scraps, bones, wrappers, etc. If we cook a whole raw chicken, that gets done on Thursday and then the remains are in the trash that night for Friday pickup. Same for buying fried chicken and bringing it home. Same for cutting up a cantaloupe, done on Thursdays so the scraps can go in the bag and taken right out.

Haven't had a problem with bears, though they've been sighted within a mile, but we do see foxes and coyotes regularly.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:52 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,541,431 times
Mike, foxes won't go after food scraps, but they'll take them if they're easily accessible. My neighbor in Divide made "friends" with a fox and had him/her eating out of her hand. It is illegal, but she did it anyway. The fox was very gentle and shy, and would very softly take the food from her hand. She'd feed it meat scraps, mostly. Then in fall and spring, she'd put out feed corn and a salt lick for the deer. Again, illegal.

But, the coyotes will definitely go after the trash. They aren't shy about getting into trash cans or other easily attainable food sources, but they won't come too close to humans. In that respect they are sort of shy. The other critter that goes after bird feeders, trash, hummingbird feeders, bird nests, dog food, etc., are the raccoons. They are really awful, and they're mean, to boot!

Old 09-25-2011, 10:26 AM

26,143 posts, read 48,800,534 times
Marcy, I recall my late mother keeping bags of raw peanuts in her house so she could hand feed the squirrels in her yard. Sometimes she'd stick them in the metal scrollwork on the screen door and watch them climb the screen to get them.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:17 AM

Default Bears

Yeah, I find I do that even in winter with certain foods (like banana peels), because it does keep the garbage from getting stinky. It's just become habit, and I'm the only one on the street (except for a few neighbors who have followed my lead), who doesn't have a problem with a bear messes to clean up.

I must admit I don't plan shopping around pickup day, though. Chicken scraps (cooked or raw) and a lot of veggie scraps go in the freezer to make homemade stock with. After the stock, they get refrozen and put out on trash day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I thought I was the only one to do things like that. Though we have a garage for our trash bin, we put banana peels in a freezer bag because if you don't they stink up the kitchen trash can in a half hour and then it only gets worse. I put all veggie and meat scraps in the freezer bag too.

We actually time some purchases or food preparation to coincide with trash day. One of the most hideous food smells is raw chicken scraps, bones, wrappers, etc. If we cook a whole raw chicken, that gets done on Thursday and then the remains are in the trash that night for Friday pickup. Same for buying fried chicken and bringing it home. Same for cutting up a cantaloupe, done on Thursdays so the scraps can go in the bag and taken right out.

Haven't had a problem with bears, though they've been sighted within a mile, but we do see foxes and coyotes regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs