U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:32 AM

808 posts, read 1,175,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
The other home I've looked at is a rental on Friendship Ln a bit north of the above...which is probably a safer bet, IF it's still on the market in mid-December when we get there.
Renting may make alot of sense, particularly if you may need to move in 3-5 years. So many people these days are being hamstrung by homes they can't sell, which obviously makes mobility harder. I used to live near Friendship Lane and the "western" one (accessed from Mesa near Fillmore) is one of the NICEST little neighborhoods I've encountered in Colorado Springs. The "eastern" Friendship Lane seems nice nice too, and safe, but rather more standard-suburban with tri-levels, etc. Both are nice, but the western version is outrageously nice. Good luck with the move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 AM

9,734 posts, read 6,269,187 times
Been off a few days, busy busy, but wanted to make sure I came back to say a HUGE THANK YOU to those who drove by, did research, or even just offered opinions and advice. You folks make me very optimistic about my move...you never know quite how people are going to be where you're going after all. I think I am going to shy away from buying, and stick with renting, for all the good reasons people have mentioned and I was kinda thinking too. I also think that I'm going to try as hard as I can to stay on the West side of 25, but probably north of Old Colorado City. Much as I like the idea of a funky cool area, those old houses are too darn questionable. Even just renting, I could wind up paying out the wazoo for heat due to poor insulation...and of course there are my kids to think about. Friendship Lane house got rented, but there are others out there. I have a couple near Ute Valley Park, one in the Pleasant Valley neighborhood, etc on my radar. It'll work out.

THANKS AGAIN!

Old 10-20-2011, 11:58 AM

2,864 posts, read 7,096,377 times
Pleasant valley is a VERY nice neighborhood. Houses are relativley new, compared to the rest of OCC, and has the added benefit of being next to Garden of the Gods, and tons of wildlife will inhabit your yard.

Oh, And I live just on the outside of Ute Valley Park, beautiful area. I'm near Centennial and Pinon Canyon drive. If I had a pick between the 2, I'd say go for Rockrimmon.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:09 PM

ryanek9freak: Hey first of all, I'm a tad curious about the meaning of your forum name if ya don't mind me asking...I get Ryan and freak out of it but don't know about the middle bit...you can tell me if it's none of my beeswax, just curious. And 2 of the rentals I'm interested in are right near you actually. One is on Wisteria, one on Pemberton, both just West of Ute Valley Park.

A couple listings I saw (I think Pleasant Valley was one) mentioned a community pool--I wonder, is that a common thing in the nicer areas? My kids would love that.

It's all going to come down to actual vacancies 2 months from now, though. I've touched base with a few owners just to introduce myself and let them know, while I'm sure they hope to have the homes rented before then, if no suitable tenants are found by December, I'm interested. I can't just sit and wait, I'm too much of a planner for that...polishing up the ol' resumé, too...

Old 10-20-2011, 01:20 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,619,062 times
I think Ryan's handle is canine freak. He likes dogs. RP

Old 10-20-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
ryanek9freak: Hey first of all, I'm a tad curious about the meaning of your forum name if ya don't mind me asking...I get Ryan and freak out of it but don't know about the middle bit...you can tell me if it's none of my beeswax, just curious. And 2 of the rentals I'm interested in are right near you actually. One is on Wisteria, one on Pemberton, both just West of Ute Valley Park.

A couple listings I saw (I think Pleasant Valley was one) mentioned a community pool--I wonder, is that a common thing in the nicer areas? My kids would love that.

It's all going to come down to actual vacancies 2 months from now, though. I've touched base with a few owners just to introduce myself and let them know, while I'm sure they hope to have the homes rented before then, if no suitable tenants are found by December, I'm interested. I can't just sit and wait, I'm too much of a planner for that...polishing up the ol' resumé, too...
Sure, a lot of people assume it has something to do with dogs, but it doesn't. Many, many years ago, I used to build spec Honda race cars for the SCCA. I mainly turned out full custom Honda Civic hatchback chassis's , years 96-00, Also know in Honda Chassis code as EK9. Honda, much like other mfgs, uses chassis codes, EP3- 2001-2007 Civic hatchback
EK9=1999-2000 Civic Hatchback
EG6- 1992-1995 Civic hatch,
EF1- 1998-1991 Civic hatch, so on and so on.

Anyways, to get back on topic lol, I LOVE Pemberton, very nice street. It's a very nice area, close to everything you need, Sans Walmart lol. But you have an Albertsons and King Soopers grocery store on Centennial, just about every fast food and sit down restaruant you can think of, hotels, motels, car repair, bars, flower shops, Staples, etc. Garden of the Gods Corridor is a good place to live.

ANyways, how much room do you need? The 2 bedroom townhome right next to me is for rent for $795 month, and they're very nice, but a bit cramped for more than 2 people.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:40 PM

That is very interesting, Ryan! Learn something new every day! My name of course is a vague reference to the show Dr. Who...

sans Walmart...lol yes! I still go there occasionally, but it's always a debate. "Is it worth the awful experience just to find a $7 can of coffee...?" Even good kids scream and become monsters in Walmart. That should tell us all something...I'm not sure what. But something.

We are a family of 4, so I'm looking for a 3-4 BR house. I figure we can swing $1100ish in rent very comfortably even if I'm not working for a few months, and in a pinch we could do up around $1300 for the right house. We pay $1450 for our 3BR up here in Washington, but everything is a bit pricier up here. If we are very lucky indeed, I'll find a private owner to rent from. I prefer dealing directly than mucking about with middlemen and property managers. Owners want a good tenant who pays rent on time and takes care of the house, doesn't cause issues with the neighbors. We are absolutely all of that. PM's want suckers that they can jack up the rent on every year or so, and treat like lowlife supplicants...peasants...when you go to apply. This I do not need. 'Course could just be my personal experience with PM's who more snooty and/or unscrupulous than most. Dunno.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:46 PM

I'm sure there's plenty of houses for rent in your price range, particularly the Pleasant Valley neighborhood.

Pleasant Valley is considered the West side, while the area around Centennial/GOG rd is more NW and would be more inclined to be considered in the Rockrimmon area. Both are close to the Garden of The Gods. Pleasant Valley more so. 30th st, which is the main Road in Pleasant Valley, actually dead ends near Rock Ledge Ranch, and has direct access to the Garden, which if you enjoy hiking, would be awesome.

By the way, as a resident of Pleasant Valley, you can use the community pool. It's only open to those who live in the subdivision.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:53 PM

Have you looked at this one? Newer area, a lot of nice homes, very well kept and within your budget, and has what you're looking for.

1902 Bristlecone Dr Colorado Springs CO - Home for Rent - MLS #736336 - Realtor.com®

Old 10-20-2011, 02:06 PM

I had not seen that one, but I might have passed it over due to it being a townhouse. That is a point of contention between husband and I. I would be cool with a townhouse, he insists he doesn't want to do attached-to-neighbors living again. I would have to justify it with savings in cost or something. But again, never know what'll be available when the time comes. I'll keep it in mind! Also I hadn't searched that particular website, I'll see if it turns up anything my other searches hadn't...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs