U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 10:29 AM

2,867 posts, read 7,113,159 times

Advertisements

That place is NOT worth that kind of money, nowhere near it. I wouldn't consider paying that much even if it were an enclosed pool you could use year round.

What a rip off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 01:20 PM

808 posts, read 1,179,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I'm reading the water issues thread over in the Colorado forum list. If even a fraction of it is true, pool memberships probably should be expensive, and private pools illegal, and omfg why does anyone have grass!? Dude I'd be thrilled to xeriscape (I learned a new word! Whee!) since I really hate maintaining a lawn. I'll have to go see if there's a Pleasant Valley HOA website that tells me how much pool membership is, you got me curious now...
Private pools should not be "illegal" but should definitely be "prohibitively expensive" - and they are! A friend bought a house several years ago with an empty pool in the backyard, which they put a security fence around. They looked into the cost of actually filling it for a summer and it turned out to be in the $6K - $8K range. For the water. Needless to say, it sits empty, surrounded by a fence.

Community pools, whether public or private, on the other hand, are a great idea. One pool for 200-300 families. To be fair to the Valley Swim Club, if the "membership fee" of $2K is effectively refundable upon request, it's not so bad. They probably had to make some serious capital improvements and had no other way to recoup the cost while keeping the annual dues within reason.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:32 PM

9,877 posts, read 6,336,504 times
I don't really think that the annual dues are within reason either. But ya know, I've often said that nothing is too expensive if people are willing to pay it. Sorta the whole supply/demand philosophy our free market economy is supposed to thrive on. So long as they've got families willing to shell out, why NOT charge that much. Besides that, the investment is somewhat of a commitment to wanting to see it stay nice. People may be less likely to trash the place, in whatever ways that people do at cheap public pools. Nevertheless, it's a jaw-dropper to me, and I think there must be other places you can get memberships for the kids to go and swim for cheaper in the CoS area.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:35 AM

808 posts, read 1,179,620 times
Quote:
I think there must be other places you can get memberships for the kids to go and swim for cheaper in the CoS area.
Maybe. The "cheap" public pools aren't exactly cheap either (Wilson Ranch Pool | Colorado Springs, CO). Family season pass = $480. Family day pass = $25. We've paid $400 for family season passes to the Little Dipper Pool, a private pool in the Skyway area (SW part of town). You've got to commit to going 2-3 times a week to make it worth the money, but we do and so it is.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:36 AM

9 posts, read 12,973 times
Oh hey! My husband is being stationed at Ft. Carson, from Ft. Lewis. We've been looking into buying because of the same issues you described renting from property management companies, and hubby just wants to own. I've found this thread (and the others in the forum) very helpful.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:27 PM

20,359 posts, read 37,893,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecicada View Post
Oh hey! My husband is being stationed at Ft. Carson, from Ft. Lewis. We've been looking into buying because of the same issues you described renting from property management companies, and hubby just wants to own. I've found this thread (and the others in the forum) very helpful.
Search for homes via realtor.com and better yet, in the local ppar.com which has a nice map-based search. Tons of Army / USAF families live in the Fountain area and love it for many reasons. But almost all of the city is fine, just depends on your budget, wishes, wants, requirements.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Search for homes via realtor.com and better yet, in the local ppar.com which has a nice map-based search. Tons of Army / USAF families live in the Fountain area and love it for many reasons. But almost all of the city is fine, just depends on your budget, wishes, wants, requirements.
Thanks to the excellent recommendations in other threads my husband and I have definitely looked at ppar.com several times and are currently working with our credit union's home buying program to locate a realtor.

We're trying to avoid areas that military families tend to gravitate toward since they tend to be Everywhereville, USA in our experience. We like being immersed in the local culture, being outdoors (haven't been doing much of that in WA unfortunately), and the like. We are really looking forward to the move after 6 years in WA! We are particularly interested in the Westside, OCC, and downtown.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:17 PM

9,877 posts, read 6,336,504 times
Whoa, you are doing the same trip as me! We're going from WA to CO in December. We live in Lacey right now. I've loved many things about being up here, but ready for a change in scenery. The rain does get on your nerves after a while. So it's funny that both of us are making the transition from constantly wet WA to mostly dry CO. And have you seen pictures of those blue, blue skies?? I can't wait!

Do you have kids that'll need school? If you do, that's been one of the big factors in my search...it was a good place to start anyhow. This forum has been seriously educational to me in ways big and small. And Mike is awesome. You hear that Mike? You're awesome. I wanna buy you a fruit basket or somethin'. Ryan too! Heck all the locals I've talked to out there seem seriously nice so far...but ya'll driving by the house was over the top cool!

I'm excited now 'cause I found a company with an office in CoS that does the same business I'm in now, hiring people to do exactly what I do. I called their HR people...how amazing would it be to have a job waiting for me?? I mean, husband makes enough for us to scrape by, but my paycheck makes the difference between bare survival and decent living and/or progress. So I gotta work. But I'm used to temp jobs the first year or so until I find something solid... I just can't believe the luck.

So are you driving to CO from WA? Any thoughts about the drive, plans for your route, etc? My man will be in AIT for his reclass, so the kids and I are doing the drive alone in winter...*cringe*...

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by Sonic_Spork; 10-31-2011 at 02:28 PM..

Old 10-31-2011, 06:08 PM

20,359 posts, read 37,893,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecicada View Post
... We're trying to avoid areas that military families tend to gravitate toward since they tend to be Everywhereville, USA in our experience. We like being immersed in the local culture, being outdoors (haven't been doing much of that in WA unfortunately), and the like. We are really looking forward to the move after 6 years in WA! We are particularly interested in the Westside, OCC, and downtown.
Yes, the westside, especially OCC and even further up Hwy 24 towards Woodland Park, a higher elevation and more mountain-like, which I would personally prefer over the more desert-like flatlands.

Up along the foothills on Centennial Blvd is gorgeous as is the Rockrimmon area.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Whoa, you are doing the same trip as me! We're going from WA to CO in December. We live in Lacey right now. I've loved many things about being up here, but ready for a change in scenery. The rain does get on your nerves after a while. So it's funny that both of us are making the transition from constantly wet WA to mostly dry CO. And have you seen pictures of those blue, blue skies?? I can't wait!

Do you have kids that'll need school? If you do, that's been one of the big factors in my search...it was a good place to start anyhow. This forum has been seriously educational to me in ways big and small. And Mike is awesome. You hear that Mike? You're awesome. I wanna buy you a fruit basket or somethin'. Ryan too! Heck all the locals I've talked to out there seem seriously nice so far...but ya'll driving by the house was over the top cool!

I'm excited now 'cause I found a company with an office in CoS that does the same business I'm in now, hiring people to do exactly what I do. I called their HR people...how amazing would it be to have a job waiting for me?? I mean, husband makes enough for us to scrape by, but my paycheck makes the difference between bare survival and decent living and/or progress. So I gotta work. But I'm used to temp jobs the first year or so until I find something solid... I just can't believe the luck.

So are you driving to CO from WA? Any thoughts about the drive, plans for your route, etc? My man will be in AIT for his reclass, so the kids and I are doing the drive alone in winter...*cringe*...

GOOD LUCK!
There are many wonderful things about WA, but the clouds and constant dreary weather are wearing us both down. We are definitely looking forward to the change! I'm sure we'll find stuff to complain about, haha, but can't beat FINALLY being able to see the sun. I'll trade 300 overcast days for 300 ones of sunshine

Just one, but he is only 18 months right now. School will depend on how long we are there, but we're trying to stay in a good school district just in case we're there long enough for him to start school.

Yes we are! I am hoping the weather isn't bad... the last time this drive was made my husband was not yet married and had few possessions to tote. Now he's got my, our son, and our two cats plus what we've managed to accumulate together. I did not realize my garden gnome collection was so extensive until I started packing them... oops. The three smallest of our troupe are not fond of extended car trips, so this trip is going to be so overwhelmingly FUN I think we're going to end up doing a dity through a "you pack it, we move it" company. We lived on post for a short time after we married and they managed to break things moving us less than 50 miles. I do not want to imagine the destruction they will bring to a longer move, but I know there is no way we're driving a moving van in the middle of winter. No. Way.

It looks like there are three routes to take (according to Google Maps):
  1. the northern one through the handle of Idaho, though Montana, and down through Wyoming and Colorado
  2. the southern one through NE Oregon, SW Idaho, N Utah, S Wyoming
  3. the other southern one through NE Oregon, SW Idaho, N Utah/E Utah, E Colorado
I think the middle route has the least amount of mountainous driving. The first is the longest distance, middle the shortest (but not by a huge margin), and final one middle distance. December will probably mean we're going the middle route, but I'm not familiar with the weather and snow patterns in ANY of these areas at all.

ALSO FORGOT TO ADD: Our real estate agent sent us this link today to look up crime relative to the homes we were considering. I think you might find it useful as well http://www.springsgov.com/SectionInd...x?SectionID=12

Last edited by bluecicada; 11-01-2011 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Needed to add a link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs