U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:29 AM

808 posts, read 1,178,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
One more word about the fog. If it's bad fog, it can be treacherous to drive in. More than a few chain reaction crashes with dozens of cars involved at a time over the years, primarily on I-5 from Stockton to Bakersfield. You'll come up on it quickly, and then you can't see a thing. You slow down, and the guy behind you hits, then gets hit by the guy behind him, and so on and so on. I've seen reports of a hundred cars at a time in a big crash in the fog on I-5. Just be mindful of the weather reports. Usually, the conditions are such that it's in the weather predictions.
Same thing happens periodically on I-70 heading up into the mountains from Denver. I remember one chain-reaction pile-up in the mid-late 1990's that involved 75-100 cars in the heavy fog, where the big SUV's kept pounding into the pile at 70-80 mph, apparently oblivious. And that was before half the population started texting and surfing the internet on their i-phones while driving, so I can't imagine people are paying MORE attention to the road and basic driving safety issues these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 06:14 PM

64 posts, read 113,001 times
You mentioned rentals. Check out www.militarybyowner.com. Not sure if it will have what you're looking for but worth checking out.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:45 AM

9,855 posts, read 6,319,078 times
Revisiting this thread to describe my trip and let everyone know I made it etc.

We drove down I-5 from central WA as far as Corvalis, OR and then cut over to 101 and came south as far as Novato/Vallejo CA. Then we did some bypass action to get around San Francisco, which was probably a mistake...it looked on the map like going straight through the city on 101 was challenging, but my god the on/off ramps are marked six kinds of STUPID through there...but we made it. Got back on 101 and went south to Salinas, then shortly after that we cut through the middle of the state over through Bakersfield, Needles, etc to I-40, then crossed AZ and NM to come up 25 to here.

In Oregon we saw the coast, pulled off to walk down to the awesome rocks and pounding waves...that was super cool. In California, we stopped at the biggest tourist trap ever, Trees of Mystery in the Redwoods...giant Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox statues LOL!!...after that, not much sightseeing. We got heavy fog in Oregon, parts of central CA, AZ and NM. It was creepy but not dangerous, except in AZ where it was in fact FREEZING fog. My car got ice-coated! Remember when they closed 25 between Las Vegas, NM and parts of CO, last December? That was the day before we drove through there. In fact we stopped in Las Vegas and spent the night the very night after they opened that stretch back up, and drove north to CoS the next morning. By that time, the roads were actually clear...as you all know how fast that happens when the sun comes out.

We wound up shooting from the hip on housing. After all of that consideration I put into it, my options in the rental market got narrower and my husband was pressuring me to go with Security-Widefield. Not my first choice, as I was really hoping to be more on the West side...but here we are. The house looked lovely online, and we had his buddy come out and look at the neighborhood and in the windows and yard. He said it looked great. What I did not know...is that his standards are not so high. Also there are issues of maintenance and management that he had no way of knowing. We're in Colorado Centre, and yes that's where 2 people were killed a couple nights ago...not a high crime area at all, it's kind of in the middle of nowhere. The shooting was a troubled young couple with marital problems, a murder/suicide. Left 3 kids behind (very sad) but I hear they have local extended family, so at least they won't wind up in the system. Poor kids... But generally, this area can't be considered part of the "near the airport" southeast side of town, much as it is geographically, because it really is seriously isolated way out Powers beyond most development, the only gangs out here are gangs of antelopes and tumbleweeds. Aside from a few rather ugly abandoned/foreclosed houses, there's nothing too nasty about the area. Rent is reasonable. I had to arm-wrestle the property mgt company (they suck) into getting maintenance done. It was weird, they kept asking me if I intended to break my lease...I said no several times, and finally when (for the 4th or 5th time) they asked how long I meant to stay, I said it all depended upon whether we could all play nice with regards to repairs and so on. I now have a new dishwasher, garbage disposal, ducting for the dryer, etc. hehe... Grr!

At least my house is big, with a full finished basement (common here, unheard-of in WA) and vaulted ceilings and picture windows facing south. I am LOVING the sunlight!

My kids are doing fine in D3 but they hate that this district apparently NEVER delays/closes for snow.

I'm looking for work and actually have a company picked that I want to work for, the only one in town with jobs legitimately doing exactly what I was doing in WA (Energy Management Analyst) and I'm in the interview process now. I actually considered a tattoo apprenticeship over by the Widefield Walmart (not even joking) but decided I didn't want to go without a paycheck for that long.

My husband has hooked up with friends and has a social life for the first time in a decade. Pool nights, D&D in our basement every weekend, yee-hah! I can't say I'm thrilled with his idea of the good life...sum it up by saying "Why spend good beer money on curtains when you can nail a blanket over a window? When do I get to buy guns?? Can we get a dog?" This Northern Virginia raised city girl is getting red marks from smacking herself on the forehead here, thank God for my abundant sense of humor...suffice it to say he's fitting into the area beautifully, we're compromising, and things are goin' alright.

I want to thank everybody who helped educate me about stuff and took the time to check things out on my behalf, again, because it's awesome that you did that...I sincerely hope the new year is treating you all well so far! <3

Old 02-23-2012, 10:00 AM

20,343 posts, read 37,861,657 times
Sonic, thanks for the feedback, the folks on here love it when people do that. +5

Sounds like you're doing fine. I looked it up and you're out near the junction of Bradley Blvd and Marksheffel Road, with the airport to the N.W. of you. Should be very decent out there with the critters running around.

My wife is a NoVA native and we lived 31 years in the Chantilly area. We love it here and don't ever expect to go back, except for funerals and a stop at my crabcake places in Bal'mor.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:15 AM

I go back to VA every so often, to visit family & beloved friends (some in a band, who will be visiting ME...unbelievably CO has THREE dates on a coming tour schedule...can't believe my luck) and also because I love the historical areas of VA, I love the sticky summer heat because I grew up in it, and I absolutely ADORE King's Dominion and the Outer Banks beaches. But I find I'm happier as a visitor. Living there, the commuting and stress...ick.

Oh and all my WA coworkers warned me I'd be arse-deep in snow here, with smug looks on their faces, as I planned my relocation... Then I get here and we have sunshine and 50-70 degrees nearly every day, then Olympia WA got buried under a foot of snow and ice. I had to Facebook these people and say "Ha!! No one tells Mother Nature what to do!"

Irony. It is my friend.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-23-2012 at 10:45 AM..

Old 02-23-2012, 10:45 AM

20,343 posts, read 37,861,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I go back to VA every so often, to visit family & beloved friends (some in a band, who will be visiting ME...unbelievably CO has THREE dates on a coming tour schedule...can't believe my luck) and also because I love the historical areas of VA, I love the sticky summer heat because I grew up in it, and I absolutely ADORE King's Dominion and the Outer Banks beaches. But I find I'm happier as a visitor. Living there, the commuting and stress...ick.

Oh and all my WA coworkers warned me I'd be arse-deep in snow here, with smug looks on their faces, as I planned my relocation... Then I get here and we have sunshine and 50-70 degrees nearly every day, then Olympia WA got buried under a foot of snow and ice. I had to Facebook these people and say "Ha!! No one tells Mother Nature what to do!"

Irony. It is my friend.
My neighbor and I just finished shoveling 2-4 inches of COLO sunshine, and true story, he played 18 holes of golf yesterday.

That sort of changeability is actually quite charming.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:38 PM

727 posts, read 1,137,067 times
Sonic - Welcome to town. Sounds like you had quite an adventure getting here. Glad you arrived safely. So, another NoVA expat. You join Mike, Phetaroi, and several others, including me. I didn't grow up in NoVA, but spent about 28 years there, until we moved here a year and a half ago. We haven't looked back, not even in the rear view mirror as we left town the minute after we settled on the sale of our house...really. There is very little I miss, particularly the humidity, the bugs, and the TRAFFIC. Best of luck in finding employment. By renting, you'll have the opportunity to catch your breath and look around for a more permanent situation. Again, welcome to town.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 AM

Thanks, Carrera! Yep, I've lived in Woodbridge/Manassas/Dale City VA, and my family is now in Fredericksburg and I have a lot of artist/musician friends in Richmond. Oh and yeah, I don't miss the bugs either. But the humidity never bothered me.

I've also lived chunks of my life in Cincinnati OH, Des Moines IA, Olympia WA, and now Colorado Springs...I love the life of moving every several years. I make it a point to absorb as much positive influence to season and grow my personality as possible from every new location and its people.

I'll probably keep renting indefinitely, though perhaps not this house the whole time. Knowing I might have to move on in a few years per the military's wishes...I don't want to get stuck with a troublesome mortgage situation. And I don't trust the lenders that much anyways, have seen too much snarkiness afoot in recent years...

Thanks though! Hope you all have a great day!

Old 02-24-2012, 10:43 AM

727 posts, read 1,137,067 times
Sonic - Our last stop in VA was Fredericksburg, for about 8 years. Lived in a small new development tucked in behind the Shoney's on Rt 3, on the Fred side of the freeway from Central Park. Small world.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:23 AM

It IS a small world! F-burg is one of those funny places, when I was a kid my grandparents lived out Rte. 3 a bit and there was NOTHING there. Very rural. Now it's just as developed as all of NoVA. My Dad lives closer to Chancellor, off of Gordon Rd. My Stepmom has a consignment shop on Rte. 3. For me, I think central VA will always be home. I imagine myself going back some day so my Aunts can teach me real Southern cooking like my Grandma used to do...I might be pretty urbanized in most of my lifestyle but you can not beat Southern food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs