U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:32 PM

1,368 posts, read 2,455,250 times

Advertisements

I drive a Ford Focus up to the ski resorts regularly in the winter and have been just fine with all season tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 05:47 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,111,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjag45 View Post
Our family moved to Monument this summer from Ohio. My husband purchased me a new Subaru Outback a few months back. We also have an old Toyota Camry. We are definitely going to get snow tires for the Camry, but are uncertain if they will be needed for the Outback. When we got 8 inches of snow a few weeks ago, the Outback handled fine. Of course, the roads were not icy, just slushy. Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with/without snow tires for their all wheel drive vehicle in my area.

Thanks
I live in palmer lake, right next to you, so I'm in monument a lot. I also have a subaru outback. The first winter here I still had my old 3-season tires and I slid all over the place no matter how carefully I drove. The second winter I bought Arctic Claw snow tires and that thing performed like a tank in the snow. After that I discarded my old summer tires and put true 4-season tires on there and they seemed to do practically as well as the winter tires. So my advice is try 4-season tires first and if that doesn't solve your problems then get winter tires. You really have nothing to lose that way because you'll need to buy AT LEAST one new set of tires anyways so you may as well start with ones you won't automatically have to swap out every year. At any rate, you should know that the snow we got in early october was really just wet slush and was avery poor indicator of what you'll be driving on on snowy days between now and May.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 PM

154 posts, read 373,788 times
If you just drive locally... my biggest problem is how the locals drive!!! My advice.. if you do not have to go outside...DON'T GO! If you have to... go very slow... and stay far behind the ones in front of you..and don't care about the ones overtaking you! There are always the ones who think they are "bigger and stronger and more intelligent!!! " .. they are the ones who end up spinning around and causing traffic accidents!!!

If you plan to drive your car into the mountains during the winter times... well then get the best of the best - our 2nd car...a 4x4 Acura has "all year round tires" and we are fine with that... but we do have to slow down....

Anyway, I think with your new Subaru you have a great car! Not sure what the recommendations about their tires are.. in general.. don't go out during a snow blizzard if you do not need to.... those storms are short! If you have to... look out for the cars around you!!

Wishing everyone a safe winter season!!!

Old 10-25-2011, 06:55 AM

71 posts, read 161,047 times
Thanks, I've driven in snow a lot over the years. I got to thinking the other day, that I have never put snow tires on any vehicle I have had, whether 4WD, AWD, or FWD. I've lived in Ohio, (which didn't get a whole lot of snow), and in Utah, (which compares a lot to this area), and did fine. I am not one of those people who drive fast in the snow. because braking distance is increased, no matter what type of vehicle or tires. I suppose the snow tires do help grip to the road, which is a plus. We are getting the tires for the Camry today. It will be interesting to see how they improve the stopping distance.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:07 PM
SYS

336 posts, read 994,233 times
My family car, driven mostly by my wife, is Volvo XC70 Cross Country. I've used all season tires, and they're useless in certain conditions. I also used dedicated snow tires. They're great in winter, but they wear out fast if you don't change after winter's over with. I'm way too lazy a person for changing tires, however. So I came up with the best compromise: the Finnish Nokian "All Weather" (NOT "All Season") WRG2 tyres. Basically these are all season tires designed specifically to also perform in winter driving conditions. That is, you can drive all season without wearing out fast like dedicated snow tires, meaning you don't have to change out tires by season, yet rely on them to perform like dedicated snow tires in winter. A bit more pricey, but if you minus what it cost to change out tires each seasonal changes...

Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, SYS.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:08 PM
'M'

1,770 posts, read 2,505,449 times
I'm a big believer in winter tires. Drove a Camry and an Outback with studded snows. The Camry was too heavy to drive up steep hills even w/ the studded tires, but driving hilly Colorado canyons, it did great.. The Outback was like a tank as another person said...I have never felt so safely confident in a car during winter as I did in my Outback. I had to drive up very steep hills and steep driveways with switchbacks...never a problem. Now have a Corolla, and just installed winter tires (Michelin x-Ice), but snow hasn't been bad enough to tell how they will do on a truly bad day. Yes, the "other drivers" are my biggest concern...you do need to allow plenty of room to stop, even with the best tires. A few years ago, I lived near the Big Thompson Canyon...one March when it snowed, all the employees from Loveland drove up the canyon. People without properly equipped cars were all sliding into each other...so even those with a Subaru, it didn't do much good, because of the "other drivers".

Last edited by 'M'; 01-07-2012 at 05:16 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 06:08 PM

So far, the Outback has done fine, even when we got a foot of snow a few weeks back. I am used to driving in the snow, drive slowly, especially on turns, allow plenty of space between me and the car ahead of me. My husband has been driving the 98 Camry with snow tires and it has done fine, too. We will see how the rest of the winter goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs