Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 03:14 PM

598 posts, read 1,546,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
"Boring"

"Too many chain restaurants"

"Very few trendy restaurants"

Someone with an entrepreneurial spirit might just take that as a challenge...too bad I can't cook. I mean I also hear that there are no jobs, unless you like call centers. Sounds like a good time to make jobs and fill a niche. We oughtta open a restaurant, people! Or...you know...somebody should! I just had this mental image of a bunch of friendly folks from an online forum randomly getting together and pooling their skills to create a happening eatery...even if it doesn't happen I thought I'd share since it gave me a warm fuzzy feelin'. American dream and all of that. Heck, play it right, a shop like that could get its own reality show. Hahaha...

I couldn't be an owner of a place since I'm a military spouse and will eventually be leaving. But I'd kill for the chance to help someone breathe some life into a startup, that would be really cool...
Just saying.

Along those lines, I would like to point out to the OP that a town's personality and vibe has so much to do with the human beings living there. And one person can make more of a ripple than they would often give themselves credit for...who's to say you won't change the face of your new home for the better? Life is what you make of it! Best luck in your pursuit of happiness!

Anyone know any reason why there aren't so many small businesses? Are the codes, laws, zoning, taxes, available properties, etc prohibitive? Curious...

I think there are quite a few great spots to eat that aren't affiliated with a chain. A few of my favorites:

Sandy's Restaraunt (not fancy, but the food is very, very good)
Jake & Telly's (excellent greek food)
Nosh (very original and very good!)

3 very different, but extremely good places to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 07:34 PM

10 posts, read 15,063 times
Thank you all... I will take all of this under consideration. I plan to visit soon and make up my mind. Thanx again.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:58 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,859,463 times
As Bullitt007 says ... there are actually a lot of great, locally-owned restaurants here. Especially downtown, and on the west side (Old Colorado City) and Manitou Springs. The whole chain thing seems more the case if you live on the north and east parts of CS. But if you are an outdoorsy kind of guy, you'd probably like it better over here on the westside anyhow. Do a search in the forums for Old Colorado City and Manitou Springs and you'll find lots of info and like-minded, open-minded folks ... not that this doesn't exist in other parts of town (of course it does), but the westside has a unique and different feel. And it's closer to great hiking, biking, "going up the pass" and all sorts of other outdoor fun.

p.s. and yes, the west side now has chains that didn't exist before, especially in the Southgate area, so that choices/options are available, where they didn't in the past.

Last edited by mtngigi; 10-28-2011 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: added info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs