U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 6,964 times

Advertisements

Hi. I may be relocating through my job soon and I'm looking to join the COS community.

My company is in the 80907 area, so I'll like to be near there. I have a daughter that will start school next year and I hear district 20 is good for her to be in, what others are good in the area? Is district 11 ok?

I've been looking in the 80918, 80919, 80907 and ofcourse from the title 80904. Could I have thoughts on school, safety, good apartments, activities, ect... in these areas. Or maybe other areas you might recommend and why.

I'll be renting for at least the first year or 2 and my biggest concern is where we live. We are looking for a 2 bedroom in the $700ish range.

I'd be very interested since I've never been to Colodrado to hear what locals thought about some of the apartment complexes in the area. Good or bad please let me know what to look at and what to stay away from.

I'm also wondering about the snow fall as well. Is it really much different from the Western COS area since its right at the foothills than it is in the other zips I mentioned or is it pretty much the same in the whole area.

Thank you in advance for any info provided!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 08:43 PM

I guess I should have also mentioned we're leaning more towards an apartment community as alot of them have many nice ammenities such as a pool, ect... as opposed to renting a small home.

Unless of course we do come across a nice little one in a good area at our price range.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:28 AM

5,006 posts, read 6,683,532 times
Parts of D11 are excellent, others not. To keep it simple, you should probably avoid Wasson and Mitchell High Schools and most of the schools that feed into those in D11, others are fine.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:42 AM

841 posts, read 1,249,364 times
80907 is a great area code (I lived in it for years and hope to be returning to it very soon with a break of going on three months while we finalize our housing situation)... but there are good schools and eh schools in it... Steele/North/Palmer is as good as it gets imo... Midland ES on the west side is also a very good school too. My daughter attends now (she used to go to Midland) Stratton ES for the gifted program, but I think that's in the 80909 zip (??) Also 80907 is a big area, so there are really great areas of town in it (north to jackson-ish) and then from there it gets pretty sketchy, but there aren't a ton of places to live in the sketchy areas unless you want to live in a hotel.

There aren't a ton of apartment complexes that you're thinking of in that zip code, I don't think. There is a fine apartment complex off Uintah and 17th, and some up off of Fillmore. Depending on where your job is in 80907 those two could be two minutes away or ten.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:05 AM

9,744 posts, read 6,273,073 times
Good morning, Colorado people! I've got an interest in these answers too...

I'm looking at middle schools primarily, but I was told (by the school district) that Holmes/Coronado in D11 would be good for my math & music oriented boy, that Coronado had a lot of math & technical strength. I'm also looking at maybe Eagleview in D20 as that's the only middle school they've got with Orchestra, and they have a Lego Robotics club which sounds cool... Anyone have any thoughts/impressions on any of these schools?

And I'd like to be open to consider other areas in D11 too, but I can't feel sure about where the crime is happening (based on maps) east of 25. I feel like I won't be able to judge those neighborhoods without seeing them in person, whereas I feel more confident about areas near Garden of the Gods, Ute Valley Park, etc on the west side. Can anyone tell me about the region bordered by UCC, Patty Jewett Golf Course, and 25? I've seen a couple of houses in that area that seemed to suit my needs, too...

By the way, for any renters looking for good listings, I've had luck with rentals.com lately. TooSnappy, you can filter that site by housing type and zipcode, all kinds of stuff. I wish my husband would go for an apartment, you are spot on about the amenities...but alas, he demands a house. Good luck!!

Old 11-03-2011, 04:59 PM

5,006 posts, read 6,683,532 times
Coronado/Holmes would be a great choice. The area around Patty Jewett is nice but I just don't know quite as much about it. Older homes, some very high end, some not as much. Probably feeds into Palmer, which has a good reputation because of its IB program, etc.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:09 PM

51 posts, read 78,814 times
We just moved to the Springs in June after being overseas with the military for quite a few years. We bought in the 80919 zip code and the kids go to Foothills Elem and Eagleview Middle. I don't have any complaints with either. They both seem to be fine schools, and overall, I'm happy with their teachers. The area is very safe...the most action you get over here is from all of the deer, bears, and racoons! Good luck in your decision

Old 11-03-2011, 09:48 PM

Thank you all for the responses so far!!!!

No, I'm not having a motel in mind to live in as much fun as that sounds. But, I would like to hear more about some apartments that fit my description if anyone else knows of any specific ones.

And Sonic_Spork, do you remember the name of those apartments you mentioned on Uintah and 17th?

Old 11-04-2011, 04:47 PM

9,744 posts, read 6,273,073 times
Sorry, I don't remember actually mentioning a specific complex by name, I've been looking at houses actually...though I did recommend rentals.com for your search.

A general Googling of that area tossed out the names "The Knolls" and "Devonshire Square." I don't know for sure how accurate or nice either of em are, but I bet the locals can give you more of a scoop on what is there. They seem to know LOTS OF GREAT STUFF!

I'm in the sticky spot of having to wait before I really work on nailing down a home...I can look all I like, but stuff might not still be vacant when I arrive in Dec. But I'm crossing my fingers. The house in Pleasant Valley is still open, as are a few in the 80919 that I like...

Old 11-06-2011, 08:42 PM

Oooops sorry Sonic_Spork, it was actually hollyt00 that mentioned those apartments.

hollyt00, do you happen to remember what that name is of them? And you say they are pretty nice as far as the residence living in them, decent/safe area?

Thanks again!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or