U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Status: "Snow in the high country and I'm missing it!" (set 3 days ago)

4,677 posts, read 6,771,657 times

Advertisements

All four of my kids, my husband and myself; plus seven grandkids have all been vaccinated with every recommended vaccination, and no one suffered anything more than a sore arm. Pneumovax is the most painful, imho....

You would prevent your kids from being exposed to cigarette smoke because of the dangers, why wouldn't you prevent your kids from being exposed to diseases because of the dangers?

How would you feel if your child contracted polio and became crippled for life because you had turned your back on the very thing that could have prevented it?

I come from a long line of doctors, and to me, personally, not vaccinating is the utmost in parental selfishness.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:49 AM

19,076 posts, read 8,996,404 times
I had a VERY sore arm from a recent shingles vaccination, but it passed in a few days.

I was reading today about parents who are having their children lick lollipops that have been licked by children with chickenpox, rather than have the vaccine. So dumb.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:37 AM

20,376 posts, read 37,929,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
...I was reading today about parents who are having their children lick lollipops that have been licked by children with chickenpox, rather than have the vaccine. So dumb.
That was also on the TV news yesterday. Some parents have vaccinated kids spit into a cup, then have their kids drink it; all done in a belief that immunity will pass from the vaccinated kid to theirs. I feel sorry for such dunces and especially for the kids.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:45 PM

I happened to have a doctor's appointment today, and although I am long past having kids, I did bring the topic of vaccinations up with him. He said the only concern that he has about vaccinations is that they should be spread out.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:14 PM

21,618 posts, read 26,307,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel99atc View Post
I am looking for a pediatrition in colorado springs who does not require vaccines. This is a personal choice based on science and I should not be forced to vaccinate just to take my baby to a doctor.

Unless your child has a medical condition which makes vaccination unadvisable, there is no scientific reason not to do so.

There is no scientific reason to alter the recommended schedule.

If you do not wish to vaccinate your children, that is your choice, but it is not backed by science.

And any pediatrician has the right to choose not to care for an unvaccinated child, whose very presence in the waiting room poses a risk to every other child with whom he comes in contact, including babies too young to be vaccinated and children who do have medical conditions, including cancers, that do prevent them from taking vaccines.

I also suspect that you will find that family practitioners recommend vaccination --- for children and adults.

Good luck in finding a doctor who "believes" as you do. I would not want one who does not "believe" in vaccines to take care of me or my family.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
I'd sure be interested in knowing what "science" the OP is citing for deciding not to vaccinate for childhood diseases. Like Mike and Pheteroi, I remember the days when polio, diptheria, measles, mumps, etc. were real threats to chldren and adults as well. Having lived in Alaska, I quickly became aware of the famous "Diptheria Run" to Nome by dogsled with vaccine back at the turn of the century saved that entire community from almost certain death (and became the basis for the current Iditarod dog race that commemorates that event, and a monument erected to the lead sleddog, Balto, in DC). Thankfully those diseases have been largely eradicated, at least in this country, largely BECAUSE vaccinations are readily available and, for the most part, mandatory. IMO, this isn't just a personal choice or a nanny state government overreach issue. Rather, it's a serious health issue that could affect any of us. I had a form of mumps that landed me in the hospital at age 5 for a week, in quarantine. Not much fun for a five year old. i also had allergies that precluded me from being vaccinated for small pox. That was a real concern for me as a kid, because small pox had not been eradicated in this country and was still a threat. That concern actually followed me into adulthood and even when I joined the military. OP, unless you have strongly held religious beliefs that prohibit vaccinations, please reconsider for your kids' sake...and please, don't cite "science" as your reason for not doing so.
The diphtheria antitoxin story:

Heroic Dogs Rush Life-Saving Serum through Blizzard to Save Nome, Alaska | NewsInHistory.com

The diphtheria antitoxin is not the same as the preventative vaccine. It is used for treatment of people who are already ill. Epidemics like the one in Nome need never happen again --- unless we stop vaccinating.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 11-10-2011 at 09:45 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I recall the sugar cube days, boy, we're we ever glad to get it. Before that, back in the mid 1950's, I recall the fear that gripped people about polio, and how we couldn't go to the only swimming pool around because some kid there had gotten polio. I recall the photo's of entire hospital wards full of people so crippled by polio that they spent their lives in an iron lung, the last of which just died a few years ago. Iron lungs are a reminder of "the good old days" which never were all that good for most of us.
About Dianne Odell, who spent 58 years in an iron lung. A spinal deformity prevented her from using more modern respirators.:

Dianne Odell | last polio victim in an iron lung

My mother had a cousin who had polio and developed post-polio syndrome as an adult. I have another cousin whose husband had it and completely recovered. I, too, remember the pink sugar cube. My mother was one of the volunteers who came to my elementary school to help, and she personally gave me my first dose. My father had worked at the Warm Springs Foundation, in Warm Springs, GA. My parents knew polio up close and personal.

There is a world wide effort to eliminate polio, just as smallpox has been eliminated. This means taking polio vaccine into third world countries and vaccinating every single contact of every single person who has polio. When polio is gone, there will be another vaccine we can cross off the recommended list, because it will no longer be needed. Until that happens, we vaccinate. The eradication of smallpox meant my sons do not have the pencil eraser sized scar from smallpox vaccination that everyone my age carries.

Vaccines are the single most spectacularly successful medical intervention ever. The risks are microscopically small compared to the potential risk from the diseases that vaccines prevent.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:15 PM

154 posts, read 374,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I happened to have a doctor's appointment today, and although I am long past having kids, I did bring the topic of vaccinations up with him. He said the only concern that he has about vaccinations is that they should be spread out.
That is the concern my friend (who does not have her kids vaccinated) has... too many vaccinations at one time... her insurance does not pay for separate doctor visits... one of her children has diabetes....so that may be another concern.... I have all my kids vaccinated and I do remember my son getting 4 different shots at one time - I thought that was kinda crazy!! Luckily he was brave enough for that!!! But I also have a child who is extremly scared of shots. I wish there were other options... like the flu mist!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie123 View Post
That is the concern my friend (who does not have her kids vaccinated) has... too many vaccinations at one time... her insurance does not pay for separate doctor visits... one of her children has diabetes....so that may be another concern.... I have all my kids vaccinated and I do remember my son getting 4 different shots at one time - I thought that was kinda crazy!! Luckily he was brave enough for that!!! But I also have a child who is extremly scared of shots. I wish there were other options... like the flu mist!

There is no need to spread the shots out. Most kids do fine when reassured the shots only hurt for a short time.

I am speaking as the Mom of a kid who had leukemia --- and a lot of needle sticks. He was older than a lot of the children at the clinic he attended, but hated the needles, none the less. Still does not like them at age 36!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is no need to spread the shots out. Most kids do fine when reassured the shots only hurt for a short time.

I am speaking as the Mom of a kid who had leukemia --- and a lot of needle sticks. He was older than a lot of the children at the clinic he attended, but hated the needles, none the less. Still does not like them at age 36!
Well, although a strong supporter of vaccines for both adults and children, I'm not quite sure I agree with that. After all, at age 62, I was recently directed that it was essential to have a wait of at least 3 weeks between the shingles and flu vaccines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or