U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2011, 01:25 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,610 posts, read 26,281,486 times
Reputation: 26681

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, although a strong supporter of vaccines for both adults and children, I'm not quite sure I agree with that. After all, at age 62, I was recently directed that it was essential to have a wait of at least 3 weeks between the shingles and flu vaccines.
We are talking about childhood vaccines. The children's vaccines may be given together.

The recommendation to separate the shingles vaccine and the pneumonia vaccine is controversial and based on one study.

Although the package insert says to split them, and your doctor is being prudent to do so, it may not be necessary. People who have already received both together do not need to get another dose of the shingles vaccine. The experts are still looking at this and we may see a change in the suggestion not to give them together in the future.

The kiddie vaccines that have been given together have been shown to work properly when they are given together.

All of us wince when our kids experience something painful. I had to bar DH from going with our son for his treatments because he could not handle it.

 
Old 11-11-2011, 02:40 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
19,075 posts, read 8,978,667 times
Reputation: 18475
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
We are talking about childhood vaccines. The children's vaccines may be given together.

The recommendation to separate the shingles vaccine and the pneumonia vaccine is controversial and based on one study.

Although the package insert says to split them, and your doctor is being prudent to do so, it may not be necessary. People who have already received both together do not need to get another dose of the shingles vaccine. The experts are still looking at this and we may see a change in the suggestion not to give them together in the future.

The kiddie vaccines that have been given together have been shown to work properly when they are given together.

All of us wince when our kids experience something painful. I had to bar DH from going with our son for his treatments because he could not handle it.
There are 11 immunizations that are recommended for children, and they are recommended to be spread out from birth to ages 4-6. There's a recommended "catch-up schedule" for older children, where the vaccines are recommended to be spread out from ages 7-18. Suggest you check out recommendations by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.
 
Old 11-11-2011, 02:56 AM
 
Location: Ohio
3,441 posts, read 5,003,819 times
Reputation: 2656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie123 View Post

"Public schools in Colorado do accept exemption based on personal believes. The pediatrician we use is Dr. Michael Halenkamp with CSHP, so far he has been cool about it, but we have been giving our kids seasonal flu shots.

She is willing to get the vaccine for something that is not usually serious to an otherwise healthy person but doesn't get them for things that usually kills or can cripple them(in some fashion) for life?
 
Old 11-11-2011, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,610 posts, read 26,281,486 times
Reputation: 26681
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There are 11 immunizations that are recommended for children, and they are recommended to be spread out from birth to ages 4-6. There's a recommended "catch-up schedule" for older children, where the vaccines are recommended to be spread out from ages 7-18. Suggest you check out recommendations by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.

My post was directed at the comment about a child getting four injections in one visit. The point is that there is no reason to split an MMR into three shots or a DTaP into three shots or not to get more than one injection on a given day. There is no need to "spread out" the vaccines over a longer interval than the standard schedule.

Since you mention the schedule, here it is:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/spec-grp...sch-0-6yrs.pdf

There are 14 vaccine preventable diseases in the list. Many of the newer vaccines are being added to combination products to reduce the number of injections needed.
 
Old 11-11-2011, 09:51 AM
 
154 posts, read 374,411 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
She is willing to get the vaccine for something that is not usually serious to an otherwise healthy person but doesn't get them for things that usually kills or can cripple them(in some fashion) for life?
One of her children has diabetes. I know that they have a very healthy lifestyle, do not eat any junk food..and are rarely sick. I am for vaccinations but I do respect her choices.
 
Old 11-11-2011, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Woodland Park, CO
69 posts, read 194,021 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
And any pediatrician has the right to choose not to care for an unvaccinated child, whose very presence in the waiting room poses a risk to every other child with whom he comes in contact, including babies too young to be vaccinated and children who do have medical conditions, including cancers, that do prevent them from taking vaccines.
I think that's a very good point, and a good argument against this idea that vaccinations are a 'personal' decision. When someone chooses to live in a community with other people, there are some rights that they sacrifice for the good of the community. Without that, there would be chaos. Personal freedoms at the expense of community well-being is generally not to be expected.
 
Old 11-11-2011, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
19,075 posts, read 8,978,667 times
Reputation: 18475
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My post was directed at the comment about a child getting four injections in one visit. The point is that there is no reason to split an MMR into three shots or a DTaP into three shots or not to get more than one injection on a given day. There is no need to "spread out" the vaccines over a longer interval than the standard schedule.

Since you mention the schedule, here it is:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/spec-grp...sch-0-6yrs.pdf

There are 14 vaccine preventable diseases in the list. Many of the newer vaccines are being added to combination products to reduce the number of injections needed.
Suzy, do the shots any way you wish. I just passed on that my doctor recommends that parents spread them out.
 
Old 11-17-2011, 02:30 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 4,726,605 times
Reputation: 5358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt314159 View Post
I think that's a very good point, and a good argument against this idea that vaccinations are a 'personal' decision. When someone chooses to live in a community with other people, there are some rights that they sacrifice for the good of the community. Without that, there would be chaos. Personal freedoms at the expense of community well-being is generally not to be expected.
I would normally reject your argument because I believe personal freedoms over ride collective freedoms. However, in this instance, I believe the danger to the community is similar to picking up an unknown weapon and firing it in the woods. It might not be loaded, it might or might not be lethal, and there is probably no one around. However if a bullet strikes someone, that's armed assault. If they die, it's murder.

I believe growing up it was always stated as "Your right to swing your fist ends where my face begins". At least in Colorado Springs this debate has remained fairly respectable, which is more than most cities could manage.
 
Old 11-17-2011, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
19,075 posts, read 8,978,667 times
Reputation: 18475
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I would normally reject your argument because I believe personal freedoms over ride collective freedoms. However, in this instance, I believe the danger to the community is similar to picking up an unknown weapon and firing it in the woods. It might not be loaded, it might or might not be lethal, and there is probably no one around. However if a bullet strikes someone, that's armed assault. If they die, it's murder.

I believe growing up it was always stated as "Your right to swing your fist ends where my face begins". At least in Colorado Springs this debate has remained fairly respectable, which is more than most cities could manage.

It would be a very interesting question in a court of law. Scenario: A parent doesn't vaccinate their child and the child passes on a serious disease (let's say diphtheria...all vaccinations are not 100%). Parent of infected child sues parent of child who apparently passed on the disease (the only non-vaccinated child in the school). Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
 
Old 11-17-2011, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,610 posts, read 26,281,486 times
Reputation: 26681
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Suzy, do the shots any way you wish. I just passed on that my doctor recommends that parents spread them out.
Misconceptions about Vaccines — History of Vaccines

" However, studies have repeatedly demonstrated that the recommended vaccines are no more likely to cause adverse effects when given in combination than when they are administered separately. Some parents decide to “spread out” the time period during which their children receive vaccinations “just in case” this misconception is accurate. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this approach, and delaying vaccinations puts children at risk of contracting preventable diseases."

Vaccines: Vac-Gen/Some Misconceptions

If your doctor recommends spreading them out, perhaps you could ask him why. He may have just gotten tired of explaining to parents that it is not necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top