U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:31 PM

18,885 posts, read 8,867,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Misconceptions about Vaccines — History of Vaccines

" However, studies have repeatedly demonstrated that the recommended vaccines are no more likely to cause adverse effects when given in combination than when they are administered separately. Some parents decide to “spread out” the time period during which their children receive vaccinations “just in case” this misconception is accurate. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this approach, and delaying vaccinations puts children at risk of contracting preventable diseases."

Vaccines: Vac-Gen/Some Misconceptions

If your doctor recommends spreading them out, perhaps you could ask him why. He may have just gotten tired of explaining to parents that it is not necessary.
Suzy, as I said before, do it any way you want. Why don't you go ahead and give every childhood vaccine on the same day -- one big celebration of needles -- and then you'll be happy. Does everyone have to agree with you?

Old 11-18-2011, 12:23 AM

4,669 posts, read 6,739,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It would be a very interesting question in a court of law. Scenario: A parent doesn't vaccinate their child and the child passes on a serious disease (let's say diphtheria...all vaccinations are not 100%). Parent of infected child sues parent of child who apparently passed on the disease (the only non-vaccinated child in the school). Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
This actually happened in Tucson in 2008. It's in paragraph 3 of this artice from the LA Times about the need to vaccinate:

Public health: The vaccination debate - Los Angeles Times

Not only was the ensuing outbreak of meales dangerous to those who contracted it, it cost the county a bunch of money just because an unvaccinated woman caught the disease and spread it....

I restate my opinion: It's very irresponsible and selfish for parents not to
vaccinate their children. It can also be deadly...And if parents feel that their child won't get the disease because everyone else is vaccinated, well, wrong. Not all vaccinations give 100% immunity. Think, parents...

Old 11-18-2011, 11:10 AM

21,485 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Suzy, as I said before, do it any way you want. Why don't you go ahead and give every childhood vaccine on the same day -- one big celebration of needles -- and then you'll be happy. Does everyone have to agree with you?
No, everyone does not have to agree with me. I was just pointing out that you are helping to propagate a myth about vaccines.

You do not have to change a thing you are doing. I just want others to know that there is no medical reason to "spread out" vaccine doses. Lots of people read the posts here.

For everyone:

Believe it or not, it is probably less traumatic for a child to get more than one shot on a given visit. Spreading them out just produces more shot visits to (not) look forward to.

And there are things that can be done to help with the pain of injections:

Reducing the pain of childhood vaccination: an evidence-based clinical practice guideline

Infants up to 12 months can breast feed while getting a shot.

Infants up to 12 months that are not breast fed can be given something sweet before the injection.

Have the older child sit up, rather than lie down. It helps for the parent to hold the child.

The injection should be given quickly. The technique of inserting the needle and aspirating to make sure the needle is not in a blood vessel is not necessary, since the sites used do not have large vessels. That method makes the injection take longer.

If multiple shots are given, give the one that tends to be most painful last.

Rubbing the skin near the injection site before giving the shot may help with reducing pain for older children. See the link for how it works.

Distraction methods --- parent led, child led, or clinician led --- have variable effects. See the link.

Other methods. See the link.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:29 PM

You can read about various reactions here: Update: Vaccine Side Effects, Adverse Reactions, Contraindications, and Precautions Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)

Old 11-18-2011, 02:20 PM

For those who would like more recent information than 1996:

Vaccines: Vac-Gen/Side Effects

Old 11-22-2011, 10:39 AM

2,864 posts, read 7,096,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel99atc View Post
I am looking for a pediatrition in colorado springs who does not require vaccines. This is a personal choice based on science and I should not be forced to vaccinate just to take my baby to a doctor.
Please let me know what schools you plan on sending your child to, so I may keep mine away from there.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:12 PM

98 posts, read 185,382 times
Ryanek9freak, if your kids are vaccinated what are you worried about? Isn't that the whole point of vaccines, to protect from disease? It's always been amusing to me (usually in the dog world, which I was more active in) how little people seemed to trust the vaccines that they professed to believe in so much. By all means, keep your vaccinated children away from un-vaccinated children if you don't trust the vaccine to do what it's supposed to do.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:55 AM

2,864 posts, read 7,096,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Please let me know what schools you plan on sending your child to, so I may keep mine away from there.
I'm not taking any chances. Just like I wouldn't let my dog around an un-vaccinated one, even though my dog is vaccinated against everything.

The autism argument is ridiculous. It's genetic, not caused by vaccines.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltrazGSD View Post
Ryanek9freak, if your kids are vaccinated what are you worried about? Isn't that the whole point of vaccines, to protect from disease? It's always been amusing to me (usually in the dog world, which I was more active in) how little people seemed to trust the vaccines that they professed to believe in so much. By all means, keep your vaccinated children away from un-vaccinated children if you don't trust the vaccine to do what it's supposed to do.
No one claims that vaccines are 100% effective, so some vaccinated children will get the infections they have been immunized against. The vaccine tremendously reduces the risk but does not eliminate it. If illness does occur despite the vaccine, it is likely to be less severe.

And there are some children that cannot be vaccinated, such as those with cancer and babies who are too young.

The reason unvaccinated people do not get sick very often is due to the fact that most of us are immunized. It is called the herd effect.

Todayin the US, outbreaks usually start with an unvaccinated person traveling abroad and bringing it back home with them.

Health Department Reports Spike in Measles Cases in Brooklyn - NYTimes.com

Those who vaccinate would love to avoid those who do not. That is why schools require vaccination in order for students to attend. Attending free public school is a privilege, not a right. If your child is not vaccinated, you may lose the privilege of a free education for your kids. Your choice.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Those who vaccinate would love to avoid those who do not. That is why schools require vaccination in order for students to attend. Attending free public school is a privilege, not a right. If your child is not vaccinated, you may lose the privilege of a free education for your kids. Your choice.
It's not exactly a privilege or a right. Something in between. Public schools are for virtually everyone because they are supported by public taxes. There are a few very specific issues that may prevent a child from attending a public school, and they usually relate to the common good. Vaccinations are definitely one of those "common good" issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or