Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:17 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,567 times

Advertisements

Is anyone really that concerned about the proposed fracking just east of the city? Reducing our reliance on foreign oil is the real issue.
DRILLING IS A FRACKING DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN! - Side Streets : Colorado Springs Gazette, CO
Your thoughts?
RP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 12:31 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,862 times
Fracking is a disaster anywhere close to population.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:51 PM

69 posts, read 223,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Is anyone really that concerned about the proposed fracking just east of the city? Reducing our reliance on foreign oil is the real issue.
I don't see how this reduces our dependence on foreign oil as we're talking about natural gas, not oil. Even if it did, though, we have finite supplies of hydrocarbon-based fuels on this planet. I'd rather see us hoard ours as long as possible...as long as foreign oil/gas is so ridiculously cheap (even when you factor in the cost of the wars that go along with it, it's still really cheap), buy as much as we can from other countries. When they start to run dry, then we're sitting on a repository to help our country out when it'll need it the most. Of course ideally we'd pursue energy efficiency instead, but oh well.

So yes, I'm concerned about tracking, not just because of probable groundwater contamination, but because I feel it places a priority on short term profits instead of long term stability in this country (i.e., using fossil fuels is a threat to our stability as they WILL run out, hence anything that makes that cheaper and more likely to be used is a threat).

Old 11-07-2011, 02:04 PM

The truth is that the new rule allows companies to claim trade secret protections and avoid disclosing what chemicals they are using to frack. It's a giant loophole. There's no way for citizens to challenge these trade secret designations.

Also, the larger point is that the state has abdicated their responsibility to protect Coloradans--meaning that local municipalities cannot ban fracking, and the state is not regulating it sufficiently. We're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:17 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
Just my opinion but I think this is the best possible development for the Banning Lewis Ranch.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:29 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
DRILLING IS A FRACKING DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN! - Side Streets : Colorado Springs Gazette, CO
Your thoughts?
RP
Why exactly can't both the environmental issues AND reducing our reliance on foreign oil be significant issues?

Old 11-09-2011, 07:12 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Fracking is a disaster anywhere close to population.
Your defintion is population may differ from mine. Why anyone chooses to live that far east is beyond me..

Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Your defintion is population may differ from mine. Why anyone chooses to live that far east is beyond me..
I think that is one of the reasons the development when bankrupt in the first place. Personally if I was going to live in Colorado Springs I could live north, west and downtown but I would never live that far east. I don't care how cheap it was.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:40 PM

No, one of the reasons it bankrupted is the recession and the couple years or so of halted development is the housing market. People love to live out there.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:59 AM

'Fracking' chemical found in town's aquifer - US news - Environment - msnbc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs