U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-11-2011, 12:03 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,367,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
I don't understand why people will move to a city that doesn't fit their wants and needs. I guess it's always "I want it to be the way it was back home". It is what it is and won't cater to you. You have to adapt to it unless you can change it. (Scratching head?) RP
Why is it that I could list a dozen things I like/love about Colorado Springs, but if I mention one thing that doesn't seem quite up to snuff that I have to suffer through "being put in my place"?

A year ago I mentioned that, while I thought the highway system in this area was very good (good capacity, planning ahead, good improvements to I-25, etc.), that I thought signage could be improved. Boy did I get kicked on for that. The old "your an outsider, so shut up" attitude. I still maintain it could be improved. Like the several places in COS where the sign indicates traffic for I-25-N should get in the right lane, and then the right lane ends before you get to I-25.

All some of us are saying is that given its population size, we're surprised the main mall here isn't a bit more vibrant. Even the company that now owns the mall says the same thing. Saying that it could be better isn't saying Colorado Springs is a terrible place to live. I doubt there are any transplants here who thought "back home" was better...if we did, we probably wouldn't have moved here. Colorado Springs is a very nice place to live.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 12:08 PM

17,190 posts, read 23,775,334 times
Agree, I like Park Meadows Mall (PMM); can be there in 45 minutes and have been there often since it has stores and eateries we don't have here. Yes, huge difference between PMM and Chapel Hills Mall (CHM).

The upscale shops (and eateries) in the Promenade Shops at Briargate (PSB) are well patronized and would go a long way to making a successful mall, it just needs a few big anchor stores to be a viable place. But it's built as a local shopping strip, not a mall, and that suits me fine. Driving in/around CHM is a pain, and the fortress-like appearance puts me off. CHM has few entrances, no inviting storefront windows for window shopping that you see at PSB or along any Main Street. Window shopping is huge in most downtown areas; Macy's in NYC makes an art form of that aspect of merchandising.

Old-school malls are deliberately built to be confusing to those walking inside. They even place the floor tiles in such a design to draw your eye, and you, along or into certain areas. All of this was studied to a gnat's eyelash many years ago.

I don't know of any eateries in CHM that I'd make a trip there to patronize, but I'll go to PSB for Ted's, Changs, Biaggi's, Panera, CPK, etc. Up at PMM, there's a "Grand Lux Cafe" that is a corporate twin to the Cheesecake Factory; food is great and so is the decor and service. You'd think that COLO SPGS could support ONE of these eateries, but neither are hear, nor do we have a Rain Forest Cafe or other such destination eatery.

I don't know what's holding back investment in our city, we certainly have a large upper middle class population here....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:52 PM

554 posts, read 545,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeols View Post
CS has created newer developments on it's northside which show an intent to attract a much needed high income capital base. The question is, will the city follow. If they don't Denver will absorb virtually all the talent.
Hmm, I'll grant that I may be cynical, but I'm guessing the newer developments on the CS northside are less an "intent to attract a much needed high income capital base" and more an "intent to capitalize on a short-term cultural phenomenon of banks lending untold amounts of money to feckless consumers for large, beautiful but poorly built homes regardless of income." The 120% loan-to-"value" mortgage/refi option (aka the home ATM) is, for better or worse, a relic of past follies, and it may be some time before we collectively figure out how to create a legitimate, sustainable "high income capital base" that would support large-scale high-end destination shopping centers.

Being 6x our size and the primary regional hub, Denver has always absorbed virtually all the talent. That's why their streets and interstates are always congested to the point of unlivability and ours generally aren't. Which is why I choose to live in Colorado Springs. Also, because I far prefer easy access to nature over easy access to high-end shopping. I'm willing to admit my background probably qualifies me as "talent" and, frankly, I and many others I know like me choose to live in Colorado Springs and we could care less about the high-end shopping experience. We hike. We bike. We climb. We put money in the kids' college savings plan. We pay down the mortgage. We don't "high-end shop" (except for the occasional REI splurge or trip to Santa Fe Trader Joe's).

Old 11-11-2011, 03:01 PM

154 posts, read 266,116 times
Same here - don't need any malls..if I need one I can get to Parks Meadow within 45 mins. I prefer the easy access around the area and into the mountains. The few times I have been at Parks Meadow..it was always jam packed!! Including the parking, roads and restaurants around. I think it is nice to have that 45 mins away (all the mall traffic). I am glad that my kids are not learning to spend their weekends hanging out in the malls with their friends!!... and I have saved a lot of money by not having that great mall nearer!

Old 11-11-2011, 03:29 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,568,947 times
Agreed Rosie123, when we lived up in Chaffee I made it into the "city" maybe 3 times / yr. The city is not for everyone.
With the high rent, you pay dearly in these "spontaneous purchase zones". ( I just made that up ) Consumers account for 70% of our economy. I guess that's why our economy isn't recovering. RP

Old 11-11-2011, 03:50 PM

676 posts, read 617,567 times
I'm not a mall basher, and I accept their place in current times (and use them on a regular basis), but if you don't need to go to the mall, you might try patronizing our downtown stores and restaurants. Drop into Quinn's or Phantom Canyon for a cold one, The Famous or McClintock's for a steak, breakfast at Smiley's, a book or cards at Poor Richard's, art at Modbo, etc., etc. And then there's OCC for more of the same. I realize Downtown and OCC don't have the big box stores and the like, but but they do offer an alternative for many things that's worth considering. I just find it a much more pleasant experience shopping and eating at our locally owned shops and restaurants. Give it a try.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:51 PM

2,974 posts, read 4,582,617 times
Park Meadows has no great shops, it's all high end stuff. Sure it looks great and has a few decent restaurants (chains) but it's nothing special.

I can't stand the Denver traffic, so I'll take our crappy shopping anyday.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:01 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,367,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Park Meadows has no great shops, it's all high end stuff. Sure it looks great and has a few decent restaurants (chains) but it's nothing special.

I can't stand the Denver traffic, so I'll take our crappy shopping anyday.
True, but when I was buying winter clothes here last year, the FAR better selection was at the Macys at Park Meadows as compared to the Macys here.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:51 PM

3,452 posts, read 3,006,354 times
We lived in Divide beginning in 1975, and it was a huge deal to go down to the Springs for back to school clothes, Christmas shopping, household goods or gifts for all occasions. We'd make a day of it starting with breakfast at Bennigan's, then going to The Citadel for May D & F; back up Academy to Chapel Hills for Joslin's, then dinner at Round the Corner and back up the pass. We did this for years until we had a computer with internet in the mid-90's, discovered Amazon, and other online shops. Soon, a Wal-Mart was built in Woodland Park, as well as some nice restaurants, and eventually there was no real need to go to the Springs for our quarterly "big" outing. We haven't been to Chapel Hills or The Citadel in probably 15 years. I don't know if we're typical, but if we are, it would explain the decline of the mall experience in Colorado Springs.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:23 AM

389 posts, read 258,826 times
I live about a half a mile away from the Chapel Hills Mall, and I only go there maybe 4 or 5 times a year. Its a combination of what other posters have said. The mall "experience" just isn't what it used to be. Most people don't go to a mall to buy electronics, they'll go to Walmart or Best Buy for that. Clothing is more expensive at malls, and you can find way better deals online. The food courts are alright, but, there's tons of chain restaurants around the city so no need to go to the mall and eat there. And anything else can be purchased online for a cheaper price, and if not, I think people are actually starting to invest more money in shopping at non-chain places and mom and pop shops.

To sum it up, the tradtional malls most people are use to going to have to come up with something new and creative. Something that will draw people back in. I guess time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs