U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 6,840 times

Advertisements

Recently moved in the area and so far there seem to be many pro's. However, we seem to be forced to drive to Denver for any decent amenities. For instance, the mall here is very outdated and the area around the mall looks to be in decline. There aren't many options other than fast food, no new concepts, etc. Compare this to the area around Park Meadows in Denver, and it's night and day. I'm worried the area will not be rehabed and this may mean we end up living closer to Denver long term.

Will Colorado Springs be building something new down here? What is their plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 10:35 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,624,730 times
Maybe you should have checked these things out before moving here. I don't think the city will change for your needs. RP

Old 11-11-2011, 10:39 AM

19,048 posts, read 8,952,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeols View Post
Recently moved in the area and so far there seem to be many pro's. However, we seem to be forced to drive to Denver for any decent amenities. For instance, the mall here is very outdated and the area around the mall looks to be in decline. There aren't many options other than fast food, no new concepts, etc. Compare this to the area around Park Meadows in Denver, and it's night and day. I'm worried the area will not be rehabed and this may mean we end up living closer to Denver long term.

Will Colorado Springs be building something new down here? What is their plan?
I think you're right. When I first moved here about 17 months ago (in the summer) I was amazed that an area with this population couldn't fully support at least one good mall. It was virtually deserted all summer long...and you're right, the area it's in isn't exactly thriving, despite being right on the interstate. Meanwhile, the strip-mall stores along Powers seem to be the place to go...although why people would prefer to drive and walk to multiple non-enclosed strip mall, I just don't get.

But, both malls here in COS are very poorly designed and confusing in their layout. So that's bad for starters.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:50 AM

154 posts, read 374,243 times
There were plans for a new mall near Voyager/I25 - but that's now on hold! Don't know if there is still something going on or if that project is now completely dead.... Anyone know?

Old 11-11-2011, 10:52 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,624,730 times
I don't understand why people will move to a city that doesn't fit their wants and needs. I guess it's always "I want it to be the way it was back home". It is what it is and won't cater to you. You have to adapt to it unless you can change it. (Scratching head?) RP

Old 11-11-2011, 11:42 AM

808 posts, read 1,179,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeols View Post
Compare this to the area around Park Meadows in Denver, and it's night and day. I'm worried the area will not be rehabed and this may mean we end up living closer to Denver long term.
I think you may be comparing apples (Park Meadows, a virtually brand new mall) and oranges (Chapel Hills, a decades-old mall). There are quite a few older malls in Denver that may similarly disappoint you relative to Park Meadows (possible candidates are: Town Center at Aurora, University Hills, Northglenn Mall, etc.). Denver has 6x the metro population than Colorado Springs so it's reasonable to expect Denver has more and larger recent-build shopping options.

Obviously you already know this, but the stores along the Powers corridor feel more "modern" feel is because Powers Blvd. was developed 20+ years after Academy Blvd. Until the local/regional/national economies rebound (may be awhile), go to the Shops at Briargate for that posh Park Meadows "feel." As for "nice" neighborhoods, there are so many in the Colorado Springs area its almost embarassing. Must one live near a fancy mall? The Broadmoor area has no fancy malls nearby and people there seem to manage somehow!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:56 AM

20,349 posts, read 37,885,022 times
Agree, both Chapel Hills and Citadel malls are old-school places, of the sort that are a dying breed. There was a TV item the other day about how SOME of these old-school malls are re-inventing themselves. One had a huge aquarium in it, people came to see the aquarium then spent money in the adjacent stores.

We had a mall back in Fairfax, VA, Fair Oaks Mall, which had several very decent places to eat and drink. When it first opened, they even had an eatery with magic acts. We spent a few hours in a place there most Friday evenings, stopping in on the way home from work for a dinner omelet and two drinks. Got to know the guys who sold nicer men's suits (Hart Marx, Bill Blass, etc); learned a lot about men's clothing, and always got great deals and service at Raleigh's (long gone).

Point is this: one of the things that made that mall a success was that it re-created a main street atmosphere where you could spend hours. Movies, eats, all sorts of shopping, watering holes, easy access to I-66 and Rte 50, etc. I don't get that feeling at all in either of the malls here. I'm not gonna drive to Citadel Mall to eat at McDonalds, I've got that all over town.

Most malls charge too much for rent. Many eateries pay both rent and a slice of gross sales to the mall owner. Ouch. Some eateries leave and build their own stand-alone eateries close by, others won't even consider a mall location for this reason. Bankruptcies may cure the attitudes of greedy mall owners.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,840 times
The problem Mike is that CS is so close to south Denver that to someone who can choose among them, why would they choose CS?

The banter here about adapting is moot. CS has created newer developments on it's northside which show an intent to attract a much needed high income capital base. The question is, will the city follow. If they don't Denver will absorb virtually all the talent. It's no different than back east where the once good part of town goes bad, and then everyone moves across town.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:49 PM

641 posts, read 1,959,309 times
Totally agree with previous post by SMDENSBCS and Mike from Back East.
I used to live right around the corner from Fair Oaks mall in Fairfax, Virginia and Mike, you're right, it was a great place to go and just hang out. I sometimes miss it.

But Park Meadows Mall and the Springs Malls really are totally different comparisons....but you wouldn't have known that....cuz you moved here more recently.

The malls here in town are OLD and at one time, when I was stationed here in the early 90's, the Citadel Mall, was at one time, a very busy place and it was actually pretty nice. Chapel Hills mall was also nice, but was never really very crowded.

Now, the Citadel isn't very impressive and neither is Chapel Hills, but I also think that the MALL is kind of an outdated thing anyway.

Overly high prices for anything you get there and other than hanging out and "people watching," there's not much to them. Many of the stores are so specialized, I wonder how they stay in business at all.

Other than going to the food court for an occassional working lunch, I just don't see the need for them.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:00 PM

3,334 posts, read 5,126,716 times
Malls as we know them are slowly dying all over the country. This is nothing particular to CS. Another thing contributing to the decline of the shopping mall that is being forgotten in this discussion is the new paradigm in shopping: Online.

Why go to the mall when you can order whatever you want online from pretty much any store you want? I can honestly say that I do a good 75% of my shopping online. Other than groceries, booze, specialty items or if there is something I absolutely must have right now, I buy online. I think its being done by more and more people all the time.

Why bother going to a movie theater and pay their outrageous prices, when you can stream it PPV on DirecTV or services such as Netflicks? I don't care if I see a movie on opening night and they only stay in the theaters a couple of weeks tops anyway these days. I'll patiently wait. Besides my big HD TV and 5.1 sound system is every bit up to snuff with anything the theater can give and the popcorn is cheap! Who ever thought we'd see Blockbuster and Hollywood video die? Who saw record/CD stores going under? The internet is killing all these businesses. I'm not saying its right or wrong; it just is.

Internet shopping and entertainment are having a big effect. I see the day when the movie theater and mall are places that we look back on fondly as they will disappear. I think that Chapel Hills is, what, like a third empty now. I have no idea what the Citadel is at, but I assume it is not doing much better. I don't really know as I think I've been in the place maybe twice in the 11 years I've lived here.

Last edited by Fullback32; 11-11-2011 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs