U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:40 AM

20,305 posts, read 37,790,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
I for one think CS is in dire need of help as to how the rest of the country views us, thanks to a LOT of bad publicity over the years. I'm glad this rebranding thing is happening - we need it. Yes, perhaps there are other taglines that would be better, but you would be surprised at how many of the good ones are taken. I know personally how hard the folks at the CVB worked on this project over a long period of time. It's not an easy or painless process - in the end, I see the benefits and hope that CS will stop being a city that is viewed with a lot of derision around the country. We who live here know the realities of how wonderful it is here, but a lot of others don't, and that's what we need to combat ... the way we have been viewed for many years.
If you have a contact there, forward them a link to this thread; I'm sure they've already seen the newspaper articles.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 11:58 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,265,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
I for one think CS is in dire need of help as to how the rest of the country views us, thanks to a LOT of bad publicity over the years. I'm glad this rebranding thing is happening - we need it. Yes, perhaps there are other taglines that would be better, but you would be surprised at how many of the good ones are taken. I know personally how hard the folks at the CVB worked on this project over a long period of time. It's not an easy or painless process - in the end, I see the benefits and hope that CS will stop being a city that is viewed with a lot of derision around the country. We who live here know the realities of how wonderful it is here, but a lot of others don't, and that's what we need to combat ... the way we have been viewed for many years.
Dire need? Why, I ask...is it really that important how the rest of the country perceives us? I agree completely that COS needs some rebranding and good publicity, but I for one never cared how the city was perceived in my time there, in which the city STILL grew tremendously, despite the horrible image we apparently had.

There are cities with fantastic reputations and wonderful publicity/press around the country, and many of them have as many if not more problems than COS, many of which stem from having good press that can help cause a massive, unhealthy and unmanageable influx of people. I'm seeing it right now in Austin; there has been such unbridled growth here (many blame the constant praise of the city in large national publications) that there are very serious traffic issues, water issues, etc. I'm definitely partially to blame, as I moved here 6 months ago with expectations that were probably a bit too lofty. As far as I know, COS doesn't have an issue with population decline (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) so why try to get people to move there? It seems they're moving to COS anyway. I assume that's one of the driving factors of wanting to re-brand.

I understand firsthand that there are serious issues that need immediate attention in COS...but if some ignoramus in California, the Northeast or even Denver wants to mock/hate/deride COS, who cares? Does it matter that much what the rest of the country thinks of us?

Stepping off the soapbox now

Old 11-21-2011, 02:05 PM

727 posts, read 1,135,011 times
I could be wrong, but i think the primary purpose of this whole PR campaign is not to attract droves of new residents, but rather to attract businesses to relocate or start up here (hopefully to employ the folks who already live here). It's also to draw more tourism to the area. If negative stereotypes (as perceived by those businesses considering a move here, or to investors ready to start of invest in new businesses) persist, they'll just choose to go somewhere else.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
I could be wrong, but i think the primary purpose of this whole PR campaign is not to attract droves of new residents, but rather to attract businesses to relocate or start up here (hopefully to employ the folks who already live here). It's also to draw more tourism to the area. If negative stereotypes (as perceived by those businesses considering a move here, or to investors ready to start of invest in new businesses) persist, they'll just choose to go somewhere else.
No, I think you're probably right...I wasn't thinking of it from that perspective at all...although at first glance, the logo/brand/video didn't seem particularly geared towards convincing businesses to come to COS...but I could be wrong there.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:52 PM

924 posts, read 1,030,894 times
Default Branding

Precisely.

Quote:

Old 11-21-2011, 04:19 PM

727 posts, read 1,135,011 times
I literally cringe when I think of that video being used to pitch the area to meeting and conference planners, potential businesses, the tourism industry, etc. I keep thinking that this is just a "prototype" or first draft of what a video would 'kinda sorta' be like, once it was done by professionals. Like a video "storyboard." But, apparently not...that was the finished product I guess. Here's a thought, hire the folks who produce the videos illustrating the college teams that play football every Saturday on TV. Each team gets a minute or so of air time during the broadcast to plug their college or university. Most are very well done, and every one I've ever seen is better than the Live it Up video.

Just saw my first bumper sticker with the "Live it up" slogan. Just letters on a plain green background (if the mountain logo was on it, it was too small for me to make it out). Truly inspiring...not. The hits just keep on comin'.

Come on guys. Admit you blew it and start over.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I literally cringe when I think of that video being used to pitch the area to meeting and conference planners, potential businesses, the tourism industry, etc. I keep thinking that this is just a "prototype" or first draft of what a video would 'kinda sorta' be like, once it was done by professionals. Like a video "storyboard." But, apparently not...that was the finished product I guess. Here's a thought, hire the folks who produce the videos illustrating the college teams that play football every Saturday on TV. Each team gets a minute or so of air time during the broadcast to plug their college or university. Most are very well done, and every one I've ever seen is better than the Live it Up video.

Just saw my first bumper sticker with the "Live it up" slogan. Just letters on a plain green background (if the mountain logo was on it, it was too small for me to make it out). Truly inspiring...not. The hits just keep on comin'.

Come on guys. Admit you blew it and start over.
Seriously. I wonder if they will, though...I'm still holding out a flicker of hope that we're being punk'd...

Good call on the CFB video idea...they also could/could have spun it as a contest in some class @ UCCS....I knew loads of talented multimedia-type majors in my time there. Give the winning group a small pile of $$, small scholarships, Chik-fil-A coupons, etc. People would have been ON THAT.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:08 PM

18,888 posts, read 8,867,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Dire need? Why, I ask...is it really that important how the rest of the country perceives us?...
Reason 1: "The city" always talks about drawing in new businesses for new jobs. Particularly important if the military bases are ever downsized.

Reason 2: "The city" wants to attract tourists as a big part of the economic revitalization of the area.

Back in 1959, when I was 10 years old, my grandparents brought me west (two years in a row) on summer vacation. Colorado Springs was a big part of what I remember of one of those trips -- Pikes Peak, the Garden Of The Gods...places I never forgot. But I don't think COS holds the same place in the mind of the public today. There are many famous red rocks areas throughout the southwest. There are many prominent national parks and ski areas in the Rockies...we have none. General Parker knew how to brand the city in his day. How to make it a health resort, for example. Now, COS has sort of an "old feel" to it. Tourist-wise, it seems more a place to drive through than to go to. And we all know the jobs situation here.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:56 AM

641 posts, read 1,954,356 times
I'm sure the original intentions were there, but like others have posted, I just don't see a catchy logo....or in this case, a not so catchy one, and a bad ad campaign really changing anyone's opinions of our city. Folks or businesses that want to move here will do so for the quality of life, regardless, and folks that have a negative opinion of the area won't change their minds after watching it.

It seems to wreak of desperation....and while there were some younger folks in the video, the majority of the people interviewed in the video were seniors!!

Watching the video, I almost got the impression that Colorado Springs is just sleepy retirement community......NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT...(-Seinfeld).

But it's also headquarters for NORTHCOM, the military's arm of Homeland Defense, and Space Command, the military's arm of ...welll SPACE!....and all the associated industries that come with both major commands.....Lockheed, Boeing, Raytheon, C3 Communications, and many others..home to the Air Force Academy, one of the largest Army posts in the country, Ft. Carson, and all the associated support, but none of that was mentioned. Its almost as if that was a dirtly lil' secret that they didn't want to put out there.

Pike's Peak was mentioned, but I think they could have also mentioned all the great schools and hospitals in the area...I think they really missed the mark.

Last edited by Terytee; 11-22-2011 at 08:07 AM..

Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 AM

841 posts, read 1,249,072 times
I agree that it would have been awesome if area high schools were given the chance to come up with a logo. Instead of $110,000, it could have been a $10,000 prize to the winning high school who came up with the best slogan. The remaining money could have gone to the PR firm who then would take that logo and make it awesome. Heck, some of our HS students are amazingly talented- THEY could have come up with the logo in their art class, and then come up with a video in their broadcasting class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or