U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:10 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,624,730 times

Advertisements

Truth been known, if it wasn't for the government supporting all the retired military here this would be a ghost town. We have no industry left, we produce nothing. How do you "brand" that? RP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 AM

2,867 posts, read 7,111,815 times
Hey I have a new slogan, I'll only ask $1000 for my consultation services. "Colorado Springs! We're not Albuquerque!"

Old 11-22-2011, 09:43 AM

Tongue in cheek, "bring your bible". RP

Old 11-22-2011, 10:31 AM

9,871 posts, read 6,332,661 times
I really believe that this is a fine example of what is ailing America's economy. I mean...our dollars aren't backed by anything anymore. It's not enough that it's not backed by gold or silver, but money is, as an idea, a means to measure VALUE. The inherent worth, as determined by human society, of property, goods, services, etc. When you have vast sums being handed around to and among those who contribute NOTHING of value to society...people being paid to shmooze basically...it undermines the value of the entire system. I'm not mad that rich people are rich. I'm mad that too many of them did nothing worthwhile to earn it. I'm starting to think that anyone who was raised into politics, or who actually WANTS to be a politician should be automatically disqualified from the job, and the fact that big government and big business are now one and the same, run by the same individuals...well the whole thing is a mess.

I'm not going to go sit in the cold, I'm lucky enough to have a paying job, but I don't blame the "Occupiers" one bit. If I had nothing better to do, I'd be out there with em. Not a hippie movement to beg for entitlement at all really...just a plea for certain people to see some common sense. The fix has to happen at all levels, where all people learn to value money properly and use it for things with real worth instead of useless, frivolous foolishness.

That said, what kind of marroon thinks that business investors and leaders (or anyone else) are going to come to town for a slick commercial? The whole thing reeks of collusion. Somebody was using this as a reason for a chunk of money to change hands, that's my guess.

To close on a smile: my personal 2012 theory is that all the super-rich & powerful lock themselves in underground bunkers for the "end." Nothing happens, but somehow they all get sealed in down there and can't get out. The rest of us rebuild a new society and the incident earns the nickname "The Great Fleabath." No more parasites. LOL

Old 11-22-2011, 11:12 AM

Well said Spork. Everything is cyclic, another conventional world war might get all things back on track, we're 20 years overdue.
I believe we are in the 4th turning, every civilization is cyclic.
'The Fourth Turning' Shows Disturbing Signs of Data Fitting - Seeking Alpha
RP

Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 PM

641 posts, read 1,959,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Hey I have a new slogan, I'll only ask $1000 for my consultation services. "Colorado Springs! We're not Albuquerque!"
Luv it!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:23 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,721,413 times
I don't understand people not wanting to move here. Low property taxes. Great schools. Great view of the mountains. Low Humidity. Mild winters. Low traffic. Well organized streets. Low retirement taxes. Low state income taxes. Low (by comparison) sales tax burden. Low on bugs. Close proximity to an airport that can get you anywhere in America using the Denver hub. Comfortable summers (texas/AZ get so hot), affordable home prices, laws protecting citizens from new imposed taxes, average unemployment rates (comparatively) that are lower than most large cities, one of the sunniest environments in America, a top 50 hospital, one of the healthiest cities in the country as measured by percentage of population that is obese.

Why would anyone need to re-brand that? Why would they choose "live it up" to replace the features of one of the most attractive cities in the country?

Old 11-29-2011, 11:14 AM

I've talked to tons of people I know all over the place about my upcoming move to CoS. Colorado has got a reputation in the wide world for being severely rugged, and having constant, heavy, massive amounts of snow. People who have no real knowledge of Colorado think you need a 4WD vehicle just to live in the state, and also think of the cartoon South Park as somehow an accurate portrayal of "what it's like" there. I am happy that I took the time to peruse this website for actual accounts from people who actually live there, as opposed to getting worked up about preconceived nonsense, or (worse) what my husband vaguely sort of recalls from having been stationed there in the 80's (ie Manitou as a haven for devil-worshippers LOL)

My present impression of the CoS atmosphere...heavy on the military and even heavier on the retired ex-military. People don't want to pay taxes, ever, if they can avoid it. Water issues. Southwest meets midwest with maybe a wee dash of West Coast flavor. I think I may pine a bit for the artsiness of Seattle, but I'm going to LOVE the infusion of common sense practicality which I miss from living in Iowa (people here in WA are ridiculous sometimes.) I get the impression that population growth isn't necessarily desired because of the water situation and how much the locals love the state more or less as is. You don't WANT it to become NYC. But it wouldn't be a bad thing if I understand correctly to draw some business to downtown CoS, other than call centers, to fill and renovate empty existing spaces. My favorite band says that the venues in that part of the country "suck" but they're talking about Denver mid-size concert bars...so I don't know. I think the attractiveness or lack thereof will depend on what a person is looking for. One thing I get loud and clear...I don't think anyone who lives in CoS feels any need to polish the image to suit outsiders and lure them in. I'm feeling "if you don't get why we love it here, stay someplace else, no skin off our backs." And there is nothing wrong with that, except that this tourism board or whatever has acted contrary to the desires of the people with this massive expenditure, and the product thereof.

Yeah?

Old 11-29-2011, 11:22 AM

Well spork me sideways, I think you hit the nail on the head!

Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 PM

I'm so glad I didn't have a mouth full of beverage. It would be decorating my monitor. As it is I might have injured myself trying not to howl with laughter here in my cubicle... Awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or