U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2011, 10:37 AM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,139,426 times
Reputation: 9066

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
I think that is the most empathic post I have ever read from you Jazz!
A lot of my posts that admonish people to be very careful about relocating to this state are predicated are the hard reality that it can be very easy to wind up in the economic dire straits that some of those people panhandling on the street find themselves confronting. I know those posts aren't what the "don't worry, be happy" crowd that constantly pimp this state want to hear, but relocating here without a secure job or income can be one of those "bad choices" that is just asking for the kind of personal financial trouble that now plagues far too many people here. In my work, I see the harsh results of those bad choices on almost a daily basis. I'm not a heartless person--it's hard to see people whose personal finances and security have been destroyed, even when it's from their own bad decisions. I've been personally very fortunate that I've survived what bad decisions that I've made along life's way. I also understand how fine a line it can be between being "fat and happy" or being "down and out." Every single day, I give thanks for for my good fortune. We have a special day for that tomorrow. People should take time to be thankful on Thanksgiving Day--not thinking about "Black Friday" that follows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2011, 10:38 AM
 
843 posts, read 1,252,423 times
Reputation: 608
Care and Share is an excellent place to donate money and food to to help those in need all throughout Southern Colorado. They just wrapped up their fall food drive, called Harvest of Love. If you have school aged children, many of them may have been called to donate money ($1 = 10 lbs of food).

The Marion House in the Springs were also looking for turkeys, and I believe the Salvation Army is looking for pies.

While some people are not truly in need, more are in need. I have had students pretend they had a stomach ache so they could go to the nurse and get saltine crackers, because they didn't have a lunch and their parents were either too proud or too lazy to ask for assistance in the way of a free or reduced lunch.


So many programs at the school I teach at are geared towards helping others- Harvest of Love (my school donated almost 31,000 pounds of food to Care and Share, through donations of money and non perishable foods), coat drives, Angel Trees, and the need only grows more and more each year.

It's heartbreaking seeing children in need of food or clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,756 posts, read 16,474,534 times
Reputation: 9292
jazzlover wrote:
Every single day, I give thanks for for my good fortune. We have a special day for that tomorrow. People should take time to be thankful on Thanksgiving Day--not thinking about "Black Friday" that follows.
Except for the time off from work, I'm not a big fan of holidays in general. THANKSGIVING however is an exception. It is the one holiday worthy of being extended to include every day of the entire year. On the other hand....F*** black friday. Refuse to participate in that effing nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 11:26 AM
 
20,343 posts, read 37,861,657 times
Reputation: 18144
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
...THANKSGIVING however is an exception. It is the one holiday worthy of being extended to include every day of the entire year. On the other hand....F*** black friday. Refuse to participate in that effing nonsense.
I express my gratitude and good fortune on a daily basis, though there was an element of planning going back 40+ years that had some influence on my current state of comfort.

I too refuse not only the madness of Black Friday but the whole orgy of end of year spending. It used to sadden me to see obviously poor folks loading up carts of cheap toys at K or Wal Marts every year and paying high credit card rates for who knows how long into the future, with the toys broken, forgotten or discarded before the bills were even paid off. So I avoid such places at this time of year. We used to shop for family and friends at craft fairs for nice things that would last a lifetime and were made in the USA.

We don't give handouts to panhandlers as I suspect they will use it for drugs or alcohol. Like Ryan, I've seen a few people in places one would not normally expect to see them around town, like the woman at Powers and Union, in one of the finest areas on the far north side (Pine Creek, $$$). Haven't seen her lately though. I did see a young man in a nice suit standing at the Bijou St off ramp of I-25 with a sign saying "Will work for money."

We support several well known charities around town and the country where people can turn to for a warm place or food.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
19,026 posts, read 8,932,176 times
Reputation: 18382
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
It's sad and chilling to hear someone think & talk so dispassionately about the homeless. Even sadder is I think you are not the only person who thinks that way in that region of town. The saddest part is that I grew up in that area and used to have a similar mindset towards panhandlers- assume the worst, judge them, and get mad at the huge imposition of having someone ask you for change as you walk into a restaurant to drop $20 on dinner, or as you wait for 30 seconds at a stoplight before driving off in your car and never seeing them again.

There was another recent thread about how the rest of the country views COS with derision- people like you are a major reason why. Insular, arrogant and ambivalent to those less fortunate than you.

After reading this post, I think we know who the real jerk off is.
Well, I'm not sure I quite agree with your viewpoint here.

First of all, a lot depends on why a person is poor and destitute. Some people have really bad luck, and others make extremely poor decisions. I'll give you two examples very close to home. My sister wasn't homeless, but she was damned poor and for several years she and her "husband" didn't even have a working toilet in their house. Of course, she also quit high school a month before graduation, was stoned half her life, and never held a job for more than 2 months. And then there was her son (my nephew) who committed some crime (I never asked what...probably drugs), ended up in the state pen in Florida for 2 years, and now whines because he can't get or hold a job. Life didn't do it to them...they did it to themselves.

Second, this summer I went downtown one day and walked around Tejon for about 30 minutes and was accosted over a dozen times by the homeless. Why should I have to be accosted? It's getting unpleasant down there, and the magnet is the soup kitchen across from the Catholic Church.

Third, in most places, where the homeless congregate, crime is substantially higher and property values plummet.

I just think you look at it all very simplistically.

Third,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
1,309 posts, read 2,270,045 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, I'm not sure I quite agree with your viewpoint here.

First of all, a lot depends on why a person is poor and destitute. Some people have really bad luck, and others make extremely poor decisions. I'll give you two examples very close to home. My sister wasn't homeless, but she was damned poor and for several years she and her "husband" didn't even have a working toilet in their house. Of course, she also quit high school a month before graduation, was stoned half her life, and never held a job for more than 2 months. And then there was her son (my nephew) who committed some crime (I never asked what...probably drugs), ended up in the state pen in Florida for 2 years, and now whines because he can't get or hold a job. Life didn't do it to them...they did it to themselves.

Second, this summer I went downtown one day and walked around Tejon for about 30 minutes and was accosted over a dozen times by the homeless. Why should I have to be accosted? It's getting unpleasant down there, and the magnet is the soup kitchen across from the Catholic Church.
Third, in most places, where the homeless congregate, crime is substantially higher and property values plummet.

I just think you look at it all very simplistically.

Third,
Accosted?! Oh brother. No one gets 'accosted' by homeless in the Springs! Either you're using the strong word intentionally to try to prove your point, or you consider a harmless homeless person asking for spare change as being 'accosted'.

I'm not so concerned about policy as I am about the point of view here...I'm bothered by those who look down their nose suspiciously at homeless people, make a hasty judgment about them (you're wearing a nice jacket and asking for change or food, therefore you must be a liar and/or thief) and dispassionately dismiss them as a minor imposition, under the guise of being 'accosted' or throwing out a bogus fact about crime and home values in order to justify your viewpoint-- where I just moved to, Austin, has a high population of homeless and has for awhile. Subsequently, crime is low, and property values have hardly plummeted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 PM
 
Location: 80904 West siiiiiide!
2,867 posts, read 7,107,983 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
ryanek9freak wrote:
Something needs to be done about this problem.
It's only a problem in the mind of someone who makes it a problem. Mostly I just ignore them, but on ocassion I do reach into my pocket and make a donation to the casue. No one is required to give. Pay attention to your heart and respond accordingly.
Like I said, stop giving them money, and they'll go away. Or do you not get that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 07:53 PM
 
Location: 80904 West siiiiiide!
2,867 posts, read 7,107,983 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
It's sad and chilling to hear someone think & talk so dispassionately about the homeless. Even sadder is I think you are not the only person who thinks that way in that region of town. The saddest part is that I grew up in that area and used to have a similar mindset towards panhandlers- assume the worst, judge them, and get mad at the huge imposition of having someone ask you for change as you walk into a restaurant to drop $20 on dinner, or as you wait for 30 seconds at a stoplight before driving off in your car and never seeing them again.

There was another recent thread about how the rest of the country views COS with derision- people like you are a major reason why. Insular, arrogant and ambivalent to those less fortunate than you.

After reading this post, I think we know who the real jerk off is.
Well ok mr/mrs. Bleeding heart liberal....YOU are the reason these people are even here! They hang out on the street corners because they KNOW people will give them money. I mean hey, why work for a living when you can make $10 hr begging on a corner? If you are REALLY in need, and homeless, there are many programs that will help you, like United Way, or the Springs Rescue Mission. What both of them have in common, is that you MUST be drug and alcohol free to use their services. Of course that simply just won't do for mr. Pan handling tweaker/scam artist that has no dignity and doesn't care about begging.

Jerk off my ass. I know there are REAL homeless people out there, and for them I do feel. I regularly contribute to charities to help the homeless. But I WILL NOT give my cash to some lazy drug addict standing at Palmer Park and Powers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
19,026 posts, read 8,932,176 times
Reputation: 18382
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Accosted?! Oh brother. No one gets 'accosted' by homeless in the Springs! Either you're using the strong word intentionally to try to prove your point, or you consider a harmless homeless person asking for spare change as being 'accosted'.

I'm not so concerned about policy as I am about the point of view here...I'm bothered by those who look down their nose suspiciously at homeless people, make a hasty judgment about them (you're wearing a nice jacket and asking for change or food, therefore you must be a liar and/or thief) and dispassionately dismiss them as a minor imposition, under the guise of being 'accosted' or throwing out a bogus fact about crime and home values in order to justify your viewpoint-- where I just moved to, Austin, has a high population of homeless and has for awhile. Subsequently, crime is low, and property values have hardly plummeted.
Well, when you step out of your car and 3 homeless men walk over, one stands in front of you, another in back of you, another to your left, and your car is to your right...then I think saying I was accosted is fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
583 posts, read 1,302,888 times
Reputation: 493
I never give cash to a person on the street. Do the research and you'll see where most of that money goes.

I have purchased food several times. The last time was rather humorous...I was approaching a drive-up window when I was approached by someone who asked if I could buy them a sandwich. I said sure and just as I pulled up to order he further clarified...he wanted a #7 with a coke. I laughed and got him what he wanted.

Either way, I have no problem buying food for someone in need, but I'm not going to contribute to their alcohol/drug problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top