Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:48 AM

3 posts, read 6,998 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a pediatrition in colorado springs who does not require vaccines. This is a personal choice based on science and I should not be forced to vaccinate just to take my baby to a doctor.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:18 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,290,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel99atc View Post
I am looking for a pediatrition in colorado springs who does not require vaccines.
I think you mean pediatrician.

But in this case "pediatrition" is an interesting Freudian slip...as in pedia (of children) and attrition (reducing their numbers).

I know a couple of them here who won't treat kids that are not vaccinated, mostly due to not wanting to be even tangentially exposed to liability for the consequences of such a tremendously risky decision.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:55 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
I think you mean pediatrician.

But in this case "pediatrition" is an interesting Freudian slip...as in pedia (of children) and attrition (reducing their numbers).

I know a couple of them here who won't treat kids that are not vaccinated, mostly due to not wanting to be even tangentially exposed to liability for the consequences of such a tremendously risky decision.
I was going to make a comment about the spelling, as well as about the science, and possible relationships between spelling and education, etc., - but I was trying to restrain myself. Obviously people have strong feelings on this issue.
Penn and Teller on Vaccinations - YouTube (Penn and Teller on the topic - not PG).

I personally could not find any information about pediatricians who do not require vaccinations for the questioner. I guess I would suggest just calling and asking.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:10 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,557 times
I don't know about doctors, but you will have a very hard time finding a school to accept an unvaccinated child here in Colorado Springs. I assume you will be home-schooling your child- no day care would take your child as well.

I had a friend who was forced to take her kids out of school and home school them because of her stance on the issue.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:46 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
In Woodland Park RE-2, vacs are pretty much mandatory, so you don't get a gimme for moving to the mountains, either...

Old 11-06-2011, 10:47 PM

Perfect video, Otowi!! I agree 100% with the message.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:50 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Yes, great video.

Sometimes I think that younger folks are a little spoiled by modern medicine. I'm old enough to remember the scary days of polio, diphtheria, two types of measles, chickenpox, whooping cough, and all the rest of the childhood diseases we kids back in the early 50s were still susceptible to.

As a school principal back East before retiring, I was quite glad that vaccinations were rigidly required to protect not only the individual child, but also all the other children they came into contact with. I've seen minor diseases spread through a school. It's a scary thing.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:14 PM

Both my grandfather and my uncle had polio that crippled them mildly, but enough that they had problems. When the sugar cubes came into being, our elementary school literally held a Vaccination Party, and all the kids and parents came. The kids (me included) got our first sugar cube and later the other two. But it was a HUGE deal. Our parents were so glad that this disease would be eradicated.

I also remember when my daughters got their MMR's and the pediatrician asked if I'd had measles, mumps or rubella, and I told him no, so I got vaccinated as well.

I'm glad Colorado Springs and Teller County school districts are pretty strict about vaccinating. It's irresponsible not to vaccinate, in my opinion.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:20 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
I recall the sugar cube days, boy, we're we ever glad to get it. Before that, back in the mid 1950's, I recall the fear that gripped people about polio, and how we couldn't go to the only swimming pool around because some kid there had gotten polio. I recall the photo's of entire hospital wards full of people so crippled by polio that they spent their lives in an iron lung, the last of which just died a few years ago. Iron lungs are a reminder of "the good old days" which never were all that good for most of us.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:44 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,178 times
I'd sure be interested in knowing what "science" the OP is citing for deciding not to vaccinate for childhood diseases. Like Mike and Pheteroi, I remember the days when polio, diptheria, measles, mumps, etc. were real threats to chldren and adults as well. Having lived in Alaska, I quickly became aware of the famous "Diptheria Run" to Nome by dogsled with vaccine back at the turn of the century saved that entire community from almost certain death (and became the basis for the current Iditarod dog race that commemorates that event, and a monument erected to the lead sleddog, Balto, in DC). Thankfully those diseases have been largely eradicated, at least in this country, largely BECAUSE vaccinations are readily available and, for the most part, mandatory. IMO, this isn't just a personal choice or a nanny state government overreach issue. Rather, it's a serious health issue that could affect any of us. I had a form of mumps that landed me in the hospital at age 5 for a week, in quarantine. Not much fun for a five year old. i also had allergies that precluded me from being vaccinated for small pox. That was a real concern for me as a kid, because small pox had not been eradicated in this country and was still a threat. That concern actually followed me into adulthood and even when I joined the military. OP, unless you have strongly held religious beliefs that prohibit vaccinations, please reconsider for your kids' sake...and please, don't cite "science" as your reason for not doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs