U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:50 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,264,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Mr Wag, about the "drinking copious amounts of beer afterwards" I think that's a real bad decision.
The DUI laws here are Nazi. Get caught and you're looking at $5K-$7k in most cases and the year long classes. I have a freind out in the high country that's still trying to get his license back from 1997.
One beer rule. RP
Thanks for the decorum, but just Wag is fine

Yeah, that's good advice. I always had one or two, but I also biked home from the run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 11:45 AM

2,147 posts, read 4,184,723 times
I'd suggest that OP google Manitou Springs Chamber of Commerce, Old Colorado City and also google things like arts in COS, yoga studios, whole foods, etc. Seeing websites and businesses that are in line with his/her interests, can go a long way towards making someone feel at home ahead of time. Also, look up garden of the gods, etc ['area attractions'] for inspiration.....

Old 11-26-2011, 11:50 AM

18,885 posts, read 8,860,357 times
Well, I used to live in Maryland, and I am somewhat familiar with Hagerstown. Trust me, you are much better off in Colorado Springs!!!!!

I lived overseas for a couple of years (in Thailand), and when the riots and arson broke out there I decided to return to the US, but didn't want to move back East (been there done that sort of attitude). I found it fairly easy to make friends here...not always my strong suit, but I find people out here fairly friendly. Yes, things are more liberal here, but it doesn't impact daily life. It's not an in-your-face type of thing, and it sort of mixes in with the Colorado attitude of what you do is your own business. I wouldn't say Colo Springs is right-wing conservative on balance, but it is somewhat conservative politically. Sort of like the religious thing. You see an awfully lot of churches around, but since I moved here about 18 months ago I've had one group of door bell ringers when I first bought the townhouse.

In terms of what the city is like. Hmmmmm. A lot nicer than Hagerstown! Pretty decent place. Downtown has some popular eateries and drinking place. The Old Colorado City area has some artsy shopping places and decent restaurants...sort of an old town atmosphere. Manitou Springs is weird...in a good way. There's a decent mall (for this size city) and you can do most of your shopping here. Occasionally you might want to drive up to Park Meadows in south Denver...less than an hour's drive, and that's a huge, modern, and attractive mall. Ethnic cooking out here can be a little difficult. For example, I cook lots of Thai and some Indian food, and finding the right ingredients can be a challenge, although in the end you can usually find what you need or reasonable substitutions.

I would feel Hagerstown in the end of the world. I certainly don't feel that way in Colorado Springs! I think you made the right decision.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:57 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, I used to live in Maryland, and I am somewhat familiar with Hagerstown. Trust me, you are much better off in Colorado Springs!!!!!....I would feel Hagerstown in the end of the world. I certainly don't feel that way in Colorado Springs! I think you made the right decision.
Thanks for saving me the time to say the same thing to the OP. He's gonna love it here. I could've retired to the Hagerstown, MD and/or Greencastle, PA area to get away from the DC mess, but there's nothing much there to do, I'd still have to drive 2-4 hours into DC for shows, culture, events, etc. We have decent cultural stuff here in COLO SPGS and Denver is just 60-90 minutes north and houses the mother lode of culture for the entire region.

I spent 57 years in the Baltimore - DC - Northern VA area, and I know Hagerstown well enough to know you DID make the right choice to come here to COLO SPGS. Our national reputation is a bit of a hoot (thanks to the media) but there's really no problems here; the people really ARE nice. Religion here is a LOT LESS in your face than in VA or the south. You can find closed minds everywhere, including the Amish farmers in regions around Hagerstown (try cracking into THAT social circle sometime, ). Forget about it, it's not an issue to worry about.

Wait 'til you see fresh snow glistening on Pikes Peak (14,115 Feet) some frosty morning.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:02 PM

34,531 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Colorado springs is awesome. I bet you will like it, but if you do not, then nothing is stopping you from moving back. Just get some birkenstocks and a golden retreiver and you'll fit right it.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:57 PM

727 posts, read 1,134,823 times
We've been here for a year+ now, and love it. We moved from Fredericksburg, VA and lived in and around the DC beltway for about 28 years. We had the same concerns you've expressed, but the posters in this forum, especially Mike (thanks again) helped dispel the rep that CS has. No question it's a politically conservative area. The local daily newspaper (Gazette) reinforces it every day (so read the weekly Independent) and the religious right certainly is evident. Add the heavy military presence and you you get a 60/40 split to the conservative side in the voting patterns, both locally and nationally. That said, we've found it to be a very live and let live community with plenty of outlets for our moderate to liberal sensibilities. We love it here, and don't plan on leaving the area. As other posters suggested, the Old Colorado City and Manitou Springs would be logical places to look. We found kindred souls in the Old North End area, just north of Colorado College, near downtown.

Now, my COS mantra: No bugs, no humidity, no traffic. I live by these words and am thankful I don't have to deal with any of that any more. OK, there's a bit of traffic north of town and Denver can get really congested, but believe me, it's nothing like the DC I-95 corridor, which, you will deal with to some degree in Hagerstown if you plan on going to DC, or God forbid, you have to commute. I've been to Hagerstown on more than a few occasions, and found it be to be nice town, but nothing special to cause me to want to relocate there, unless, of course, you really want to live near DC. The weather in the summer is stifling with humidity and the mosquitos will drive you crazy.

If you haven't been to the West, you'll have to get used to a different kind of beauty in nature. When we moved to CA when I was a kid, my mother, who was from Vermont, was terribly homesick for the rolling green terrain that's everywhere in New England. Here, the beauty if more rugged with incredible vistas of mountains the likes of which you don't find in the East. We absolutely revel in the beauty of this region (with base of Pikes Peak literally a few minutes drive), but it is different.

Everyone has different priorities and expectations. Come with an open mind, and I think you'll be very happy here, and won't look back.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:46 AM

3 posts, read 21,900 times
I tried to post a reply to all of these earlier but it looks like it didn't go through for some reason. I just wanted to say thank you SO MUCH for all of your words of advice and insight. It is a relief to me just knowing that there are people like you guys out there, truly. I'm checking out apartments to rent in Manitou Springs and Old Colorado City as we speak. I'm sure I'll miss the ocean and farmlands of home but it's just a two year contract, so I'm going to try to look at it like an adventure and keep an open mind. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for making this a little easier for me to digest.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:19 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,483,318 times
Think of it as a working vacation! Two years is nothing, take advantage of all the great things around here!

Old 11-27-2011, 09:16 AM

5,607 posts, read 20,184,784 times
I'm trying to guess how you had only hours to choose between two drastically different life directions. The whole story sounds fishy. Did you get the second job offer at the last minute before the time period to respond to the 1st one expired? If so, I hope you went with the job who wanted you more. Which one came out first and enthusiastically offered you the position? Or did one of them take weeks to respond? Don't try to use one job offer as leverage in negotiations to get another offer-- even though sometimes it actually works and you succeed in getting the position, you might be the first to be let go if they don't really want you there.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:46 AM

7 posts, read 13,330 times
Thank you so much for posting this question! I have been looking into Colorado Springs myself and I live in Manhattan. We are considering moving from the most expensive city in the country, which, although I love it, is really too expensive for us now that we have kids. I see on salary calculators that the cost of living is half of what it is here. Plus we need somewhere with a lot of sunshine (my husband suspects he has SAD) but I can't bear too much heat. Thankfully we can bring our New York jobs with us as we both telecommute.

I have lived in quite a few places in my life including Phoenix (too hot), Flagstaff (college), Hawaii and Los Angeles. NYC was the hardest to get used to because I couldn't see the sky. After 15 years here, I now know that it just takes a while to get used to new scenery. Your sense of beauty adjusts. And just remember that if you don't like it there, you can always move. Just make sure you don't invest too much money in real estate or furniture until you are sure you want to stay! :-)

I am looking forward to coming out there for a visit and seeing the beautiful mountains in person. I always thought East Coast mountains were really hills because I spent most of my life in the western US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or