U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:42 PM

19,002 posts, read 8,914,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I'm trying to guess how you had only hours to choose between two drastically different life directions. The whole story sounds fishy. Did you get the second job offer at the last minute before the time period to respond to the 1st one expired? If so, I hope you went with the job who wanted you more. Which one came out first and enthusiastically offered you the position? Or did one of them take weeks to respond? Don't try to use one job offer as leverage in negotiations to get another offer-- even though sometimes it actually works and you succeed in getting the position, you might be the first to be let go if they don't really want you there.
I don't see any reason to question the OP on her post sounding "fishy".

One possible scenario is that she had two offers from within the same company that has offices in both Hagerstown and Colorado Springs...for example a bank or loan company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 07:36 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,206,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't see any reason to question the OP on her post sounding "fishy".

One possible scenario is that she had two offers from within the same company that has offices in both Hagerstown and Colorado Springs...for example a bank or loan company.
Yeah, and then they only give you literally a few hours to decide on a life changing move? I mean, I've heard stories of crappy employers, but I've never heard anything that bad before.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 21,915 times
I understand your questions- what happened was I was en route to my second-round interview in Maryland (first round is over the phone) when Colorado called me and offered me the job based on my portfolio, references, application materials. Our interviews happened entirely over the phone since I wasn't local enough to come by in person and they had no budget to fly me out there. I was forthright and honest with the hiring manager and explained that I was in the middle of a 10 hour drive to another interview the next day, and would like to have a few days to complete my other interviews as a professional courtesy and ultimately have time to think it over. The manager agreed to give me a week, but then HIS manager called me and really put the pressure on, demanding to know why I didn't accept such a high bid automatically. I explained my situation to him and he stated that he would have to continue to consider other applicants because the job at his company "obviously wasn't my first pick". I asked if I could have until the end of that week to think it over and he conceded to giving me one day instead. At that point I had to go into my Maryland interview the next day and explain that I had to make a decision on the other offer by the end of the day, at which point Maryland also offered me the job...and the rest is history. Hope that clarifies things!

Old 11-29-2011, 07:30 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,712,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Mr Wag, about the "drinking copious amounts of beer afterwards" I think that's a real bad decision.
The DUI laws here are Nazi. Get caught and you're looking at $5K-$7k in most cases and the year long classes. I have a freind out in the high country that's still trying to get his license back from 1997.
One beer rule. RP
Sorry to quote from page one, but it's just a couple days ago.

This makes me want to move there so much more. In the city I live in currently drinking under the influence is a major problem and leads to several deaths despite the city population being under 70k. Getting behind the wheel means taking control of a large and powerful weapon, which you will be taking around other people. When you are sober, you are unlikely to endanger their lives. Choosing to get drunk and fire a gun, drive a car, or use any other tools that can create massive destruction is risking the lives of the people around you.

The rules are simple. Don't risk killing my family by driving drunk, and you'll be fine. If you jeopardize the families and lives of others in your community, why should they permit you to drive? Driving is NOT a right.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:46 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,712,387 times
Enrgzr, it all sounds like something that happens. I'm a little concerned that they would try to strong arm you. It's a sign to watch out for someone in management and make sure you have a healthy savings account. I usually say "No" to anyone who demands an immediate answer. What they have generally isn't good enough that I can't get it later, and if they were that eager to put the deal together it must be in their favor.

I think you'll do great in CS. I'm currently a libertarian living in a heavily democratic (70%+ as of the census) area. That's heavier on left wing than CS is on right wing. I've looked at Denver but I would consider Denver to be heavy on the left.

Is it politics really that important to you? Ask yourself how it will impact you daily. Do you want to be able to talk to random people on the street and be assured they have the same views? Are you concerned about opening up and discussing ideas that might challenge your views? I'm fairly open to discussion and it certainly changed my views in the past. CS may offer less "free" (tax sponsored) entitlements, but since you have a job that shouldn't be a large concern. The upside is the property taxes are dramatically lower. You'll probably want to rent since the job situation may be unstable, but those lower property taxes lead to a reduction in cost for renting agencies which in a large city (read competitive environment) means lower renting costs as well as lower ownership costs.

Think of it as the benefits of fiscally (sometimes) responsible (except for USOC) government without having to vote for it.

Welcome to the region. I can think of nowhere I'd rather live. While my previous addresses are not as prolific as the previous poster (hawaii, LA, NY, etc) it was still seeing enough of the country to recognize beauty when I saw it.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:48 AM

76 posts, read 156,020 times
Default Colorado Springs vs. Maryland

First I want to wish you well where ever you end up. My self estranged sister-in-law lives in Colorado Springs. She is an uber liberal who has chosen to stay away from family and most friends from central TX since the 1970s. It is her choice which we respect. She now has a serious health condition and is totally dependent on the friends she has in "the springs." The point is that family and friends are important whether they are the ties that bind or those that strangle. I am in my mid 50s and it is a rare month that I don't read or hear of someone I knew in high school, college, or the army either being burried or burrying their spouse. Most of my immediate family have died off. Getting back to Colorado Springs, it is more conservative than most of Colorado. I think the location of Focus on the Family accross from the Air Force Academy helps give the springs that reputation. Come to think of it the large military presence of the Air Force Academy, Fort Carson, and Peterson Air Force Base helps with the conservative reputation. There is a large military retiree presence in Colorado Springs. Most military people are more conservative than the general population until the conversation shifts to cutting benifits. (Pardon the jab, but I live around San Antonio, TX, a military retiree Mecca. I've noticed this tendency among military retirees. The disclamer is that I will be one myself at age 60 due to my Army Reserve service.) Your parents being Republican, I am sure you can handle the conservatives of Colorado Springs. Take the tour of Focus on the Family. I have and I did not notice any evidence of heritic or gay people be burning at the stake. But then again they haven't taken over yet as John Calven did Geneva. Take the tour of the Air Force Academy and the Olympic Center. When I see the athelets at the at the Olympic Center it motivates me to get back into my exercise program. Colorado Springs is a stunningly beautiful place with the mountains in the background. I hope you meet good people there. Beware: Every time I visit Colorado Springs I hear of some henous crime. I was there last July and the news was all about a tripple homicide. Chelsy Grammer, the psychologist actor from Cheers, had a sister murdered outside a Red Lobster some years ago in Colorado Springs. I heard the murderer was caught and is now in prison. I am not sure if there is more serious crime there than in other places or that it just gets more press coverage. It seems ironic that such a pretty place would have such things happen there. It is good advice to watch your back where ever you are.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:10 PM

932 posts, read 1,034,630 times
Wink what lrmsd said

Just because some voices are louder than others, doesn't mean they're the only voice or the majority - it's unfortunate the rep we seem to have across the USA.

Do a search, as lrmsd suggested - online in general and here on city-data - you'll find everything you're looking for and more. And you'll fall in love with the mountains. If you want liberal, laid back, look at the historical west side or Manitou Springs.

Also, go online and look at our local "alternative" weekly (csindy.com) - a paper that has grown by leaps and bounds since it's inception, because there is an audience for it.

You'll be fine. Relax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
I'd suggest that OP google Manitou Springs Chamber of Commerce, Old Colorado City and also google things like arts in COS, yoga studios, whole foods, etc. Seeing websites and businesses that are in line with his/her interests, can go a long way towards making someone feel at home ahead of time. Also, look up garden of the gods, etc ['area attractions'] for inspiration.....

Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Colorado springs is awesome. I bet you will like it, but if you do not, then nothing is stopping you from moving back. Just get some birkenstocks and a golden retreiver and you'll fit right it.
and a Subaru Outback.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:18 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,117,246 times
^ LOL... Get a green Outback with an Obamba sticker and you'll fit right in with the liberals.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:23 PM

Oh yeah, and please bring some lobster for us displaced New Englanders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or