U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:59 PM

8 posts, read 7,726 times

Advertisements

So when I look at the crime map there is a crazy amount of suicides, like 40 in the past 20 days. Is this accurate? If so does anyone know why there are so many? Also, we were looking at the Gazette.com and they have a homicide map. They mapped like 40 homicides in COS in the past year, is that correct? Everything that is said about the Springs is how family friendly it is so I am having a hard time believing these numbers. Please any opinions at all, because this is making us question the move, and we were SO excited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 08:44 PM

20,326 posts, read 37,840,000 times
I don't doubt the 40 homicides in a year, but I've never heard of that many suicides, so I checked the crime report and I counted 94 suicides since between 12/12/11 and 01/11/12. Amazing statistic. The holiday period is a time of year that many people get bummed to the point of suicide. I found 70 suicides in August 2011. But the 94 suicides seems to be valid police reporting, since that site gets it's data directly from the CSPD automated "calls for service" 911 database.

Suicide rate, per this site, is 11 per 100,000 people. Wiki has similar stats, with the USA at 42nd on the list, but must note that both sites use WHO stats. For a city of 400,000 we should be having 44 per year, not 94 in one month. Something is very wrong, but there's nothing on the local news about it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:16 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,698,140 times
There is a suicide epidemic for veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan, I believe - the military has not successfully managed PTSD and other issues these soldiers have returned home with. Further, Colorado has always had a higher suicide rate and I think I read an article that suggests there may be an association with the higher altitude and suicide - something biological - just like the lack of sunlight in Alaska in winter contributes to high rates there. Other factors to consider is what Colorado does to support the mentally ill or prevent suicide - I think in terms of these services, Colorado may be behind other places. Also, Colorado I think has often been better than many states at reporting suicides as well as other crimes.

All that said, someone out there could, should and may be earning a living doing research on the problem and its solutions.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 PM

8 posts, read 7,726 times
Does it effect the living there? With the homicides, are people nervous about walking around at night? We love the scenery and everything we have seen there, but we are trying to determine if the crime statistics are enough to deter us, and if any of it effects the schooling (and/or the children)...

Old 01-12-2012, 07:34 AM

5,011 posts, read 6,698,140 times
No, it doesn't have any effect that I can see.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:15 AM

641 posts, read 1,956,750 times
It really doesn't affect day to day life....our downtown area is actually very safe and is full of people on summer nights. It's a great place to stroll with the family. We also have lots of great parks and they're also very safe.

Of course, random crime does happen....anywhere....but you have to use good judgement and it never hurts to be prepared. I don't know what the break down of that suicide stats are, but I agree with the previous post...I immediately thought of War vets.

Ft. Carson is a huge post with thousands of troops that are heavily deployed...all the time. Don't know if that was the root cause, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Don't let stats worry you. It's not a post-apocolyptic waste land by any means. When the weather warms up a bit, take a short trip out and it will go a long way toward alleviating fears like that.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:13 PM

727 posts, read 1,136,442 times
There's only one part of town (the southeast) that posters here seem to suggest is a bit sketchy. However, you'll find that COS in general is a very safe area. I've lived in cities where there are parts that are definitely not safe, and I know the difference. I don't think you'll find any of those types of areas in COS. I live downtown just a few blocks north of Colorado College and the downtown core. Though it's downtown, it's considered to be very safe. I have no compunction about walking in my neighborhood late at night to walk my dogs or being downtown at any time. We are often downtown for dinner or a show at the performing arts center. We never feel uncomfortable or unsafe. As Terytee suggests, good judgment and common sense should always prevail, regardless of where you are in COS or elsewhere, but I think you can be confident that you can feel safe just about anywhere in the city.

As to the crime and suicide stats, some may be attributed to returning troops/PTSD, as Terrytee suggests, but also I suspect the uptick in the past year is also a product of of our times. There's a lot of depression and domestic violence over lost jobs and financial woes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs