Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 02:39 PM

727 posts, read 1,365,714 times

Advertisements

Becstar24 - We can probably help you, but need more info. What is "not too high" for rent? I think most folks on the forum will tell you that there aren't any really "bad" areas that you must avoid, other than possibly the southeast part of town. Others will tell you that the southeast is fine. Give us a bit more information on what your housing requirements are (size, bedrooms, etc.) and your budget, and we can probably give you some pretty good feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 10:25 PM

8 posts, read 9,453 times
I know that it sounds ridiculous, but we are moving with not much of a plan. We do not have jobs lined up or a place to live when we get there. Our situation here in FL is bad and we have decided we have to do something drastic to fix it. We have been looking for a family oriented place where we can experience things for the first time, like snow and real seasons. Where we live now we do not feel safe allowing our 10 and 12 year old to play outside by their selves, and that is a very big issue for us.
We want to stay in the $800 range to be safe. We need a 3 bedroom house, we have a dog so we want to stay away from apartments.
Also, I was wondering if there are entry level jobs available? My husband and I do not have degrees, just experience (him- moving, plumbing, furniture delivery me- retail, customer service, some business management schooling)
This really is so nice of all of you to give us COS hopefuls an insiders point of view! It is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 12-19-2011, 04:04 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
There are jobs, but lots of people want them, so I wouldn't necessarily count on landing a job immediately, although I wish you luck. You might find a small 3-bedroom in that price range possibly in Security or Fountain - both are family-oriented relatively safe areas, although crime does happen everywhere now and then.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:10 PM

From what I've been reading lately, COS seems to have one growth industry: Call centers. So, that might be an opportunity. Otherwise, agree with Otowi. Jobs are tight everywhere. Here's a thought: the biggest Colorado owned business is an outfit called American Furniture Warehouse. They have stores all over Colorado and my understanding is they're trying to establish themselves as a nationwide entity on-line, with delivery services. If your husband has moving, furniture delivery and/or truck driving experience, you might want to check them out. I think Fountain and Security are good bets to find housing in your price range. You might also find something in the downtown area, the Patty Jewitt neighborhood, possibly. Smaller, older homes, near everything. I think it'll be tough to find a house in most of the newer suburbs that meet your needs at your price point. I don't really think you'll need to worry much about crime in this city. There are the usual property-related incidents (breaking and entering, vandalism, etc) that every town has, but I don't think you'll have much difficulty finding a neighborhood that's safe for your kids to play.

I wish you the best of luck...your story sounds like my family's when I was a kid. We moved from Connecticut to SoCal. My folks didn't have jobs when we arrived, and not much money either. Times were a bit tough at first, but my folks found jobs soon enough and eventually things worked out.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:06 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
I consider breaking and entering a significant problem. It means there is a criminal forcing their way into my house. Since that is where my family usually sleeps, I don't want a criminal, armed or not, sneaking around them.

I'll be a bit surprised if you find something nice with 3 bedrooms at 800/month. Looking for apartments I found most of the nice ones (has a W/D in unit, I WILL NOT use a laundromat downstairs, too expensive having my clothes ruined) often charge more than 800 for a two bedroom. Of course I also rule things out that look like they might have problems that some people wouldn't be sensitive to. Since you have two kids, I think you'd be sensitive to the same types of influence that leave me uninterested in those places.

You REALLY need to line up a place to stay before you move, and if you move without jobs you'll have to be prepared to struggle to get minimum wage and work in a bad environment. Note that I would say that last sentence about moving ANYWHERE.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:28 PM

Didn't mean to suggest the B/E isn't a serious crime, for the reasons you cite, only that it's not of epidemic proportions in COS. Incidents of this type, unfortunately, happen and occur everywhere. Lately, we've had a few incidents of this nature in my neighborhood, mostly involving someone leaving property unattended outside, or a garage door open, and some kids taking off with what they can grab...or vandalizing outdoor Christmas lights and decorations. Unfortunate and maddening, but again, not epidemic or symptomatic of a larger wave of criminal activity. My only point is that COS is largely a safe environment to live your life and raise your kids, and, with few exceptions, almost anywhere in town. I've lived in cities with areas you did not willingly go to either in daylight, or especially, at night. I just haven't heard of anything like that here.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:29 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
Thank you for the clarification. I had clearly misinterpreted the original distinction between the crime and the frequency. I love to see proper use of "epidemic proportions". Thanks

Old 12-23-2011, 09:55 PM

8 posts, read 9,453 times
Thank you for all of the useful information, it is greatly appreciated. Ideally we would like to have everything lined up before we arrive, but being in FL with no possibility of visiting before we move, there is just no way around moving on blind faith. But we are hardworking and determined : )
Again, thank you for all of the information and well wishes. I hope everyone has a happy holiday : )

Old 12-24-2011, 08:27 AM

21 posts, read 47,928 times
My wife, son (now 13) and I moved here 4 years ago from DC....the main reason...we wanted to live a simpler, peaceful, lower stress life. Also, we wanted our son to be raised without thinking about what kind of car he was going to get when he turned 16! I lived in DC my whole life - 40 years- and I never realized how CRAZY it truly was there....OMG - COS is stunning, the weather is fantastic! Almost everyday is sunny, even when it is 30 degrees...no need for coat...just beautiful! We live downtown right near Colorado College - we can walk to everything, and hiking and biking is right behind us - I can usually get a hike in before work depending on the weather...there is nothing better. As for schools, I don't know how old your kids are, we LOVED the Elementary school in our neighborhood (Steele) fantastic. As for the Middle School (North) - not so much - we pulled our son out and put him in Private School - he is now in 7th grade. Two downfalls that others have mentioned..politics and culture...not very diverse which is the first thing you notice here. Also, too conservative for us (hence, the reason we picked Downtown area to live) - but our life is SOOOO much more peaceful, simple and quiet! BTW, I am in medical sales and driving is a piece of cake around this town..LOVE IT!

Old 12-24-2011, 09:47 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Pam, I've been singing that same song for almost six years now in this forum....thanks for sharing your story...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs