U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 07:45 PM

66 posts, read 120,806 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Lincoln, Nebraska, and after I graduate high school next year, want to pursue a career in Computer Science/Engineering and Artificial Intelligence.

Nebraska is NOT a technology state by any means. I was born in Denver but never got to experience it while I lived there (Mom was from Alliance, NE had medical complications due to being born pre-mature.), and have traveled there a couple times, as well as have family that lives in Windsor. A college that really attracted me was UCCS. I'm also looking into the University of Washington for their degrees, but haven't made a full decision yet. I would wait a year to gain residency, then apply to college from there (don't want to pay out of state tuition.) I will also not be owning a car, as I prefer not to have one for money's sake.

Does anybody have any feedback on this, or other college's in the CS/Denver area that might serve my needs, or insight as to if this plan is a good idea? Could be just a pipe dream, but I've always been told to never give up. At least I have a plan. I will note that U. of WA is excellent in the technology field, only downside is it's 1,700 miles away from Nebraska, and Colorado is closer. Not really a big deal, but its something to consider.

Thanks Everyone! I await your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,265,578 times
Purely from a school standpoint, UCCS has a well-respected engineering program...and a sweet new building too! However overall Washington is a much larger, national university with a much larger endowment and vastly more resources. Seattle definitely has more career opportunities as well. However, either one would be excellent programs for engineering and bravo to you for pursuing it as a career path!

From the 'no car' standpoint, that will suck big time in COS, especially for the first year while you gain residency. UCCS offers little on campus, and it's not walking distance to anything except for some restaurants at a new shopping center. It's also at the top of a massive hill so it's not great for bicycling, say, to downtown, which is several miles. I would strongly recommend figuring out personal transportation...maybe a scooter? A close friend going with you who has a car? UW would be easy peezy without a car, for obvious reasons which I'm sure you know!

I'm a UCCS alum (Go Mountain Lions!) and although I wasn't a CS/EE major I loved my experience there- despite the third-rate funding there are lots of first-rate professors...I'm sure even more so in engineering. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2011, 10:11 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times
Great review. I'm planning on the MBA program at UCCS, working on getting in state tuition. If I don't get it I might wait a year to avoid paying out of state. It would suck, but that's the burden of taxation. Some people just decline the transaction to avoid paying a higher cost. It creates a situation in which everyone loses, but the student may lose less for that option than for paying out of state rates.

A scooter seems wise if you are at UCCS.

I do implore you of one thing. You seem like a VERY intelligent kid. I made a bad mistake when I went to college and moved across the country after graduating. You MUST HAVE placement assistance. So, your decision should include a very careful analysis of which city you would want to live in after graduating. Seattle has a bigger market, but you might prefer the traffic, humidity, sunshine, etc of the mountains. I would choose UCCS, as I currently have chosen it in my own life. Do not go to school with the intent of moving after you graduate. More than half the job search is nepotism. Knowing people is more important than being competent in your field. It sucks, but that is the world we live in today. It may change at some point, but if you choose to ignore it and hope it will go away you risk setting yourself up for a terrible fate. I would much rather live in CS than Seattle, but I can respect that for many people Seattle is a great place.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I do implore you of one thing. You seem like a VERY intelligent kid. I made a bad mistake when I went to college and moved across the country after graduating. You MUST HAVE placement assistance. So, your decision should include a very careful analysis of which city you would want to live in after graduating.
Which is why Seattle might be a better choice. I wouldn't need a car, even if I lived in the suburbs as living in Seattle proper is quite expensive. And the job opprotunities are there, especially in the field of Artificial Intelligence, Aerospace, and Computing. Washington also has mountains, which I like. I've never been there before. Would it be a good idea to visit UW before I make a final decision? It might not be possible given the distance, but it'd be helpful.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:53 AM
SYS

336 posts, read 993,738 times
You'd need to also think about the following questions for yourself: 1) Am I going to eventually pursue a grad degree after the B.S., and if so, would it help to have a degree from a more recognized national university or a relatively unknown, regional university towards grad school admissions? 2) Likewise, would it help to land myself a job -- and in well-known companies with better salaries -- if my degree is from a national university rather than regional? 3) Would I be more mobile (I'd assume you'll be moving around the country with several job relocation in your life time), again, with a national university degree or a regional?

I'm not knocking UCCS. I had worked there for 5 years, and I like the educational quality, faculty, its state-of-the art facilities, its future outlook and growth, etc. In today's shaky economy and unpredictable future, any sort of advantage would help in the cut-throat, competitive job market. It really comes down to which institutional degree do you think would help you land that job after graduating. Obviously, there are many other factors that go into the way your future's going to shape up. Earning a degree from Harvard doesn't necessarily translate into a luxurious and posh future. But, I'd say "go west, young man."

Old 12-14-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYS View Post
You'd need to also think about the following questions for yourself: 1) Am I going to eventually pursue a grad degree after the B.S., and if so, would it help to have a degree from a more recognized national university or a relatively unknown, regional university towards grad school admissions? 2) Likewise, would it help to land myself a job -- and in well-known companies with better salaries -- if my degree is from a national university rather than regional? 3) Would I be more mobile (I'd assume you'll be moving around the country with several job relocation in your life time), again, with a national university degree or a regional?

I'm not knocking UCCS. I had worked there for 5 years, and I like the educational quality, faculty, its state-of-the art facilities, its future outlook and growth, etc. In today's shaky economy and unpredictable future, any sort of advantage would help in the cut-throat, competitive job market. It really comes down to which institutional degree do you think would help you land that job after graduating. Obviously, there are many other factors that go into the way your future's going to shape up. Earning a degree from Harvard doesn't necessarily translate into a luxurious and posh future. But, I'd say "go west, young man."
I would definately go for a Masters in CS, absolutely! Thank you for your insight, it's helpful. Sounds like UW is the best choice for me. Thanks everyone!

Old 12-14-2011, 10:39 AM
SYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjvirchow View Post
I would definately go for a Masters in CS, absolutely! Thank you for your insight, it's helpful. Sounds like UW is the best choice for me. Thanks everyone!
Best wishes and good luck!

Old 12-14-2011, 11:07 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYS View Post
UCCS isn't on the national radar as much as UW, but you can bet that an average engineering grad school AdCom has probably heard of UCCS in the context of engineering. Also, as a grad school dropout, I can tell you that the school you did undergrad in will not be nearly as weighted towards your grad school admissions decision as you think...other aspects of your application package will take higher precedence.

Obviously it seems UW is the obvious top choice, but make sure and apply to UCCS + other schools as well in case it doesn't work out. Competition for good engineering programs is tight. And realize that UW is going to be tougher logistics-wise. All that said, best of luck!!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:37 PM
SYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Also, as a grad school dropout, I can tell you that the school you did undergrad in will not be nearly as weighted towards your grad school admissions decision as you think...other aspects of your application package will take higher precedence.
I agree that other aspects of the application package do (and should) weigh more. Depending on the competitive selectivity of the grad school, though, where you did an undergrad degree can make a significant difference. I'd bet (I'm not silverspooned Romney, so I can't bet $10,000 ) that the percentage of students who got accepted into the grad program to CS powerhouses like Berkeley, Stanford and MIT is much higher out of UW than UCCS.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:03 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times
Having done a great deal of research on Masters, and starting mine in July, I can rest assured saying, "you would be surprised". There is much more parity than you'd expect, and some of the top schools in terms of future performance of students or best return on investment are not on the national radar. Generally speaking for business there are three types of MBA programs. One that cares primarily about academic ability (this is my preference), the second that cares about what they see as your work history (I don't like these because they favor supervisors at McDonald's who are not in any way qualified to be in the program), and then there are those that simply want unique people--these are usually top schools and they hide the actual qualifications so they can choose to reject several top applicants in favor of who they want. Since they have an abundance of incredible applicants, it won't hurt to wrongly reject several future CEOs.

There are some firms that weigh heavily on the school you went to. I considered attending Harvard for that very reason. Ultimately I decided that doing that would force me to stay on the east coast for most of the best job opportunities and that's not where I wanted to live. Further it would require me to take out huge amounts of debt, which is a dangerous game in this economy. The real value would come from meeting people who routinely place highly capable adults into executive positions.

Having met with people who were working on wall street, I feel quite confident in saying that at least some of the analysts there have very little knowledge of basic economics even after graduating with an MBA from a top 5 business program. Education is not significantly different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs