Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 11:40 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,109,179 times

Advertisements

People are dumping unwanted dogs and cats. I saw a beautiful retriever (no collar) yesterday walking along a fenceline. Saw him again this morning further east of town. I hope he found some food and water.
Last month someone left a very young puppy (had to be bottle fed) in the parking lot next door.
Some idiot released dozens of rabbits along the highway a couple of weeks ago.
What the hell is wrong with these people.
I'd like to leave THEM in a ditch. RP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 11:56 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,839,777 times
I'm with you on that sentiment - it's an awful thing to do.

But also, you never know - that dog may have "escaped" from his owners. If I see a dog or a cat, I at least go and look at the "lost pet" reports on the Humane Society's website - because you never know. I always try to get to them so I can help them out, but sometimes that's not possible.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:21 PM

6,416 posts, read 7,627,635 times
Animal cruelty is totally disgusting and I can't understand what is wrong with people who do that.

I live in a San Jose condo and people also leave sick and unwanted pets on our grounds. I can't tell you how many cats have been left that are in the end stages of kidney disease. Some of the good hearted people here will pick up the vet bills as the rescue agencies in this area only want animals they can sell. We don't even bother calling them anymore and I hate to see the animals go to a shelter.

On the up side, we have taken in some really good pets from the streets, and in return, we get lots of companionship from them for a little food and medical care. Someone else's loss.

I understand that some people might have difficulty these days with the costs associated with pets but there is no need to just throw them away as many will become ferral without human companionship and die horrible deaths.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:55 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,545,314 times
Call Animal Control, call the Humane Society. If you're in Teller County, call TCRAS. All these operations are more than wonderful. If you can safely take an abandoned animal to a local vet, do so. If not, clall police or animal control and let them retrieve the animal. There is no reason for these animals to be left abandoned. They can be taken to humane places and cared for.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:40 AM

641 posts, read 2,270,963 times
People are morons, and our city has its share.

Agree with post above...the city does have animal control that can come out to round up the critter.

Last edited by Terytee; 12-14-2011 at 08:06 AM..

Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 PM

50,368 posts, read 23,960,107 times
Is it true that to get an animal from the local Human Society, or to drop one off there costs $100. That's what I was told today by a neighbor. If so, that explains a big part of the problem.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:01 PM

16,433 posts, read 22,138,300 times
Some people would abandon their children if it wasn't against the law.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:55 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,079,018 times
Yes, charging people to drop off an animal is the same as charging them to recycle something. When it costs to recycle, even the ones who wanted to will often just chuck it into a dumpster. When I adopt from an animal shelter, I expect to pay for the animal I'm adopting. I accept that as reasonable. I don't like a system of charging both ends, it encourages abuse.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:45 AM

727 posts, read 1,361,744 times
According to their website the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region charges $25 for a dog relinquishment, $15 for a cat. I think that it's reasonable for a modest charge, and most people with the means to pay, should be expected to do so if they expect someone else to take care of what was formerly their pet. However, I also agree that it's a disincentive for those either unable to pay, or for some reason unwilling to pay. Unfortunately, all too many of these latter instances result in pets being abandoned, and it's heartbreaking. I'd feel much more comfortable with the "fee" being recast as a suggested donation, as opposed to a hard and fast fee. Certainly it would result in less revenue for the Humane Society in the short term, but, with the right public relations campaign, might result in more unsolicited donations from other sources to help balance their budget.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:31 PM

50,368 posts, read 23,960,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
According to their website the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region charges $25 for a dog relinquishment, $15 for a cat. I think that it's reasonable for a modest charge, and most people with the means to pay, should be expected to do so if they expect someone else to take care of what was formerly their pet. However, I also agree that it's a disincentive for those either unable to pay, or for some reason unwilling to pay. Unfortunately, all too many of these latter instances result in pets being abandoned, and it's heartbreaking. I'd feel much more comfortable with the "fee" being recast as a suggested donation, as opposed to a hard and fast fee. Certainly it would result in less revenue for the Humane Society in the short term, but, with the right public relations campaign, might result in more unsolicited donations from other sources to help balance their budget.
I don't think that's unreasonable, either. But it might be for someone who already can't afford to keep their pet due to the economics of it. I like your idea of a suggested donation. When a donation is suggested, I usually go for what is suggested or even a bit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs