U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 07:32 AM

69 posts, read 193,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub1120 View Post
To Mike from back east, you nailed it. Texas is screaming for me to leave. Transplanted Texans sometimes have a bad reputation in New Mexico. Is that true in Colorado as well? If so, how does a guy avoid that. Thats important to me for business.
I believe that no matter where someone moves to, transplants are always viewed somewhat negatively in small communities as they represent change and that's one thing small towns don't usually seek out. However, you'll find there are a ton of transplants in Woodland Park, mostly Texas and midwest from my observations. I don't think it's a big deal (but I myself am a transplant so what do I know... ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 08:19 AM

20,315 posts, read 37,826,095 times
Quote:
To Mike from back east, you nailed it. Texas is screaming for me to leave. Transplanted Texans sometimes have a bad reputation in New Mexico. Is that true in Colorado as well? If so, how does a guy avoid that. Thats important to me for business.
Some of the old timers in COLO have a bad attitude towards anyone coming here, from anywhere, so ignore them. One of their gripes is that too many Texans come up here and throw their money around in showy or amateurish ways, behave badly on ski slopes, and/or try to "lord it over people" about where they're from, etc. Anyone can be guilty of those things, not only Texans. Just being low key and friendly is all you need to do to fit in just fine...i.e., no block-long Cadillac with a huge rack of longhorn horns for a hood ornament.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:04 PM

928 posts, read 1,033,621 times
Default Ain't it the truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I'm curious about the merit of that lawsuit. I do not recall any provisions in the constitution that authorize the federal government to create a department of education, much less to declare education within a state to be unconstitutional.

It's a challenge, money has to come from somewhere, but taking it at gun point from anyone who owns property is a pretty dangerous way to force people to not opt out. The city has some of the best public schools available, and yet retains some of the very lowest property taxes. That's value.

I'll have to tour the schools at some point, but where I grew up there were only 3 stalls with doors on them for men. There were 2400 students. There was competition for the stall where people wouldn't be watching you take a ****. Even then, it wasn't a lack of funding but a misuse of funds.
You hit that nail dead on.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:06 PM

928 posts, read 1,033,621 times
Default However ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Some of the old timers in COLO have a bad attitude towards anyone coming here, from anywhere, so ignore them. One of their gripes is that too many Texans come up here and throw their money around in showy or amateurish ways, behave badly on ski slopes, and/or try to "lord it over people" about where they're from, etc. Anyone can be guilty of those things, not only Texans. Just being low key and friendly is all you need to do to fit in just fine...i.e., no block-long Cadillac with a huge rack of longhorn horns for a hood ornament.
It's okay to put those longhorn racks on your Subaru Outback!

Old 12-15-2011, 08:22 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,113,411 times
My wife and I love Woodland Park. Been here almost 4 years. It's definitely colder up here than in the Springs, which is great in the summer. Yesterday we got about 2" of snow in the morning, enough to snow pack the roads from WP to Cascade. Not an ounce of snow in the Springs area. So the 2,500' in elevation makes a big difference.

Don't know about the schools yet, our son is just 13 months old. Property taxes are a bit higher up here than in the Springs. I pay about $1600 a year on our 2400 sq foot house. It would be closer to $1,000 down in the Springs. Just paid around $180 to heat it the previous month (gas), but no A/C in the summer evens it out.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:33 PM

24 posts, read 55,098 times
It is sorta windy, esp. toward divide and florissant and more so if your house is on a ridge line. WP itself is not too bad wind-wise. Coloradoans profess to loathe Californians and Texans, but that does not stop them from moving here. Just please do not tell everyone how great the Cowboys and/or Texas is: we'll ask you to return if you like Texan things so much . But seriously, I moved from ALBQ which is hot and windy, though not hot and windy as West Texas (only part of Texas I have been to recently) and am so happy to be back somewhere it is cool, with water, and weather other than hot and windy. If you visit you know what I mean. It's a good time, house price and interest wise, to move here as well.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:53 PM

4,670 posts, read 6,748,293 times
Quote:
Don't want to mention any names, but where I live is no longer "friendly"...people have become impatient, rude, and in a huge hurry. And I don't enjoy consistent winds of 25-50 mph with gusts of 60-70 mph. 115 degree summers and -10 degree winters are hard to take. And 6 years of drought has taken its toll. Did I mention the wind? (more windy days than not) I love Colorado ( the mountains, the rivers, the trees, the cooler summers, the rain, the snow, etc...Woodland Park seems to be a great place to raise a family. Can anyone give me a reason not to relocate?
The only reasons I could see NOT to relocate to Woodland Park would be nightlife (none to speak of) and not much for the kids to do after school or on weekends. There's one movie theater, several restaurants that are usually closed by 9:00 p.m. even on weekends, so any entertainment will probably be 20 miles down the pass in the Springs, and the pass can get pretty dicey if it's snowing at night (or in the day if the snow is heavy).

When our kids were teens, we didn't have cell service north of Divide, and thinking of them driving the pass on dates in high school, or even Hwy 24 if they stayed in WP and came home to Divide was nervewracking. (We lived another 8 miles NW of Divide on an unlit, two lane road off of Hwy 24)

If kids not having much to do, and snowy roads don't bother you, then it's a beautiful place to live!

Old 12-17-2011, 08:21 AM

2,407 posts, read 5,157,949 times
When you do come for a visit to check WP out...check out the giant donuts, cinnamon rolls & etc at the Donut Mill. Biggest donuts you've ever had. Our favorite is the twist, you will be addicted to them. A much better taste than the GIANT cinnamon rolls.
Best of luck on your adventure.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:16 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,529,101 times
Quote:
Tell 'em you're from Oklahoma, They won't know the difference.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:52 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,709,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt314159 View Post
The conflict is with Colorado's state constitution, this isn't a Federal issue:
About | The Lobato Case
It's worth reading up on.
Thanks Matt. Going to give you rep on that one. I love it when someone else knows the constitution.
Is there an "against" site to read the other side of the argument? Clearly this is a strongly biased site as they view spending more money per student as good thing--which is the opposite of business process. I'm not suggesting neglecting children, but when I see family members struggling financially the first thing I want to see is a family budget so I can see what opportunities are wasted. If our children could attain the same levels of success at lower costs, that would be a huge boon. For instance, large pension payouts, watered grass on school grounds (something most of us can't afford for our homes), and some of the extra curricular activities (not saying all), represent uses of money that few parents would agree to pay for if they had to pay the entire cost out of pocket at the time of service.

Feel free to PM it. I don't mean to drag this thread off topic, as this is a woodland park thread and the connection here to woodland park isn't very strong unless the OP is specifically interested in schooling for his/her children upon relocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs