Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 PM

5 posts, read 16,113 times

Advertisements

Don't want to mention any names, but where I live is no longer "friendly"...people have become impatient, rude, and in a huge hurry. And I don't enjoy consistent winds of 25-50 mph with gusts of 60-70 mph. 115 degree summers and -10 degree winters are hard to take. And 6 years of drought has taken its toll. Did I mention the wind? (more windy days than not) I love Colorado ( the mountains, the rivers, the trees, the cooler summers, the rain, the snow, etc...Woodland Park seems to be a great place to raise a family. Can anyone give me a reason not to relocate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 PM

6,803 posts, read 10,443,585 times
Well, some people think we get a lot of wind here, too. Personally, I don't mind it. And we have drought problems at times. I'd suggest coming out for a visit if you can to see if it really floats your boat.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:49 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,538,406 times
Wwhat kind of experience are you thinking you'll have in Woodland Park? It's windy. A lot. It's at 8500 ft., about 40 minutes west of Colorado Springs. It's a small town; nothing big as far as entertainment, unless you're fond of Denny's, Walgreen's and Wal-Mart. It's pretty rural; does have a seasonal golf course, lots of outdoor activities, but is known as being fairly rustic. It's snowy and cold in winter; rainy and cool in summer. It's unique, and it takes people who can put up with its uniqueness, ruralness, distance to Colorado Springs, distance to schools, town, and other typically, rural, open spaced areas. There are many articles in the archives about WP, many by me, as a 40 year resident....it takes a special type of person to love living there....

Last edited by Marcy1210; 12-13-2011 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-14-2011, 05:22 AM

Looking for a place to raise a new baby girl and expose her to as many outdoor activities as possible. (hoping to avoid Wii"s and X-box) We like rural and rustic; don't care for more than twice/month commute to the city. My business and hobbies are outdoor. My wife is an author and school teacher. Don't mind some wind, just don't want to fight it daily. Our hometown has had 4" rain and 5" snow in last year and half; and consistent wind damage since 2006; plus record setting heat annually(110-116) We vacation in Colorado and love it there. I will check out the archives. Thanks so much.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:24 AM

69 posts, read 222,955 times
WP can be a little windy at times, but never really feels 'windy', certainly not to the point where it's annoying (though that's different for places just west of here, from my experience at least). Weather is perfect. 'cool' in the summer means you never need A/C but you're still wearing shorts. Afternoon thunderstorms in the summer are common, but they're predictable and easy to live with.

From a family perspective, Colorado is facing continued massive budget cuts to the schools and the voters recently rejected a short-term tax increase to help fix that. On the other hand, school funding has gotten so bad that a lawsuit recently found it to have reached unconstitutional levels of funding, so there's hope that'll improve. WP schools are great right now so no immediate cause for concern, and chances are schools in your area are facing budget cuts as well. It does seem that demographics are starting to skew a little towards the gray-haired side around here, so getting more young families would be great to help balance that out.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 PM

26,131 posts, read 48,774,094 times
From your description then I'd say you're in Texas, and we're getting a lot of weather refugees from there this year.

There is no reason to avoid moving here.

There are tons of places up around Woodland Park, that will give you the space and quiet you seek, but you will see some -10 stuff each winter, some wind and the higher the elevation the more snow you'll get.

A wooded area that's milder than the high country is the Black Forest area at the far north end of El Paso County. Search realtor.com on zip code 80908 and you'll find lots of homes on wooded 5-acre lots.

Some areas of Palmer Lake and Larkspur may also fit well.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:32 PM

914 posts, read 2,191,667 times
The Woodland Park area has many vacation rentals available by the night (usually three night minimum) or by the week. For $500 in lodging expenses an entire family can come and get at least an idea of the area, talk to locals, eat in the cafes, and shop in the local stores. There are quite a few rentals on VRBO.COM in the Woodland Park and Divide (just six miles west of Woodland Park) areas.

If you really like rural and rustic think a bit farther up US 24 and look at Divide or even Florissant.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
From your description then I'd say you're in Texas, and we're getting a lot of weather refugees from there this year.

There is no reason to avoid moving here.

There are tons of places up around Woodland Park, that will give you the space and quiet you seek, but you will see some -10 stuff each winter, some wind and the higher the elevation the more snow you'll get.

A wooded area that's milder than the high country is the Black Forest area at the far north end of El Paso County. Search realtor.com on zip code 80908 and you'll find lots of homes on wooded 5-acre lots.

Some areas of Palmer Lake and Larkspur may also fit well.
To Mike from back east, you nailed it. Texas is screaming for me to leave. Transplanted Texans sometimes have a bad reputation in New Mexico. Is that true in Colorado as well? If so, how does a guy avoid that. Thats important to me for business.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:55 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,073,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt314159 View Post

From a family perspective, Colorado is facing continued massive budget cuts to the schools and the voters recently rejected a short-term tax increase to help fix that. On the other hand, school funding has gotten so bad that a lawsuit recently found it to have reached unconstitutional levels of funding, so there's hope that'll improve.
I'm curious about the merit of that lawsuit. I do not recall any provisions in the constitution that authorize the federal government to create a department of education, much less to declare education within a state to be unconstitutional.

It's a challenge, money has to come from somewhere, but taking it at gun point from anyone who owns property is a pretty dangerous way to force people to not opt out. The city has some of the best public schools available, and yet retains some of the very lowest property taxes. That's value.

I'll have to tour the schools at some point, but where I grew up there were only 3 stalls with doors on them for men. There were 2400 students. There was competition for the stall where people wouldn't be watching you take a ****. Even then, it wasn't a lack of funding but a misuse of funds.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:29 AM

69 posts, read 222,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I'm curious about the merit of that lawsuit. I do not recall any provisions in the constitution that authorize the federal government to create a department of education, much less to declare education within a state to be unconstitutional.
The conflict is with Colorado's state constitution, this isn't a Federal issue:
About | The Lobato Case
It's worth reading up on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs