Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 8,843 times

Advertisements

Wow all this helped and I really appreciated so many people giving me their thoughts on this. I have to decide by this Friday so it is down to the wire. Can anyone tell me about the crime in the Springs, I have heard reports that it is a little out of control?

I am leaning towards Littleton so I can be close to some night life and the NFL games as I love football. My biggest thing is that I do not want to live in the flats of Denver, I assume from Littleton I will not feel like I am in the flats. Will I be able to see the mountains or the foothills from town?

I have spent some time in COS and have enjoyed my visits and thought what a great town and with only an hour or so to Denver I thought I am still close enough to get to games and shopping if I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 11:43 AM

643 posts, read 2,385,793 times
From just about everywhere in Colorado Springs you will be able to see the mountains. For game day, you can take I-25 to Lone Tree/Greenwood Village and take the light rail that drops you off right at the stadium. I'm not sure about views in Littleton. One thing to keep in mind is that if you are in the foothills you won't see the mountains behind them. Living in Colorado Springs, I don't time my trips around town to avoid traffic, because there isn't a need. In Denver, you need to be mindful of traffic in areas, particularly around I-25.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:32 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,318 times
I think Marcy's comments are spot on. Littleton is, for all intents and purposes, an extension of Denver. Denver's a big city, with big city sports, entertainment, and night life. COS is a mid-sized city with more of a small town vibe. There's a cultural life here but you have to look a little harder to find it than you would in Denver. If you haven't been to either place, you have to realize that neither COS nor Denver is in the mountains. Both are flatlands, and that includes Littleton. You look to the West and see the mountains. Look to the East, you see Kansas. Depending on where you live in the Denver area, you see a wide expanse of mountains wherever you look, but but you're not in the mountains or the foothills, for that matter. If you live in COS, if you live anywhere east of I-25, while you're pretty much at the base of the mountains, you're still in the flatlands, looking at Pikes Peak and Cheyenne Mountain to the west. If you live west of I-25, you're essentially in the foothills of the mountains. From Denver, if you continue to the west, you'll find foothills communities, such as Golden and Evergreen, but Denver itself is flat. I hope this answers your question about your biggest concern.

As for the NFL and other major sports, you're undoubtedly closer to them if you live in Denver. But, don't forget, you're only an hour or a bit more from COS to Mile High (not counting game day traffic near the stadium). Personally, I wouldn't let that be my decision point. Don't forget, even from Littleton, you'll be dealing with the Denver traffic on game day (unless, of course, you take the light rail. Not sure of the route, but assuming it runs from Littleton to the stadium. Other posters, help me out here).

As for crime, check some of the more recent posts. There are links to the crime stats. Anecdotally, I don't think you'll find that COS crime is out of control by any stretch of the imagination. We did have more homicides this year than in the past, but some of that may be reflective of the times we live in right now. I think the consensus of most of posters on this forum is that COS is a safe community with generally low crime for its size.

Bottom line. My suggestion is to let your lifestyle rule your decision. If you love the outdoors with close proximity to bike and hiking trails, etc., and prefer a small to mid-sized city, with less traffic a more laid back lifestyle, COS might be your better bet. If you want a big city lifestyle, with all the nightlife, shopping, and wide variety of cultural and entertainment options (along with the tradeoff of more traffic, higher cost of living and the other attendant hassles of big city life), then Denver and its suburbs (e.g., Littleton) would probably be more suitable. Regardless of which you choose, I don't think you'll be making a bad decision either way.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:49 PM

486 posts, read 1,497,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
I think Marcy's comments are spot on. Littleton is, for all intents and purposes, an extension of Denver. Denver's a big city, with big city sports, entertainment, and night life. COS is a mid-sized city with more of a small town vibe. There's a cultural life here but you have to look a little harder to find it than you would in Denver. If you haven't been to either place, you have to realize that neither COS nor Denver is in the mountains. Both are flatlands, and that includes Littleton. You look to the West and see the mountains. Look to the East, you see Kansas. Depending on where you live in the Denver area, you see a wide expanse of mountains wherever you look, but but you're not in the mountains or the foothills, for that matter. If you live in COS, if you live anywhere east of I-25, while you're pretty much at the base of the mountains, you're still in the flatlands, looking at Pikes Peak and Cheyenne Mountain to the west. If you live west of I-25, you're essentially in the foothills of the mountains. From Denver, if you continue to the west, you'll find foothills communities, such as Golden and Evergreen, but Denver itself is flat. I hope this answers your question about your biggest concern.

As for the NFL and other major sports, you're undoubtedly closer to them if you live in Denver. But, don't forget, you're only an hour or a bit more from COS to Mile High (not counting game day traffic near the stadium). Personally, I wouldn't let that be my decision point. Don't forget, even from Littleton, you'll be dealing with the Denver traffic on game day (unless, of course, you take the light rail. Not sure of the route, but assuming it runs from Littleton to the stadium. Other posters, help me out here).

As for crime, check some of the more recent posts. There are links to the crime stats. Anecdotally, I don't think you'll find that COS crime is out of control by any stretch of the imagination. We did have more homicides this year than in the past, but some of that may be reflective of the times we live in right now. I think the consensus of most of posters on this forum is that COS is a safe community with generally low crime for its size.

Bottom line. My suggestion is to let your lifestyle rule your decision. If you love the outdoors with close proximity to bike and hiking trails, etc., and prefer a small to mid-sized city, with less traffic a more laid back lifestyle, COS might be your better bet. If you want a big city lifestyle, with all the nightlife, shopping, and wide variety of cultural and entertainment options (along with the tradeoff of more traffic, higher cost of living and the other attendant hassles of big city life), then Denver and its suburbs (e.g., Littleton) would probably be more suitable. Regardless of which you choose, I don't think you'll be making a bad decision either way.
Agreed - especially with that last statement!

Old 01-03-2012, 02:55 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,686 times
The only real difference is that Littleton is a suburb of a major American city while Colorado Springs is a mid-sized city itself. Otherwise, they cities are extremely similar in terms of culture, demographics, "feel," things to do, and, perhaps, politics, too.

I live very near Littleton because I like living in a larger metro area. But I think Littleton and the Springs are two of my very favorite cities in the state--probably because they are both quite similar.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:06 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
There are actually "two" Littletons. There is the city of Littleton, which is located primarily in Arapahoe County, and to the west there is an area of unincorporated Jefferson County that is called "Littleton" for mailing purposes.

The city of Littleton is directly south of downtown Denver. At one point in time it used to be a separate town from Denver, but the cities have merged together. Its advantages are that it has a small, quaint downtown area, a light rail line that goes directly to downtown, an excellent view of the mountains, and a mix of old and new housing types.

Unincorporated Jefferson County is basically a suburban community. It is made up of residential neighborhoods and has no real downtown center other than a large shopping mall. It has a major commercial artery (Wadsworth Blvd) where you can find mostly chain type stores and restaurants. Its major advantage is that it has an awesome parks and rec district, and is much closer to the mountains, with some areas (like Ken Caryl Valley) actually being in the foothills. There is a lot more open space (Chatfield state park, Chatfield arboretum) and wildlife (deer, elk, coyotes, fox and an occasional bear) in the area.

Outdoor rec opportunities abound.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:48 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
When I think of Littleton, I think of it being Broadway/Bellview/Sheridan/C-470. Farther west in Jeffco doesn't really count as Littleton, other than that it's Post Office designation. It's more Ken-Caryl and Southwest Plaza bordered by Sheridan/Bellview/C-470 west and south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs