Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:22 AM

2 posts, read 8,841 times

Advertisements

OK so I have tow job transfers and I need to choose soon. One is in the Springs and the other is Littleton. I thought the Springs would be nice living in a city but still in the mountains. Is Littleton flat like Denver? Is Crime a big issue in the Springs, I hear it is on the rise? I have no kids to schools is not a big deal. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 12:46 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
What kinds of things interest you? Your answer will greatly determine the advice people give you.

Littleton is a Denver suburb, and you'll have greater access to better shopping, world class arts/entertainment, major league sports, and better night life.

Colorado Springs is its own city and a nice one but, but it does not offer the same level of amenities as you will find in Denver. Still if you are more into outdoors activities, there are several options like Helen Hunt Falls and Garden of the Gods (both are good day-hike destinations) all within city limits.

Cost of living should be slightly lower in Colorado Springs as well, so if your job offers both offer the same income, your paychecks might stretch farther in Colorado Springs, so that is something else to consider.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:21 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
I moved from overseas to Colorado Springs a little less than 2 years ago. I have done quite a bit of exploring in the Denver area, and really like Littleton. But, I do like the Springs, as well. I think the major question is whether you want to be in a moderate sized city, or a big city. Colorado Springs has sort of a small town feel to it, is quite pleasant, friendly people, the kind of restaurants and shopping opportunities you would expect in a small city. Denver, on the other hand, has it all. In terms of the mountains, you're more in the heart of the mountains in Denver via I-70 and a short drive.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 AM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
Littleton is nice, but it is basically Denver - so do you want to live in a huge city? If so, go Littleton. If you'd rather live in a smaller city, choose the Springs. Springs is closer to the mountains, but Littleton is actually closer to some things to do in the mountains probably, such as skiing, although I'm not sure. Neither are actually in the mountains, but from parts of the Springs you can literally be in them in just a few minutes. Things are probably a little cheaper and a little more conservative in feel in the Springs.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:56 AM

310 posts, read 1,246,286 times
Colorado Springs has a very conservative feel.
Littleton has a more fun feel.

Springs has more wind and potholes.
Littleton has more money.

Springs has Security/Widefield/Fountain/Monument/Manitou
Littleton has Denver/Aurora/Inglewood/Lakewood/Morrison/Centennial/

Natural beauty? Springs has it but Littleton has it too and way more lakes up in Littleton area. Closer to skiing too. More people for sure.

Choose Littleton.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:53 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
My parents lived in Littleton for over 30 years, from the time it was literally a cow town waaaayyyyy south of Denver until it was basically just an extension of Denver. They lived on the west side at Coal Mine and Sheridan. It was semi-countryish. Columbine Country Club was across Platte Canyon from their home. Littleton has money. Polo Grounds, Country Club, and near the Bow Mar area with its lakes. Where we lived was close to Chatfield Reservoir which is incredible, and right near C-470 which would take you to the mountains. There are other highways to the mountains, as well, where as with the Springs, it only has Hwy 24 to get to the mountains. The Ken Caryl area is west Littleton and it's very nice. There's light rail in Littleton that will take you straight into Denver, which makes it easy to get to LoDo (Denver) and all the other Denver attractions--Coors Field, Sports Authority Field at Mile Hi, the Zoo, museums, theater, 16th Street Mall, Cherry Creek for shopping (high end), Southwest Plaza, Park Plaza Mall and Southglenn Mall, as well as Castle Rock where the outlet stores are. There are several Universities in Denver as well as hospitals, Children's Hospital and the CU School of Medicine. DIA is a looonnngggg way NE from Littleton, but it is a Hub, and International, so you can fly direct to many cities in the US. Littleton also has a quaint downtown area that has lots of stores and restaurants.

Colorado Springs is a self-contained town pretty much, with some mountain areas to the west that are fun to check out--Woodland Park, Divide, Florissant, and Hwy 24 going west over Wilkerson Pass to South Park. There is more natural beauty in the Springs. Pikes Peak is awesome. Colorado Springs has everything one could want except the lively night life of Denver or the museums and theaters. It is close to the foothills, and Pikes Peak towers over the Springs. Littleton is about 10 miles east of the foothills, more toward the plains. It is warmer in Littleton generally, than it is in the Springs, and they don't get the afternoon thunderstorms as frequently as the Springs does because they are farther from the mountains. There is a smaller airport in the Springs, which is really easy to maneuver compared to DIA (which I think personally is the most complicated airport I've ever been in), but there aren't a lot of direct flights. Most go through Denver. SE Denver even has an IKEA. (So does Phoenix, and I'm in Tucson, so that doesn't help me...)

There are pros and cons of each city, so it just depends on what you're looking for. Urban Metropolitan, nightlife, shopping, theater and lots of people/cars; or smaller town feel, self-contained, not as lively and for most of the entertainment-- theater, sports and nightlife you'll have to go to Denver anyway.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:52 AM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
Some people think Littleton is a little 'off' or 'creepy', a-la Columbine, but I haven't been there enough to know, myself. I'm sure some people think the same about here, or any other place for that matter. It would be nice if you could visit.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:52 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
I liked downtown Littleton a lot. Nice small town feel to it, and still close to "the real" Denver and the mountains. Almost wish I'd have moved there instead of Colorado Springs.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:05 PM

71 posts, read 193,681 times
I live in Monument, which is 15 minutes north of Colorado Springs and 45 minutes south from Denver, (on a good day). One thing I have noticed is the traffic is much more congested and the drivers are more aggressive when I head toward Denver. I would not want to drive in it during rush hour every day.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:48 PM

171 posts, read 218,743 times
Yeah there is NOWHERE to shop in the Springs, choose Denver.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs