U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 07:33 AM

15 posts, read 37,541 times

Advertisements

Hi All!
My husband and I are very excited to move to the CS area this summer with our three children. We are coming from a town of about 8000 in Wisconsin. I work from home and my husband will look for employment based on where we chose to live. We would like a smaller town feel (CS itself is too big for us). We are looking for a very family friendly and safe community (housing prices in the 300K-400K range). Also, activities available for kids? We home school, so perhaps a home school group? We've looked at Woodland Park and Black Forest.......any other recommendations? We don't mind being about an hour away from the city as long as the town is big enough to get us the basics any family would need. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 07:57 AM

1,207 posts, read 4,137,134 times
The Tri-Lakes area, Monument and Palmer Lake, would be a good fit for you. Monument is 15 minutes north of COS and 45 minutes south of the Denver Tech Center. Monument has several supermarkets, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Kohls, and many resturants.
Palmer Lake is a much smaller town a few miles northwest of Monument. There are a few resturants and not much else. One of the more attractive areas to live in my opinion.
Woodland Park is nice, but will limit employment opportunities due to it's location.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 AM

25 posts, read 45,789 times
Roughy, how old are you kids?

I agree with vfrpilot's reply above as options to Woodland Park and Black Forest. I LOVE the Palmer Lake area and lived there when I first came to Colorado. My kids, which are both in college now, loved it also.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:38 AM

71 posts, read 160,882 times
I second Monument. Our family moved here with our teenage daughter and really love it. My neighbor home schools her children, though the school system, (District 38), is wonderful and one of the reasons we chose to live here. Our neighborhood is called "Woodmoor" and very family/kid friendly. The crime here is VERY low and has a small town feel. We moved from a similar small town with good schools in Ohio and fit in here right away. There are plenty of trees much like Black Forest, (which neighbors Monument). As mentioned, we are 15 minutes away from Colorado Springs and about 50 minutes from Denver, (on a good day).

Good luck on your home search

Old 12-31-2011, 11:26 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,701,296 times
Indeed, monument would be a great place to check. Your options are very wide open if you really don't mind being an hour from town. That almost requires a work from home situation though.

I'm not sure about your reasons for home schooling. Clearly that is a choice between you, your spouse, and your children. When you move here, you may want to look at the local schools and discuss it with your spouse. I was home schooled for part of my childhood because the schools in that area were dangerous. If your home schooling is related to coming from an area where the public or private schools were not being ran correctly, you may find the situation very different around CS. For me, when I was able to switch to going to a public school it was a blessing for me and my parents. It's your decision how to raise your kids, I just wanted you to know that you are moving to an area with some of the best public schools in the country so you would be aware of options when making your decision.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:58 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,137,134 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Indeed, monument would be a great place to check. Your options are very wide open if you really don't mind being an hour from town. That almost requires a work from home situation though. QUOTE]
It really doesn't take any where near an hour to get to Colorado Springs from Monument. I've made it to the Pueblo Airport in 1:05. Same for DIA with light traffic. It's 13 miles to the Academy Airfield from my house on the north side of Monument, and can usually make it in 20 mins. I've got neighbors that work in the Springs, Pueblo, and Denver.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:29 AM

15 posts, read 37,541 times
Thank you all so much for the info! Our kids are 6, 5, and almost 2. We will definitely check into Monument! I have heard wonderful things about the school system in COS. While we will likely continue to home school our kiddos, it is really nice to know that there are better opportunities for children going to public school out there. Children in our community are at a serious disadvantage based on our school system.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:03 PM

170 posts, read 697,742 times
I would also suggest to keep Woodland Park in mind. It is located more west, tucked away in the mountains!

Old 01-14-2012, 09:43 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,701,296 times
[quote=vfrpilot;22345378]
Quote:

It really doesn't take any where near an hour to get to Colorado Springs from Monument. I've made it to the Pueblo Airport in 1:05. Same for DIA with light traffic. It's 13 miles to the Academy Airfield from my house on the north side of Monument, and can usually make it in 20 mins. I've got neighbors that work in the Springs, Pueblo, and Denver.
I didn't word that as well as I could have. I didn't mean to infer that monument was an hour outside of town, but rather that there were several destinations that may go unmentioned but be available outside of town. If a 1hour commute isn't a bother, then Pueblo even qualifies. Divide qualifies. Calhan qualifies. Etc.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:22 PM

67 posts, read 119,483 times
I would like to take this opportunity to "toot" Woodland Park's horn. It is a small, friendly community with great big personality. Not a lot of eateries but it is a still growing, vibrant town. WP issued a record number of business licenses in 2010. We love it!!! And, by chance, we have many friends in WP from Wisconsin. We are originally from Iowa so during football season we have really great times together. Good luck with your move. I am confident that where ever you move to in the CS area you will be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs