U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 02:59 AM

15 posts, read 19,968 times

Advertisements

Aloha all!

I have been persuading my husband for the past 5 years or so to move back (my) home and we are finally financially in a position to make this happen. Island living is eating us alive!

Here's the crummy part, he is a lead carpenter (a very good carpenter mind you) but a carpenter just the same. Is it ANY better there than it was a couple years ago? Is anything being built? I heard about Bal Seal building a manufacturing plant there. Does anyone know who the builder is to get in contact with? BTW, if anyone is in need of a great carpenter starting in May or June...I have a great one!

Thanks in advance everyone!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 02:10 PM

309 posts, read 359,739 times
Be sure to check with the home builders in the area regarding job openings. We are building a new home with Richmond American and I know at Grey Hawk Estates alone they have sold at least 8 new homes/lots since October (and they build all over Colorado Springs).

I know we'll be needing some carpentry work done towards the end of the year (built ins, wainscotting, etc.) If your husband ends up wanting to do some side jobs as well, let me know.

We considered moving back to the Honolulu area when my husband retired from the military but the cost of living is just too high. I get homesick often but it passes quickly once I pass the gas pump (gas is about $2.90 today as opposed to around $3.79 in Honolulu) and go to the grocery store. (I have fresh milk delivered by the dairy and it's half the price of milk in the islands!) The Asian market here sells Portuguese sausage and there's an L & L Drive In so that helps, too.

I hope everything goes well with your move - this forum is a great resource for information and help. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Maika'i Pomaika'i!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:06 PM

840 posts, read 2,036,294 times
I'm a plumber and Colorado Springs is my hometown. I'm heading back soon myself.

Unfortunately, most of my trade contacts tell me things are still slow. Not completely dead, just slow.

I'm working outside of my trade for now and probably will for awhile to come. I personally don't care for the service side of the plumbing trade, so I can't wait for new construction to bounce back......

Old 12-31-2011, 02:34 AM

I have been coming back to this board from time to time for a few years now and I think the way things are going, now is the time to move. We have lived here for 10 years now and as hard as it is for my husband to leave home (he's from Kaneohe), he knows if we stay here, it wouldn't be a good situation for us or our two small children.

Mrs. Mac, my husband is always doing sidejobs! HAHA...its a way of life here you know! HE has the capability of building houses from the ground up but its so darn expensive here to get a contractors license here but hopefully that will change once we get contacts in the Springs! Much cheaper and easier to do that down there.

I keep telling Brian that there's L&L in Aurora and he will be glad to know that we can get Portugese Sausage there instead of having it sent here! We should just bring our rice cooker and we should be good right?? Mrs. Mac, where are you from? We live in Ewa Beach (Iroquois Point to be exact).

BTW...gas is just under $4 now...gallon milk $4.69...just bought bananas today for $1.19 a lbs...Cheerios $4.69 for a 15 oz box...ahh yes, the price of Paradise...whatever!

Greenscout...be patient...slow is better than dead, right? :P

Old 12-31-2011, 05:32 AM

1,331 posts, read 4,418,642 times
My son lives in Ewa Beach also...he is in the Navy. He says it is very pricey there!! He has been there for almost 5 years! He is looking to do shore duty in Denver!

Old 01-02-2012, 03:24 PM

641 posts, read 1,956,750 times
Actually, there's an L&L right here in the Springs...one of my favorites!....no need to go to Aurora, but there is a large Korean super market in Aurora also, and some small Japanese markets in Denver, so it makes getting Asian food easy enough. It's no Hawaii, though!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:59 PM

thats great that L&L has expanded. shows you there is a demand for it...more and more locals are moving away..getting too expensive to stay...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs