Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 02:46 PM

12 posts, read 20,546 times

Advertisements

I know some people might not know the answer to this but I was curious. Even though I will be looking for a job when I get there and I do have a small savings, can I receive unemployment benefits until I find a job? I really don't want to but just in case it might be necessary. Thanks guys this board has been so helpful. Inbound to COS June 6

Old 01-08-2012, 06:33 PM

10 posts, read 20,970 times
Default unemployment benefits

I moved here december 2010. I voluntarily left a job to move. I was unable to draw unemployment benefits because I left my job voluntarily. I was told you draw benefits from the state your last job was in. In my case it was California, maybe rules vary state to state. This is a tough job market. I am a registered nurse with 26 years experience, so far I have only been able to secure a per diem position with a hospital...

Old 01-09-2012, 06:46 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,714 times
It's a good thing to research for sure. I know if you leave a job voluntarily you don't get unemployment benefits, but I don't know how it works if you move here from out of state.

I don't know if this link will help, but perhaps it's a start. CDLE - Employ Train:Find a Workforce Center

The market is super tough everywhere. Jobs are just scarce and the jobs that are out there are filled very quickly. Good luck to you!

Old 01-09-2012, 02:09 PM

643 posts, read 2,385,577 times
You cannot claim unemployment benefits if you left work voluntarily. Unemployment benefits will come from whatever state holds your base period regardless of where you currently live or where you last worked. To establish a base period, the unemployment office will look back for up to 18-24 months. For example, if you worked for 2 years in state A, then 5 months in state B, then you move to state C, you are likely to get benefits from state A.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:35 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
Leaving voluntarily disqualifies for benefits. The entire system is terrible. If you have a job, it would be wise to be removed from it through the employers choice so you can qualify. If they suggest you were fired for cause--to prevent paying benefits, the burden of proof will be on them.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:10 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,290,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Leaving voluntarily disqualifies for benefits. The entire system is terrible. If you have a job, it would be wise to be removed from it through the employers choice so you can qualify. If they suggest you were fired for cause--to prevent paying benefits, the burden of proof will be on them.
Why in the world should a person be allowed to draw UI benefits if he was the cause of his own joblessness (i.e. quit or was fired for cause)? That's like expecting to receive a check from your car insurance company if you intentionally drive your car into a lake.

Unemployment isn't supposed to be free money you get from the rest of us just because you don't have a job. It's insurance against losing your income due to reasons out of your own control.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:40 PM

166 posts, read 432,776 times
You can't get benefits if you didnt pay in... I wouldnt call it 'getting money from the rest of us' and it definitely isnt free... you have to have earned to be able to make a claim.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:44 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,178 times
Not sure what the practice is in Colorado, but my experience is that if you quit or were fired for cause, you are not eligible to collect unemployment insurance. Where I used to work in HR, we used to get questionnaires from the state asking us to verify that the former employee applying for UI was not fired for cause and did not quit voluntarily. The person was eligible if there was a reduction in force or layoff or if the company went out of business. In other words, if the person lost their job through no fault of their own, they'd be eligible. There are some nuances, depending on what state you live in.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:59 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,859,463 times
I was surprised recently to learn I could collect on a few piddling temp jobs I had, simply because the temp agency didn't place me in any jobs after these jobs ended. But not knowing your work situation, none of us can answer that. However, it doesn't cost you anything to try. Log on here and follow the steps: CDLE - Unemp Insurance:File for Unemployment
You'll either qualify or not.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-15-2012 at 03:47 PM..

Old 01-15-2012, 05:26 PM

12 posts, read 20,546 times
Thanks everyone for the info. I know I drew unemployment when I left the military some 15 years ago. Since that time I have always worked. Wasn't sure how it work. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs