U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 04:08 PM

12 posts, read 18,158 times

Advertisements

I am from a small town call Dothan, AL. Even though I know some nice people here, if your not born, bred, raised there you are an outsider. I have met with discrimination on and off the job. I was passed over for a supervisor position not because I wasn't qualified enough, it was because I was black. The guy that got the job never graduated from an accredited radiology program, mind you I hold a bachelors in Radiology with a minor in business. The quote from the director was " cream rises to the top and all the murk falls to the side." I have been called everything from the "N" word to pretty little colored girl. I know that can happen anywhere but I hope that coming to COS it would be less noticeable. The only thing that these people care about is the good ole boy system. Mind you the hospital I work at there is only a handful of blacks that hold degrees only two have management position. This from a facility that has over 3000 employees. I have read the message boards and everyone has been so friendly and helpful. How friendly are the people because I would love to learn new things like skiing, hiking and anything else that COS has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 04:24 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskew330 View Post
I am from a small town call Dothan, AL. Even though I know some nice people here, if your not born, bred, raised there you are an outsider. I have met with discrimination on and off the job. I was passed over for a supervisor position not because I wasn't qualified enough, it was because I was black. The guy that got the job never graduated from an accredited radiology program, mind you I hold a bachelors in Radiology with a minor in business. The quote from the director was " cream rises to the top and all the murk falls to the side." I have been called everything from the "N" word to pretty little colored girl. I know that can happen anywhere but I hope that coming to COS it would be less noticeable. The only thing that these people care about is the good ole boy system. Mind you the hospital I work at there is only a handful of blacks that hold degrees only two have management position. This from a facility that has over 3000 employees. I have read the message boards and everyone has been so friendly and helpful. How friendly are the people because I would love to learn new things like skiing, hiking and anything else that COS has to offer.
Either COLO SPGS or Denver will work well for you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:43 PM

727 posts, read 1,135,011 times
saskew330: We have some very good hospitals in COS. Penrose is rated one of the to 50 in in the country. Memorial is also highly rated. Check them both out on line for job openings. I would think that with your background and education, you'd be a good candidate for any openings in your field, and would probably be treated a lot more fairly than it appears you've been. Denver's more diverse than COS, but this town is pretty much live and let live, at least from our perspective of being newcomers. I don't think you'd find the same environment you're experiencing in AL.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:54 PM

18,886 posts, read 8,867,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
saskew330: We have some very good hospitals in COS. Penrose is rated one of the to 50 in in the country. Memorial is also highly rated. Check them both out on line for job openings. I would think that with your background and education, you'd be a good candidate for any openings in your field, and would probably be treated a lot more fairly than it appears you've been. Denver's more diverse than COS, but this town is pretty much live and let live, at least from our perspective of being newcomers. I don't think you'd find the same environment you're experiencing in AL.
I pretty much agree with Carrera. COS is pretty much live and let live, but it also is "pretty White", so just be aware of that. For example, Alabama is about 26% Black, while Colorado is less than 4%. Colorado Springs less than 7%, and I'm not sure if that includes minorities in the military here, which is significant.

There is an attitude here about outsiders...although I have most often heard it in regard to outsiders from Texas and California. We have a handful of people right on this forum that pull the old "native Coloradan" crapola every once in a while.

However, having said all of that, I find Colorado to be much more open and friendly than NYS, Maryland, or Virginia (the state I lived in previously). I have found it very easy to make friends here...much more so than where I previously lived. Of course, there are a few curmudgeons.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:04 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,922,123 times
Though Colorado has a higher percentage of white people, I do not believe you would experience the racism that you do in Alabama. You certainly won't experience the idea of "if you weren't born here you don't count." It isn't often that I actually meet someone that WAS born here. Most people I know have moved here from elsewhere.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:13 PM

8 posts, read 18,532 times
Colorado Springs. I have spent 1 week there this past summer for vacation, city, people, and the atmosphere were amazing. Lots of stuff to see/do.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:42 PM

478 posts, read 569,296 times
I've lived in Colorado Springs for 7 years, and everyone here seems to get along just fine. There isn't that racial divide that there is in some cities. The demographics here for the city are like 70% white, 15% hispanic, 7% black, and like 3-4% asian. It's also a heavily military influenced city too, so that also brings a lot of people of diverse backgrounds. Suburbs like Security-Widefield and Fountain also have fairly diverse populations being so close to Fort Carson, which itself has diverse demographics seperate from the city. Lots of nice neighborhoods where everybody lives together, and gets together.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:48 AM

114 posts, read 176,864 times
I lived in Alabaster, AL for about 10 years, and have family in Dothan - so I'm familiar with the mindset you're dealing with. I'm white, so I see it from the observer's perspective, but racism in AL is definitely alive and well.

I think you'll be amazed at the difference here! People seem so much more accepting of differences, be it race, religion, nationality, or football preferences. It's a very transient city, so people here are from everywhere - I think that help immensely with the generally welcoming atmosphere.

I wish you the best of luck on your move!

Old 01-14-2012, 09:52 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
Saskew,

Sorry to hear about your situation. The south and midwest, in my experience, often are the least willing to deal with people they decide are "different". I'm white and living in Iowa--clearly not part of the minority, however I have experienced a similar situation with regard to "not being from here". Dutch is considered white, but a dutch person from the west coast is still an outsider. I'm hoping when I move to Colorado there will be less discrimination. Less geographic, and less racial. I know what it feels like to be passed over when you have the degree and experience and the position is given to someone else off family connections and disreputable dealings.

Congratulations on taking the high road. I'll be happy to have you as a neighbor. If I dare to generalize, and I will, people with a Bachelor's in a medical field and a minor to boot tend are more than likely going to be upstanding members of the community. Those qualifications reflect on the decisions you've made in your life. It'll be Dothan's loss when you bring those talents and knowledge to our economy.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:37 PM

12 posts, read 18,158 times
Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement. I have always viewed people as people. Color of a person skin means nothing to me. My biggest issue with people has always been ignorance. Nothing against Dothan, AL but they prefer to be 20 yrs behind alot of places. I am so excited abt my move and of couse a little fearful. I am truly moving to COS on faith. So in faith I can't wait to join the community, raise my kids in a kinder atmosphere, make new friends, and maybe.....well I will see...xoxo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs